My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM Club:Should I change they way I advertise my fees?

10 replies

Katymac · 25/05/2007 15:35

I charge per month (ie 24 hrs a week for 50 weeks divided by 12)

BUt I advertsie my fee "per hour"

Do you think it would be better to advertise a per month charge

This would be in my brochure

I wondered if it would give parents a better idea of how much I cost and also be more transparent about the fees

What do you think??

OP posts:
ELR · 25/05/2007 16:37

i think per hour is fine however a daily or weekly rate may be helpfull, the monthly rate would only be good for fulltimers

Katymac · 25/05/2007 16:53

I'm thinking

6hr day is equivilent to £87.50 a month
8hr Day is equivilent to £110.00 a month
10hr Day is equivilent to £137.50 a month

(so 5 10hr days would be £687.50 a month)

With Term-time only, before school, after school & school holiday rates as well

Sort of 50 wks divided by 12 m?

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 25/05/2007 17:34

i THINK AS long as you make it clear that the hours are set ie they dont get 12 hours a day per day for a month for xx it would be a good way to help out with budgeting.

nannynick · 25/05/2007 18:33

Its Friday, I've just got in and I'm tired. Have read your 10hr Day is equivalent to £137.50 a month and I am confused. Surely this does not mean that a child attending 10 hours per day, 5 days per week, costs £137.50 a month.

A nursery near me advertises "From £40 per Day".

Trying to show pricing in different ways can help differentiate yourself in the market, so give worth a try. Research how other local providers advertise fees, do they all do Per Hour, Per Day, or Per month... are they fully inclusive fees or just the starting From figure!

nannynick · 25/05/2007 19:00

Had a cup of coffee now and think I now understand. Instead of saying £3.17 per hour, you are multiplying out to give a per month figure.

Would you be requiring payment a month in advance? If so, a monthly rate sounds a good idea.

Katymac · 25/05/2007 19:47

I just think £3.30 an hour doesn't mean much

The per month fee covers all absences (bank holidays etc)

So If you take home £985 for a 35hr week and your childcare would cost £687.50 you would see how much you would be left with

OP posts:
nannynick · 25/05/2007 20:46

Agree that hourly rates don't mean much, as in reality most providers are not a PAYG service. Having the fee cover holidays also makes sense as by doing a monthly fee you are splitting it out over 12 months, making it easier for parents to budget.

Katymac · 25/05/2007 21:03

That's what I thought - It is more "real" somehow

That's daft isn't it

I hoped it would be more clear and open (iyswim)

OP posts:
AskABusyPerson · 25/05/2007 21:08

Don't know if this will help but I tell parents my fee when they come round and then say 'so for eg 3 days a week that will be £xx per month' as I agree that sometimes £3-4 per hour doesn't sound much!

I don't have any ads at mo as I'm in a small village so get children through word of mouth, but perhaps you could have 'my fee is £x per hour which, for illustration, equates to approx £x per month for full time place, or £x per month for part-time place of eg 3 days a week.'

Katymac · 25/05/2007 21:10

How big is your village - I'm in 360 houses

Fortunatley I'm on what is laughingly called a commuter route here in Norfolk

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.