Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


Can you hire US/Canadian Au Pairs....?

10 replies

BrummieOnTheRun · 25/06/2007 08:48

I'm getting lazy and would ideally like someone I can communicate easily with, but understand the official definition of 'Au Pair' precludes anyone non-EU or non-Commonwealth???

OP posts:

NotQuiteCockney · 25/06/2007 08:53

Canadians are in the Commonwealth, for what its worth.

I don't know if there are loads of them dying to come over here and au pair, but they are Commonwealth ...


SueW · 25/06/2007 09:05

Hasn't PPH just hired an au pair for the summer from the US?

She did it through BUNAC though?


BrummieOnTheRun · 25/06/2007 09:14

Oooops to the Canadians. Well they've only been in it since...1931

Tks SueW. Will check out how BUNAC works.

OP posts:

SueW · 25/06/2007 09:26

I think she found the au pair independently but then the girl is coming over using the BUNAC scheme.


BrummieOnTheRun · 25/06/2007 09:30

I've just looked at Bunac and it says they can do any job as long as it doesn't exceed 6 months, but they can't be self-employed. Hmmmmm....

OP posts:

NotQuiteCockney · 25/06/2007 09:42

Before 1931, Canada was just part of the UK, I'd bet. :-P

Good luck, anyway.


expatinscotland · 25/06/2007 09:44

Canadians are Commonwealth. So are S. Africans, Aussies, Kiwis. She can hire one of those. They can come here and work as a 'working holidaymaker'.


BrummieOnTheRun · 25/06/2007 09:59

I've been in e-mail dialogue with a nice US girl (and seen the profiles of lots of great canadian girls) so that's why I was particularly interested in north american situation. but thanks expat.

if the yank thing is complicated I'll knock it on the head.

OP posts:

MintyDixCharrington · 27/06/2007 21:34

I've got a US girl coming over on BUNAC. It works because she's a student (has to be a current student or left in the previous year or something), and is coming to be a live in "au pair" for 8 weeks (can't be more than 6 months).

Card costs $220 though!


eleusis · 28/06/2007 08:26

You can hire from Canada (or any other commonwealth country) within a certain age rage (in their 20s?)and they can come over on a holiday maker visa for two years, and work for one of those years.

I highly recommend Canadians. My experience is that they are hard working, good communicators, and don't expect many of the perks the europeans consider to be among their civil rights.

My old nanny is from Canada and my new one arrives one week from today. The new one is also Canadain (but actually had dual citizenship (Canda and UK) so she can stay as long as she likes.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?