My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Nannies: market rates (bit controversial)

878 replies

Tanzie · 10/04/2005 19:35

Having read on another thread ("Paying Nannies when sick") gripes from UK nannies about jobs going to girls from accession countries who will work for less, (and do more in the way of housework), is this not just pushing the market rate down for qualified/experienced nannies?

I am not in UK, but I would look at it as providing more affordable childcare, provided you can find someone trustworthy and reliable. I lived in UK briefly about 4 years ago and a nanny friend of mine was earning GBP 25,000 and got a flat thrown in with it. This is more than I was earning at the time and could never have afforded this sort of money for someone to look after my children.

I am not suggesting slave labour from Central European girls, or paying them an au pair's "pocket money" for what is essentially a nanny job, but paying them a reasonable wage and providing free accommodation means that a lot of people, who could not afford a nanny or nursery fees, will probably be able to get back to work.

Of course, there will always be those who want a Norland nanny and can afford one, but it seems to me that your average Mum would welcome these Central Europeans with open arms...

I'll run and hide now...

OP posts:
MrsBigD · 10/04/2005 19:59

Hey Tanzie, don't hide... I'm with you on that one as I'm looking for affordable childcare for my 2 kids and cm's and 'official' nannies just are way too expensive.

Also when I interviewed some nannies after dd (babe 1) was born all the British once categorically declined to help around the house, except for things directly related to the kids. I didn't ask for much, just unloading the dishwasher and emptying out the tumble dryer (no ironing) which she/he could have done when dd slept and it would only take 10 mins or so. No offence to any British nanny who does help around the house Then I got a German help and she even did things I hadn't asked her to do as she didn't want to sit around doing nothing when dd slept! Unfortunately she's gone back home

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:07

You get what you pay for. I trained in the very prestigeous Chitern College and worked my guts off for it. I know i am a good nanny and only ask for my wage becuase i deserve it. I do appreciate that it is a lot to pay but that is why the right nanny needs to be fitted to the right family for them ie those who can afford and do appreciate the best quality of care for their children.

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:08

i also didn't go to college and do two course in the space that most nannys do one to empty dishwashers and clean the house.

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:13

Why shouldn't nannies be subject to the same market economics that families are subject to?

It seems that the going rate for nannies is purely a factor of supply & demand economics. It has little basis on their investment in education and training. Now that the supply has gone up, the prices are under pressure.

Why should housework be beneath an English nanny? SAHMs take housework and childcare in their stride; why should WOHMs get such a raw deal?

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:20

i come home and do my own house work and childcare too. would you like to do two lots of housework???

Anchovy · 10/04/2005 20:20

The agency I used said that they would expect nannies to do "family life" type jobs and instruct all nannies on their books accordingly. (My nanny is a UK national, NNEB trained). This means, for example, her emptying the dishwasher if it is full and clean (so that she can put the next lot of dirty things in). On the same basis, I would empty "her" dishwasher. Similarly washing - can't get all my washing done to a neat timetable - our nanny is primarily responsible for the childrens' washing but will put out stuff in the tumbler if it in the washer and she needs to put stuff in the washer, just as I will finish off the children's stuff for her in the evening. She will also stay in for deliveries and pick up odd bits of food shopping for us. Frankly I would think a nanny is being obstructive if they didn't do this.

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:24

Do you employ domestic help, Nannyjo? When I WOH, before having children, I used to do my own housework. It didn't faze me then either.

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:24

i do all those things that are for the children, shopping washing, cleaning their nursery. I tand to hand wash dishes cos there is only a few not a whole dishwasher full from a whole families meal. I am paid to care for the children and things that involve them not to look after their parents aswell

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:25

Can't expect the nanny to miss Neighbours by having to run the hoover around the living room, eh?

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:27

Sounds like Euro nannies are able to not only look after children but also do a little bit around the house as well. A parent would be a mug not to consider them.

