My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM Club: Dilemma, I don't know what to do!

5 replies

mogs0 · 04/06/2007 21:38

I currently mind 4 children, all part time. 2 of the mum's are pregnant and will be due to go on mat leave at the end of the Summer.

I have been thinking about moving to be nearer my family (150 miles away) for the last few months and was planning to move next Summer.

I have just found out that one of the mindees will be finishing for good when Mum goes on mat leave (although this hasn't been totally confirmed yet) which I wasn't expecting as Dad had briefly mentioned that mindee would still come one or 2 days instead of the 3 he usually does.

My reason for staying where I am for another year was so that I could save as much money as poss (without meaning to sound money obsessed!) so that I could have a deposit to buy a house near my family but with a big proportion of my income ending in 3 months I don't know whether to just go in 3 months or try and find another mindee for the remaining time.

Another issue I have is that mindee 2 only started in January and they are expecting me to have him until he starts school (2009). I would feel awful if I had to end the contract after 9 months even though I would have probably left before he started school anyway.

Oh I don't know what to do! I'm feeling a bit low at the moment anyway. I feel I need my families support and moving closer would help but the guilt of letting down mindees and their parents is making me feel terrible! To make things worse, I am so rubbish at discussing any of this with the parents.

Not sure if anyone has any advise but positive thoughts are very welcome!!

OP posts:
tasja · 04/06/2007 21:41

Think of yourself, not the families. You are more important.

nannynick · 04/06/2007 21:48

Family come first. Could you get work near to your family? If so, could you move without saving up a large deposit?

mogs0 · 04/06/2007 22:30

After doing a bit of research on here, I think I'd be able to earn enough to get by. However, also from reading things on here, I'm a bit worried that I won't get any mindees as so many cms are struggling to fill their places.

My original plan was to rent a house from a family member until I was settled (have lived away from them for 11 years) then start looking for somewhere to buy. The current tenants have just moved out so now would be a good time to go but the guilt of letting mindee2's family down is doing my head in!!

OP posts:
KaySamuels · 04/06/2007 22:36

Please think of your own family's happiness. Mindees come and go all the time, don't stay on their behalf. If they are reasonable human beings they will understand you need to be near your family. As long as you give them plenty of notice and are honest with them it will be fine. CMing work comes and goes all the time, it was awful when I had the realisation that you can't depend on mindees staying/new ones coming along.

I would say follow your heart!

mogs0 · 04/06/2007 23:02

Thanks! I think I'll have a chat with mindee2's Mum and test the water.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.