My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


Australian Visa Question

5 replies

tigger15 · 31/07/2007 09:28

We just offered a job to an Australian nanny (who told us she had a visa for another 18 months) and she has now told us that she can only work for another 6 months. From googling I think this means she has a working holiday visa (allows you in the country for 24 months but working for only 12 of those). Does anyone know how to get round this problem? We really liked the nanny but are looking for someone for at least a year if not longer.

OP posts:
Lawrene8 · 31/07/2007 11:43

I'd agree that she's probably on the working holiday maker visa - unfortunately there's no legal way around it. There's no extension to the working holidaymaker visa and australians can't register as an au pair.

alycat · 31/07/2007 12:02

If you can prove they are the only person for the job and readvertise the position (in a way specified by the Home Office) you can extend their visa.

Have only done this for my PR Agency staff not APs as I think it would be very difficult to prove they are the only person for the job.

However if they have a specific skill in relation to your children - I have to teach my APs Makaton as my DS communicates this way - you may give it a fgo. Generally a time/money consuming exercise. I probably wouldn't bother for an AP no matter how good.

expatinscotland · 31/07/2007 12:10

Does she have a British grandparent? She might be able to claim Right of Abode through them and stay on permanently.

nannynick · 31/07/2007 18:16

Alas not much can be done if on a Working Holidaymaker visa (see Working Holidaymaker Guidance - INF15 ) they can only work for 12 months in total out of their 24 month stay in the UK.

Expect you will need to hunt for another nanny.

NannyCheck · 07/08/2007 17:56

If she has a degree she may be eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa, although at live in earning rates she may not meet the requirements for salary- you can check eligibility by google searching 'highly skilled migrant visa calculator' and visiting the work permit. com website.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.