Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


Questions about teachers assistants...

8 replies

mindermummy · 08/06/2007 09:20

Its something i would like to do in the future, just wanted to kow a rough idea on how much they get paid and do they get paid all the holidays too??

OP posts:

NannyClaire · 08/06/2007 10:55

Well, I was looking at Teaching Assistant positions when I completed my CACHE Level 2.

The pay depends on which area of Britain you're in but I've seen them advertised from 8 or 9 k a year up to 11 or 12, a bit more for London if you're lucky. Nursery Nurse jobs appear to be a lot more common in London than TAs - for that level of qualification etc.


boomie · 08/06/2007 10:59

I am watching this thread with interest as it is something I am very interested in - what is CACHE NannyClaire?


mindermummy · 08/06/2007 11:15

Waht nursery nurse jobs in schools?

Do you get paid the holls then for TA?

OP posts:

jellyjelly · 08/06/2007 16:53

I am doing ta work at a special needs school in the south east and i earn £50per day as supply or about 8k/9k as perm. You might find that alot of school will employ you for one term only or as a fixed for a year role.

The perm/term jobs pay 20 days holiday only.

I love my job but its very hard work. Very rewarding though


twinsetandpearls · 08/06/2007 16:57

I think ours get about £200 a week but this is only termly pay.


NannyClaire · 08/06/2007 22:44

What I mean by Nursery Nurse is someone who works in a Nursery as opposed to a school! I mentioned it as they were two options available to me with the level of qualification I have.

CACHE is the new name for the NNEB It stands for Council for Awards in Children's Care and Education (so why CACHE and not CACCE I don't know!) As Cache, they offer lots of different courses ranging from Introduction to..., through Level 2 (equivalent to 10 GCSEs I think) and Level 3 (equivalent to A levels) and onwards.

I hold the Level 2 Certificate, which allows me to practise in a variety of settings but under supervision. So, I'm technically underqualified as a nanny but would be fine as a Teaching Assistant as long as the Teacher is present in the classroom with me, or a Nursery Nurse reporting to a room leader or supervisor. Hence comparing the two jobs, they are a similar level.

I'm guessing if you are a registered Childminder then you've done the training which would be the equivalent of Level 3 at least! Which'd mean you're more valuable in either post as you're legally allowed to care for children without a "superior" being present.

Whenever I've been jobhunting (which I am at the moment) there are lots of positions available in nurseries and daycare and TA is rarer.

Select Education handle a lot of TA positions and they'd be able to tell you about the pay, etc. I think it does really depend on the school and length of the contract as jellyjelly said..... I guess you could try speaking to some other Education specialist agencies to get an idea and a clearer answer to your question!


jellyjelly · 09/06/2007 10:39

ont he subject of qualifications. I have done over 20 childminding courses but would have to get nvq2 and 3 before i could class myself as a nursery nurse. Bugger


NannyClaire · 09/06/2007 11:57

Ooh a lot of places round here accept "assistant" nursery nurses with a Level 2.
Thank goodness cos I'm going for a trial day on Monday

Whenever I've spoken to the council etc about my training options they always told me that you need Level 3 to register as a Childminder, I didn't realise there were ways to register without doing one - NVQ or CACHE Diploma....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?