My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CHILDMINDERS & PARENTS - step this way.......opinions needed on OFSTED and their paperwork and inconsistancies!!

322 replies

bloodsuckingLOONEY · 19/10/2007 22:36

A lot of us on here have moaned away about OFSTED and how they are getting worse and worse. Good childminders all over the country are quitting because they've had enough of the endless paperwork, training etc etc.

I want to get as many opinions as possible and send this thread to OFSTED as I feel very strongly about all this (yeah, yeah, probably hormones but still, felt like this before!)

So.....if you're a childminder....tell me what you think - I know a lot have said but please put on this thread.

Parents - what's more important to you....that we care for your little ones in a home environment, show them love and attention, play with them, take them out in the community etc etc or that we make sure you sign the attendance register, put posters all round the house, have 'wash your hands' signs in the toilet and 'no smoking' signs on all walls of the house, spend time writing endless observations as we go through the day etc etc.

I could have put it a lot better than that but I'm really tired, my eyes are getting blurred! I was going to wait until I was fresh tomorrow but I thought I'd strike whilst I feel so strongly!

ALSO....CHILDMINDERS.....what do you think of the INSPECTORS/INSPECTIONS? Fed up with them all saying different things and making you not know where on earth you stand? Fed up with some inspectors saying they'll never give out an 'Outstanding' grade just because that's them? Fed up with phoning up and being told one thing just to get into trouble for that info not being correct?

Give me all your thoughts as I really do want to send this to OFSTED but we need LOTS of you to come forward!!

Thanks, I'm off for my dinner now

OP posts:
Marney · 12/12/2007 10:18

Still no answers from Ofsted For all Iknow I will still have to stop childminding soon' As a single parent and no partner the job was ideal .I have two more children waiting to come here in January What are they trying to achieve a resignation .Ive shown them fantastic references the doctor said I dont have a mental illness there have never been any complaints about my childminding. I have always done all i could to keep children happy here and constantly looked for different ways to keep children occupied' I have the NVQ 3 in early years childcare and a certificate for working with children with Special needs
I LIKE CHILDREN
IT MIGHT NOT SEEM MUCH TO OFSTED BUT THIS IS MY JOB I have no support at all from my ex husband my child has no contact with him atall.When my child was 3 ihad to leave and go in a refuge .We had to start again in another town ive really been happy as a
childminder. But this is life. as ive said before icouldnt stop crying after a bullying inspection I was told id broken a regulation so yes I was upset. Even though there is no such regulation.
They should at least have the decency to let me know if iget to keep my job After my inspection was the fist time id cried in years does that mean im an unsuitable person or just that id had hardly any sleep for aweek and im not tough

Marney · 12/12/2007 10:18

Still no answers from Ofsted For all Iknow I will still have to stop childminding soon' As a single parent and no partner the job was ideal .I have two more children waiting to come here in January What are they trying to achieve a resignation .Ive shown them fantastic references the doctor said I dont have a mental illness there have never been any complaints about my childminding. I have always done all i could to keep children happy here and constantly looked for different ways to keep children occupied' I have the NVQ 3 in early years childcare and a certificate for working with children with Special needs
I LIKE CHILDREN
IT MIGHT NOT SEEM MUCH TO OFSTED BUT THIS IS MY JOB I have no support at all from my ex husband my child has no contact with him atall.When my child was 3 ihad to leave and go in a refuge .We had to start again in another town ive really been happy as a
childminder. But this is life. as ive said before icouldnt stop crying after a bullying inspection I was told id broken a regulation so yes I was upset. Even though there is no such regulation.
They should at least have the decency to let me know if iget to keep my job After my inspection was the fist time id cried in years does that mean im an unsuitable person or just that id had hardly any sleep for aweek and im not tough

Marney · 12/12/2007 10:22

SORRY CANT GET THE HANG OF THIS KEEP CLICKING TOO MANY TIMES AND GETTING ON TWICE HOPE IGET IT RIGHT THIS TIME STILL LEARNING.

