My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Au pair / nanny questionaire

21 replies

Uwila · 07/12/2004 17:08

I'v had a lot of requests for this, so I just thought I'd post it here for anyone who is interested to read it without having to CAT me and wait for a response.

1. Describe a typical day’s activities for you and toddler1?

2. Describe a typical day’s meal plan for Toddler1 (include breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks)?

3. How would you describe your approach to discipline (as appropriate to a toddler)?

4. Do you have any degrees or diplomas in childhood education? Any degrees or diplomas in other subjects? If so, what subjects?

5. Do you speak any languages beside English? Would you teach it to Toddler1?

6. What is the longest time you would be willing to stay?

7. How many hours of television do you think a toddler should watch each day?

8. What kinds of television programs do you believe are acceptable for a toddler?

9. Why do you want to work in England?

10. If we travel as a family within the UK, would you want to join us? What about Europe? The United States?

11. Do you smoke? If so, how much?

12. Do you have any requests in terms of the accommodation we offer you?

13. Are you an au pair / nanny now? If not, why have you decided to become one?

14. What kinds of foods do you like to eat? (please be specific and use as much space as you need)

15. Do you drink alcohol? If so, how much?

16. How many hours do you want to work each week?

17. Describe your experience with babies/toddlers.

18. Would you be willing to provide overnight care of Toddler1 (in the unlikely event that both parents are required to travel for work during the week)?

19. Do you have a driver’s license? From what country? How long have you had it?

20. What do you like to do in your spare time?

21. Describe your personality?

22. What qualities make you well suited to be an au pair?

23. What is your worst habit?

24. Do you have a boyfriend/fiancé? If so, where does he live?

25. Do you know anyone in England? Friends? Family?

26. Would you take care of Toddler1 if she was sick? (she does not get sick a lot, I only ask as a precaution)

27. Do you have a credit card? A UK bank account?

28. Do you play any sports? Which ones?

29. Can you provide a reference from a previous au pair job? If so, please attach to this questionnaire.

30. How many times have you been sick in the last year? What was the illness?

31. Do you have any children? If so, what ages? Where do they live?
OP posts:
uwila · 04/04/2005 20:54

This has been revised a bit since I posted it. If anyone wants it in Word format, feel free to CAT me. I'll gladly share.

OP posts:
majorstress · 04/04/2006 09:41

Uwila are you still doing this!?!? you should publish a book. or at least a leaflet. and sell it on ebay.

Did you see that gal who got a blog book award for ranting about her mother's cookbook for a year? Her mother was Julia Child which helped I'm sure.

Uwila · 04/04/2006 10:00

Gosh, haven't thought of Julia Child in years. She must be dead by now.

And yes I still send the questionaore out now and then.

But, more importantly, how are you? How is you work / home life balance?

OP posts:
bossykate · 04/04/2006 10:01

hi uwila

thanks for posting this Smile

could you please confirm how you use it? iirc, you email it out to promising looking candidates and they send a written response, based on which you make a decision whether to interview?

tia Smile

Uwila · 04/04/2006 10:48

Sort of. I post an ad (somewhere like nannyjob.co.uk), I ask people to supply cv, recent picture, and salary expectations when they contact me. (many neglect the salary expectation, and I let it go if they do). However, if they don't supply cv and pic, I ask them to before I send the questionaire. Then, I send the questions, then I email them with clarifications (like if I ask what they like to eat and they say "everything", I have to prod a bit further).

One of the best things about the questionaire is that after doing this with say 4 different candidates it can be hard to remember who said what. So I can look back and compare notes.

OP posts:
bossykate · 04/04/2006 10:49

thanks Smile

majorstress · 04/04/2006 10:53

I myself use it as a source of good interview questions. I actually used some of the ideas to recruit someone at work! Most candidates I find refuse to fill anything in like this and I'm lucky to get a cv (though now I just prowl for simple babysitters all the time so what do you expect).

Work/life balance it ain't. I am working on my health issues and saying S*d it to most other things right now (feeling a bit aggressive towards male-dominated work and home, dh and boss are displeased but nuts to them). Just got a chance to put dd2 back an extra day after Easter (I applied in Sept) in old, convenient all-day nursery-but not telling anyone-Friday will be my "me" day! will catch up with things I want to do for myself. So, v pleased at that!Smile

Uwila · 04/04/2006 10:56

Then, I get written references, then I talk to the references. And then I pick one and call them for a chat.

OP posts:
Uwila · 04/04/2006 11:19

Oh good. You need a "me" day. Smile

Wish I had one. Envy

OP posts:
oops · 06/04/2006 09:48

thanks uwila,
this is great!

bakedpotato · 06/04/2006 09:51

Uwila, curious about why you ask for a picture?

oops · 06/04/2006 10:07

see how many heads they've got?
I suppose it just gives an impression of the person applying.
i saw 1 au-pair site that asked for height/weight etc which i thought was a bit too much

bakedpotato · 06/04/2006 10:18

If I applied for a job and was asked to submit a picture I'd be thinking: hmm, that's a bit off.
This is the one I would send, \link{http://www.hikingclub.ca/equipment/buy/potato.jpg\though}

Uwila · 06/04/2006 17:10

A picture tells a thousand words. Are they a slob? Do they dress like they are looking for some action (not interested in a nanny who is more interested in meeting boys than she is my kids). Just think you can tell a lot about someone by what thety look like.

Oh yeah, and to make sure she isn't prettier than i am. Grin

OP posts:
ks · 06/04/2006 17:37

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Uwila · 06/04/2006 17:40

Uh, cause if it's really high, then she wsting her time with me. Might as well both move ion at that point.

OP posts:
mishmash · 09/04/2006 11:03

Excellent Uwila - I am on the trail for an Aupair and these are great questions. Now just to find one who can teach my children Latin Grin

jura · 10/04/2006 22:17

Uwila · 12/04/2006 12:35

Oh, Jura. Do you have an update? Have you hired someone? Is lazy bones surfer queen still around?

OP posts:
jura · 12/04/2006 17:32

Uwila · 13/04/2006 10:21

Show off.

I'll e-mail you about getting them together.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.