Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

NVQ Advice Needed

7 replies

KaySamuels · 12/06/2007 19:31

I started my NVQ level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development in September.
I am finding it really hard to get work done.

I find the work (written knowledge) a tedious excercise, I am capable of doing it, I think I am just in the midst of a paperwork overdose, sick to the back teeth of recording why I spoke to x in a xyz manner, what it benefits, etc.

If you do or have done an nvq my questions are:
How do you get the work done?
When do you find the time?
Where do you find the motivation???

Also since september I have had two - yes thats right 2, assessment visits from my assessor. When I ask her for advice she is very waffly and doesn't really answer your questions directly (this annoys me as I am quite direct in conversationand become impatient when adults waffle). She also says it is better to visit me when I have 3 mindees here (this is awkward as only have 5 mindees, youngest one is four, so rules out a lot of visiting opportunities). When I ask if this is necessary or jut preferable she just waffles on without giving me a straight answer.
Is this standard or should I be receiving more support? he college has a workshop once a fortnight on a tuesday which I haven't been able to go to as I work tuesday evenings, however, I went to one last week as mindee was ill, only to find they are now held on a wednesday! Not been told and I could have been going to them!

Thoughts, advice and suggestions welcome...

OP posts:

southeastastra · 12/06/2007 19:37

i'm doing an nvq (in another subject) and yes it is very hard to find the time and motivation. i find once i start i sort of go on a roll iykwim.

have they given you a cut off time when you need to complete it?

Katymac · 12/06/2007 19:38

It doesn't aound ideal

Is it posible to speak to the course administrator about the day change - sort of "could you send out an email if it changes again"

I don't know why she will only visit when you have 3 mindees - mine often came whne I had 1 or 2 (and occasionally when I had none to do paperwork)

I left my first assessor and got a new one as we didn't really get on - she didn't "get" my sense of humour

I never found the time & I was rarely motivated - it took me twice as long as it should have

But part of that is due to me feeling I was already better qualified than the NVQ

Not much help - sorry

KaySamuels · 12/06/2007 19:44

Yes I do feel as though I am doing it as a hoop jumping excercise (and a very long tedious one at that!).
She says she will get more evidence ticked off if I have more kids here but I don't see how? Surley I am demonstrating the same things whether I have one child here or 6!

Not sure about a cut off southeastastra, think it is two years max but not sure.

The other NVQ assessor who has seen my twice as a quick chat to verify my progress seems much more on the ball, and on top of things. If I asked to change tho would have to see current assessor and would feel awkward. (I'm such a wuss!!)

OP posts:

gooseegg · 12/06/2007 20:03

I did mine in 7mths two years ago.
How did I get the work done? In every spare moment I had I got stuck in obsessively until each unit was completed.
When did I find the time? I always had my head full of whatever I was working on so would grab any spare chance to type away and often worked until midnight.
Where did I find the motivation? I had definite two week deadlines for each unit to be completed and handed in. The sooner I got a unit completed the more NVQ headache free days I got each fortnight.
I work well under pressure.
Are you a member of the yahoo support forum for NVQ students? It's very useful.
I think you need to be assertive and demand appointments to be made for your assessments.

gooseegg · 12/06/2007 20:08

KaySamuels · 12/06/2007 20:56

Thanks for that link gooseegg, it looks great, will check it out later.

You sound very motviated and disciplined, I am in awe of you!! I could probably do to take a leaf out of your book!!!

Am hoping I can really crack on in the summer hols, also NVQ assessor suggested a couple of sumer holiday visits so will now hold her to that, maybe pin her down to once a fortnight if I can!! Have shorter working days in school hols, and am planning to have implemented a bedtime routine for ds too so hopefully will have evenings free to work. I am not pushy enough, you are right. Also my NVQ assessor probably does need an almost stalker like approach maybe!

Thanks all of you for your advice on this.

OP posts:

frankieb · 13/06/2007 07:38

Hi
i'm doing mine and desparately trying to finish before my baby arrives in Aug.
I do loads of mine as recorded discussion on dictaphone. My assessor is fab and is coming out every week.
The knowledge evidence questions are a bind but we try to talk most of them.
She used my childminding portfolio to get loads of evidence. I have a huge folder of stuff, menu plans etc etc.
I think you need to talk to the college and chat to them about changing assessor.
If you are like me you need someone to give you a kick its hard not working to definate deadlines as something more important always comes up.
Hope it works out
Frankie

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?