LOONEYplayingachristmasTUNEy · 12/12/2007 10:46

Marney - Sorry I've not posted til now, been trying to get my head round your situation.

You had an inspection recently I take it? And when they pointed negative things out, did they actually say anything about maybe having to stop minding? Or were they just 'actions' on your report?

Tell me more and I'll try to help, just a little confused, sorry

Marney · 12/12/2007 13:43

No nothing was said about having to stop childminding i even got some goods but satisfactory overall.The inspector left me crying though and left saying id broken a regulation.Id put alot of time and effort into paperwork and done my best to cover everything.
On that day I had a child who arrives at 6am and stays for 12 hours not at school yetI HAVE NEVER BEEN PROSECUTED FOR .ANYTHING IN MY LIFE.
if id known such a regulation existed even though the attendance register says approximate times i would have put less approximate times . Any way ive gone into that already'
I was so upset i wasnt just crying iwas you know sobbing like you will never stop a wreck .i was still crying on and off the next two days
So on the day of the inspection I panicked

this child didnt know what to do although trying to help as children do saying you shouldnt cry like that and trying to be good .Tried to phone a friend not in.SO IPHONED SURE START CENTRE IWAS WORRIED ABOUT THE CHILD WHO PROB STILL HAD ABOUT FIVE HOURS LEFT
i couldnt handle phoning the parents .they work shifts and a distance away

Two really nice ladies came out but i think some one higher than them decided to tell Ofsted without telling me.So after a few days of crying im back at work sad it went as it did but glad ive still got my job The same child is back with me and parents saying how their children love coming to my house.I wasnt even going to complain.
But a week later I get a phone call another inspector and a manager are coming to see me in half an hour they say the inspector says she is concerned about my health.

I phone and ask sure start did they know about this the woman i speak to says yes she says we have to consider the childrens welfare

In walks a very un sympathetic inspector and quiet manager.The inspector is totally out of order.Innocently i answer questions such as have i ever had depression I am honest she becomes angry when i try to describe how the inspector had acted
I dont try again SHE SAYS HOW WERE YOU BEFORE THE INSPECTION I SAY HONESTLY FINE SHE IGNORES THIS .imention how i lost my nerve and messed up lunch once the inspector said the sugar free drinks had e numbers in and healthy food id been giving children didnt include enough variety.Her ANSWER TO THIS WAS
DURING AN INSPECTION YOU

SHOULD DO EVERYTHING AS YOU NORMALLY DO
sHE GOT WORSE ARE YOU ON ANY MEDICATION i was honest i take a mild anti depressant Whats the name of it never heard of it she shouts can you write it down .I can and do

and

she INTERUPTS SAYS CAN YOU GET IT I SAY ILL JUST FINISH WRITING IT.Then i go to get it if id been really un suitable i suppose i would have tried to tell them both to leave

As i go upstairs she shouts are you sure
its not diazepam i feel sickend by her
attitute and complete lack of understanding
I reply no its definitely not diazepam

butits a mild long term use antidepressant

ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF ITS NOW NOT POSS TO CHILDMIND AND TAKE SUCH A TABLET THE SAME TABLET I INCLUDED ON MY ORIGINAL MEDICAL IT HELPS ME SLEEP AND COPE IT IS NOT PROZAC AND IS REGULARILY PRESCRIBED IN THE GENERAL POPULATION

finally they left saying i would just have to fill in another medical .Once that was done inspector number 2 then requested isee their doctor which idid

sO THATS THE STORY AT LEAST ITS MAKING ME LEARN HOW TO USE A COMPUTER SO I HAVE MADE A COMPLAINT THEY HAVE ONLY SAID THEY HAVE RECIEVED IT AND IT SEEMS THIS SECOND INSPECTOR WILL MAKE THE DECISSION ABOUT MY JOB, ialso had aletter from an ofsted managager as mentioned before saying they could have prosecuted me but will keep me on record even though i hadnt done anything to deserve that, sorry its so long it wants changing its no way to treat people

