My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Online Qualifications...

6 replies

NannyClaire · 21/05/2007 21:14

ASET Child Psychology

I've seen this course. Anyone have experiences of gaining online diplomas etc? Would it be a good idea or a waste of money?

I am keen to get a level 3 but I would like something that is useful and actually worth while when people see it on a CV. Ideally I would like a CACHE or BTEC but it's incredibly hard to study them as a nanny, I'm not having much luck finding a college that is willing to consider me - plus I haven't had much luck finding places offering them as evening classes.

This should be so much easier, I'm in London!

OP posts:
daftasabrush · 21/05/2007 21:31

Hello. What about the CACHE level 3 diploma in home based child care? That is designed for childminders and nannies. Can't do links but is on cache.org.uk.

NannyClaire · 21/05/2007 23:06

I have found a place that offers it online... I'd quite like to do it, but I'm still concerned about doing it distance learning.

What do people think - if I've been examined, it counts, right? ;-)

OP posts:
nannynick · 22/05/2007 07:28

NEC.ac.uk provide the Diploma in Home-based childcare course via distance learning. Once all 5 units are completed, it is a Level 3 qualification. It is a new qualification, so may not be recognised by parents.

NannyClaire · 22/05/2007 09:15

NEC are also recommended by the NCMA, so I'm guessing it's OK. I am looking to work through agencies in the future and it will be a couple of years before I'm in the market again I hope. Perhaps parents will have heard of it by then or the agency can point out that CACHE are a reputable body!

I suppose my main question was about the distance learning vs college route rather than the actual qualification.

OP posts:
tigersmum · 23/05/2007 16:00

I did my DCP with the NEC through distance learning and found it very good.

Mum2Luke · 28/05/2007 15:09

I would like to do NVQ Level 4 or 5 (depending on what I'm allowed as a Childminder) I have Level 3 and I do not know whether I'll be doing childminding in the next 3 or 4 yrs as there are too many childminders for the numbers of children in my area, I look after only 2 children and one of them might not be coming back due to his Mum might not be going to uni in September.

I am finding it increasingly harder due to the paperwork (planning for EYFS, menu plans, risk assessments etc) we have to do. Parents choose childminders for the homely atmosphere, if they want what we have to do they would put them into nurseries wouldn't they?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.