What added value does an English nanny bring, apart from knowing all the words to Ringa-Ringa-Roses?

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:28

never watched tv t work in my life. Do you get a break at work or are you expected to work 24/7 for nothing aswell?

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:29

Funnily enough, I am expected to work whenever for nothing....

I don't even get CTC.

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:30

maybe you need au pair who only do part time childcare mainly house work. You need a bit more training to appreciate and apply good childcare

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:31

2 degrees not enough

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:31

not sure what ctc is but there are laws over here. some people try to encourage equality.

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:32

CTC = child tax credit

PennyLane79 · 10/04/2005 20:32

I agree NannyJo you do get what you pay for. I think if you pay £60 for an aupair, someone who probably has no interest in childcare then don't be suprised when your children aren't making creative pieces and are stuck in front of the tellie instead.
But if you hire a expierenced/qualified Nanny from Europe that is slightly differen't.
But It's still annoying that people from other countries are coming in and taking our jobs. I'm sure the same parents who are hiring these people would feel just as pissed, if their company turned around and said actually we have decided to hire immigrants/assylum seekers as they will work for less money and work longer hours. Switch it around and see how you would feel.
Not to mention the cultural and language barriers that you might get with hiring a European au pair/ nanny. A nanny friend was telling me a story today of 3 boys who go to her charges school and they used to have a Nanny but she left as all the children were at school, so the parents hired a male spanish au pair, the guy can barely speak English and the children complain that he doesn't understand what they are saying. He says yes to everything without understanding what they mean i.e if they ask to have friends over he says yes yes, then when the day comes to have the friend over he says, oh no no cannot. Also he smokes in the playground???
I don't think you have to hire a Norland Nanny there are plenty of regular nannies, and there is the option of a nanny share and companies are becoming more relaxed about parents working from home. And also the Nanny voucher scheme is just comming in which will help some parents.

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:34

Yes, indeed - equality. There is now a level playing field between home grown Norland wannabees and nannies from the 24 other Euro states.

It's the same deal for anyone in any other career field. That means that families who employ nannies are under the same elements of competition.

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:36

thankyou pennylane. someone else who appreciates quality not quantity. I can understand skimping on a meal to save pennies but to skimp on your childrens lives to save pennies. i couldn't do that. I understand not everyone can afford nannies and that is the way lifer is but for us nannies who are better than au pairs etc, don't put us down for being good at our jobs!

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:36

What are you worried about, Penny? If you truly believe you have added value over Euro nannies, then you shouldn't have any problems finding a job and commanding a higher wage.

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:38

Oh, for goodness sake, what is so great about an English nanny?

Please enlighten us.

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:39

as with all other industries lo-cost substandard work from non qualified people unfortunatley is being accepted. Who cares if other industries degrade but would you be happy with that happening to you childrens development etc???

Ameriscot2005 · 10/04/2005 20:41

Oh, brother...

hatsoff · 10/04/2005 20:42

anchovy - we run a similar system here - the way that both we and our nanny view it is that officially she is responsible for children's wasing and dishwashing, but with only (!) one dishwasher and washing machine, and the fact that both we and the nanny agree it's wasteful to put half-loads on, it's actually not really practical to split it like that. So we all empty/load as and when, we all do an amount that is equivalent to what we would do if we stuck strictly to our own responsibilities (well, in actual fact we all do less coz the system is more efficient) and are all happy with the arrangement. For all of us a flexible system is easier. Nannyjo - don;t you think that's easier? My old nanny was extremely inflexible - she never helped us out with the result that we never helped her out. imo it makes the relationship a bit strained and formal. Isn't it human nature to help each other?

NannyJo · 10/04/2005 20:42

thorough efficient, continual care. only ther to concentrate on the develpoment of the children. not there to experience a different country and learn another language on the side. Don't tell me they aren't there for this cos i have met many au pairs in my life all here to experience england and get free board at the same time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.