Marney · 12/12/2007 15:53

Daily mail today twenty thousand two year olds to be given free nursery places would be good if parents could choose the kind of care they want
WHEN I PHONED OFSTED i was told i would soon get a letter havent phoned this week
At first i kept phoning trying to find someone who could here what i said.Had a lot of could you hold the line such a persons on holiday off sick or in a meeting such a person will phone you back then they dont.i did speak to someone who seemed decent eventually last week but still no letter.Oh ive also had the case has been closed but still had to go for a medical assessment It is going to be hard not to end up really bitter and its hard to deal with without a partner so thanks for asking looney ,Iknow ive been going over the top putting things on this i needed someway of letting it out i dont drink.I HAVE ENOUGH OF APROBLEM TRYING NOT TO SMOKE STARTED AS A CHILD no I DONT SMOKE WHEN CHILDMINDING IUSE THE PATCHES DONT WORRY NOT LEAVING ACHILD UNATTENDEDim notworking today Trying to but the tree up not really in the mood but im trying

LOONEYplayingachristmasTUNEy · 12/12/2007 22:28

Oh dear, what a nightmare. I was in tears after my inspection so I SORT OF know how you feel. All I can say is that I suppose they have to be careful as it's not quite the norm to be in SUCH a state after that you feel unable to look after the children and have to call for help. That's not a dig btw, I real feel for you as inspectors can be so horrible can't they I think it's good you picked up the phone to call someone in that situation as you're right, children shouldn't see that (I hid in the toilet to cry but then again, the children I had were old enough to be left for a couple of mins whilst I was in the loo). I suppose they have a duty to look into this as they could be worried about what can get you in such a state etc HOWEVER if the Dr said you're ok etc. then I wouldn't worry too much but I agree, it's a little unfair you are having to wait!!! When did all this happen?

And at what you put about all those free spaces - going to get harder for people to fill their vacancies and with the fees going up aswell..... do the government have a plan to totally get rid of childminders I wonder?!!

Marney · 13/12/2007 10:05

Thanks the looney inspection was in SEPTEMBER so it feels a long time.My life had felt good and I hadnt been down in years before the inspection .They could be a bit more sensitive and instead of treating
a person who cries as someone who could
be a danger to children imagine how threatened we might feel it s your job after all.Its also possible that their are inspectors who are not suitable.

i THINK THEY COULD BE IN LESS OF A RUSH TO PUT it all on the internet and make some suggestions such as be more accurate with times then send someone from sure start or where ever around in a friendly way to check its been done'It seems like they cant wait to put things on reports and put people in a bad light so parents will be put off.ALSO IF YOU HAVE CHANGED SOMETHING NOW WHY LEAVE IT on

BUT im lucky ive enough children to keep me going for a few years and children like me Being a person with feelings can make you sensitive to how children might feel and not a danger to children cant it.

lottiesmummy · 13/12/2007 10:11

It looks like we are being phased out, all these free nursery places... more rules being added for us... the new guidlines wanting us to basically be little nurseries...

whats going on, it is going to be so hard to fill vacancies soon

Marney · 13/12/2007 17:57

Have had the reply to my complaints
My complaint about accurate times was agreed with i was recording hours of attendance
The complaint regarding the second inspector who was aggressive and intimidating has not been upheld because they have denied this. Apparently this would be very out of character for this particular inspector. If only there had been somone else here. I would need a very good imagination to have created the way this inspector was. So they can carry on demanding to see any tablet you take and shout after you are you sure its not diazepam you are on because thats how it is I feel like crying but that gets you nowhere and just what is the point .I SUPPOSE THE FIRST INSPECTOR IS MORE HONEST AND NOT AS HIGH UP AS THE SECOND i wish iwas stonger and it didnt hurt so much it makes me feel like the world just isnt worth it because the people in power are there because they are just good at lying and bullying.Oh the decision about whether i am a suitable person is still to be made.

