My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

nanny job finishing now pregnant will i get maternity benefits?

6 replies

40nanny · 31/05/2007 21:18

hi ,im a full time nanny, and the youngest will now be going to school,and said i would finish up in august and start up childminding which i told my boss, but i am now pregnant,so wont be doing that now, anyway my boss said i can finish end of july !! I have been with family 12 years, wondered has anyone else been in this situation,(nannies, or employers) am i due maternity pay,as i cant see me getting other job when being 5 month pregnant by then, thanks

OP posts:
nannynick · 31/05/2007 21:20

Not sure will see if I can look it up.

What about redundancy pay, has your boss mentioned that?

whoops · 31/05/2007 21:23

if you have been paying PAYE & NI you may be able to get maternity allowance if you contact your local jobcentre they should be able to advise you

40nanny · 31/05/2007 21:33

my boss just mentioned that end of july i would be my last day, when i had said i would finish mid August, there was no mention of maternity pay or redundancy pay, maybe cos it was me that volunteered to leave, how i wish i hadnt opened my mouth !!

OP posts:
nannynick · 31/05/2007 21:34

Maternity Pay: Direct.gov.uk
SMP Factsheet

To qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay you must have been:

• employed by the same employer without a break for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due
  • earning an average of at least £87 a week (before tax)

Maternity Rights calculator

I would suggest that you talk to CAB or ACAS regarding your precise personal circumstances, as I am not sure what happens in a situation where you already know that you won't have a job, especially as your last working day in that job may be before 15 weeks prior to EDD.
nannynick · 31/05/2007 21:36

You are leaving the job, rather than them telling you to leave. Hmm, definitely seek advice from ACAS and/or CAB.
Doesn't seem a straight forward case, so hard for a layperson like me to advise.

Eleusis · 01/06/2007 11:17

Is anything in writing? Have you formally resigned, indicating you last day of work? Have you given your boss written notice of your pregnancy? (if not, do it today in writing!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.