Marney · 13/12/2007 19:24

How do they justify the manager sending me a .letter saying i could have been prosecuted when they now admit i was keeping clear times.How is it fair to assess a persons suitability following the person being upset after being told they have broken a non existent regulation.
IF the first inspector hadnt been willing to be honest
though it would have been not so hard to prove the truth I do have parents who are solicitors
No they havent been giving me any legal advice .I got some advice from a human rights solicitor thought that was more appropiate
.Bit dissapointing though he seemed to think as ofsted are a gov organisation they can be trusted to be fair,So I .got the impression eventually the human rights are kind of supporters of the goverment.Im sure there are still some independant solicitors thoughThere are still some not goverment controlled things arent there

Marney · 13/12/2007 22:23

Should have learnt already to accept coplaints however genuine are not going to get any where ,When part of an action group to try and keep my childs school open the school organisation committe admitted they didnt even read the 310 letters sent by parents.after keeping us hanging on the ombusman said they had done nothing wrong but took a year to come to this decision
Just like the ofsted investigators they didnt meet the people complaining.Has my childs education been improved by the decision to close a small school very supportive of pupils with dyslexia far from it.IF ONLY OFSTED gave good to schools which deserve it instead of the ones pushing all the pupils on to courses which are supposed to be worth 3 or is it 5 gcses sorry im just so angry today

Marney · 14/12/2007 10:28

Ive already guessed what my next letter from Ofsted will say.Following concerns about your suitability to be a childminder
will arrange more frequent inspections to monitor your contiued suitability like i could cope with that or you would need regular visits which we cant accomodate.So why dont they just hurry up and finish what they started I mean Im still childminding and yet im unsuitable in there eyes
Oh guess what Ofsted can ASK ANY QUESTIONS THEY WANT TO to quote yesterdays letter They mustnt need rules having all been assessed as honest decent kind people whose only concern is the welfare of children

Marney · 14/12/2007 19:30

Just want to let Ofsted know why after doing my NVQ2 AND3 I decided to be a childminder I had worked in five different nurserys'One was lovelly a nice quiet person in charge But in the others i saw children being badly treated I couldnt face this anymore so chose to be a childminder which I have totally enjoyed'
What did i see in one a child age about 18 mths came into a nursery for his one and only visit naturally he started crying The nneb in charge couldnt cope with him crying and wouldnt let anyone else hold him.HE WAS then roughly put in a room on his own shouted at go to sleep and door shut;
Another nursery babies were put outside in their prams at the back even in cold weatherand the door was shut so you couldnt here them cry if they did;I often saw children being picked up by one arm
IN another the person in charge shouted at me to just shout at a little girl to stop crying obviously i didnt. SHE WOULD GET IT IN FOR CERTAIN CHILDREN AND THEY COULD DO NOTHING RIGHT a little boy took his dinnrr plate back and got yelled at what are you doing now'ANOTHER NURSERY WOULD PUT ALL THE CHIDREN AGE2 OR 3 IN A NOT VERY ATTRACTIVE ROOM AT A CERTAIN TIME then shout at any who were not sleeping calling them naughty;

iT ISNT MANY YEARS AGO THE NURSERYS ARE ALL STILL OPEN AND GET OKAY OFSTED REPORTS'the women in charge are strong confident women not likely to be intimidated and able to create a good impression

So ofsted meet my type nervous accuse me of breaking a regulation i react by crying
and need investigating What is the point of ofsted i couldnt hurt a child and childrens welfare has always been my first priority

AskABusyPerson · 14/12/2007 20:50

The attendance book thing is perturbing me. I've just started a new NCMA Attendance book and notice it now says 'Approx time of arrival/departure' and description in the front seems to imply that we should record the contractual hours not the actual hours of attendance. This seems v odd to me, I thought the attendance book recorded the times children were under the responsibility of the childminder. If I changed to the contractual hours thing then an inspector could quite rightly say I had too many children at a given time, how would that look???!!

For example, if I had full set of mindees and one of them was contracted to do eg 9-5 on a Monday, but the parents let me know the week before that they would be taking the child home at 12 for some reason (eg birthday party) then the attendance book would show 9am-5pm as per the notes in the front. However if one of my ad-hoc people had asked if I could have their child say on that Monday afternoon I would have said yes, knowing the contracted child was going at 12. An inspector would see both children as attending at the same time and would say I'd been over my numbers!! Any thoughts on this??!!

Marney · 15/12/2007 23:41

As long as you have your answers ready for your inspector preferably in writing and a written explanation ready for anything which an inspector might question you should be okay ! looks like we have to be one step ahead now to keep our jobs.But we are supposed to be self employed I THINK THEY ARE ACTING LIKE THEY EMPLOY US they dont .Its possibly time to involve legal experts and get a clearer idea of when they have the right to interfere.Im going to read it in my attendance book glad I know abOut that now in case I KEEP MY JOB!!!

nosnikrap · 16/12/2007 17:58

I've just completed my 6 week course and I am starting to think its not worth it, just the initial paperwork has put me off. Also I have met some other childminders who are so apalling in their attitude to children that I don't want to be grouped in the same category!! Maybe I'll just stick to work in a pre-school, rubbish money but no paperwork!!

Marney · 16/12/2007 20:24

Childminders make their own reputation you are self employed if the children like you and the parents are happy you keep getting work the parents tell other parents.The paperwork is well over the top though thanks to ofsted.

Katymac · 16/12/2007 20:33

I use a day-to-page diary

Write the children's names in on each day & get the parents to write in the time they drop off, then initial & then later the time they collect & initial

Marney · 16/12/2007 20:36

Found some jokes on OFSTED jokes
Whats the difference between an ofsted inspector and a skunk ? Some people like skunks
Whats the difference between an ofsted inspector and a rottweiler ?
You have a choice from YOU CAN HAVE A ROTTWEILER PUT DOWN A ROTTWEILER HAS ONLY ONE FACE OR A ROTTWIELER IS A LOT LESS AGGRESSIVE

Marney · 17/12/2007 12:58

They have admitted i did nothing wrong in recording the attendance ; they had already included this on my report claiming I had breached a regulation.and they said it would be removed from the internet but it has still been left on How long before they sort this out. If we gave false information in our paperwork we would be lucky if we kept our jobs

Marney · 17/12/2007 13:09

Ofsted came and Ofsted went
never felt that i was bitter
Till Ofsted made me jitter.

Principle of conduct for Ofsted Inspectors

Always be bold
Always be cold
Its so easy to squash
when you dont
give a toss
If they cry as you leave

It means youll suceeD

Marney · 18/12/2007 21:37

MY REPORT CLAIMING i breached a regulation is still on the internet EVEN THOUGH THEY ADMITTED ITS NOT TRUEand still no news about whether i keep my job, HAVE BEEN reading the cosultation on ofsted site its true they are thinking about putting people on if. they have ended their registration DONT THEY SEE THEY WILL HAVE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE TO A PERSON TAKING THEIR JOB, if they cant see that dont they claim to have childrens welfare always in their minds.W hat about the effect on THE ONCE A CHILDMINDERS CHILDREN OF MUM ON THE INTERNET AS SOMEONE OFSTED STOPPED CHILDMINDING BECAUSE THEY CONSIDERED THEM UNSUITABLE

shoshaliteupthetree · 18/12/2007 21:42

Oh for goodness sake Marney give over now love, theres a dear.

Marney · 21/12/2007 10:08

Its okay to have clearly planned procedures are inconsisttently implemented this hinders the safe and effective management'''' for example times of attendance of one child not completed in enough detail still on my report then.I will just have to believe ofsted will remove it as promised having admitted its not true as its the season of goodwill
I have contacted ncma they didnt get the letter i sent a few months ago but their legal advice line have promised a letter to ofsted to remind them to remove the report hope they get the letter
Obviously ofsted still havent decided if im a suitable person or not yet' if the welfare of children concerns them so much id have thought it would have been a descision they would make in a more timely way Obviously now its nearly chistmas i wish every one a happy and policy free year

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.