My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Will you stay in the classroom with your mindee if parents ask?

20 replies

edker · 03/05/2007 21:20

I had a school run in the morning.
I didn?t know I will have to wait in the classroom with my little who is in the buggy-
I think my client thought she pay too much money-£14 per day because of antisocial hours-
2 weeks I managed but after 2 weeks I noticed this is unfair. I saw other childminders none of them wait in the classroom.
I spoke with my childminder mentor she was really suprised.she found cheeky.
And I had other reasons as well so I did quit.
Am I right?
What would you do in the same situation?

OP posts:
maximummummy · 03/05/2007 21:38

do you mean stay to settle child in to a new school placement?

edker · 03/05/2007 21:47

I meant every morning.
if one time I won't mind really

OP posts:
Hulababy · 03/05/2007 21:47

Why do you have to stay? And for how long? What is the school policy on leaving the child without an adult?

edker · 03/05/2007 21:48

and this is not new school. she knows all teachers.

OP posts:
edker · 03/05/2007 21:51

i don't know really why i had to waitand she didn't mention anything about this otherwise i will tell her i can't do this school run.
i have to be home at 9 am.i can't leave my bay all time my husband.

OP posts:
Hulababy · 03/05/2007 21:52

How long do you have to wait with the child?

edker · 03/05/2007 21:58

and she called evening to let me know the girl is coming in my home.
so I did not have enough time to write contract.
I try to managed a simple task.

OP posts:
edker · 03/05/2007 22:00

HUlabay 10 min I had to wait.
but the point is i am walking 15 min.
and when talked with he i mentioned i expecte to be home at 9 am not at 9.15min.

OP posts:
edker · 03/05/2007 22:01

soory i am writing quick a bit .so some words wrong sometimes

OP posts:
Hulababy · 04/05/2007 08:45

I think you need to talk to mum and ask her about the reasons behind staying, etc.

I know at DD's school she is not allowed to be left unspervised at school until a certain time, about 10 minutes before school starts, when a supervising teacher comes into the playground.

tigersmum · 04/05/2007 09:42

I think it is reasonable to wait with the child to make sure they have gone in, taken coat off and gone into classroom. Waiting any longer is not necessary IMO.

edker · 04/05/2007 09:55

Hulababy I don't think her mother/daddy waited in the classroom if she needed supervised before me . Because she has got other two children to take the nursery.

If the girl needed supervised why she didn?t give me information on the first hand.
I saw other parents-mostly- leave at the door they don't wait in the classroom.
Sorry but
I felt this I earn £30 per week and she try to every penny back so do I had stay there.
It is not worth it for that money.
If she treated me nicely I was going to take her two kids to the school every morning school at the moment even if she offers £1000 I WON'T DO THAT JOB.
Even IF I wanted to do it I was going to lose lots of good jobs because of this 1 hour 30 min. job.
And when I asked deposit I had a cold email.
No thank you for my service.-I prepared fantastic breakfast for her daughter and she realy enjoyed in my home.
I was hoping one small thank you. I asked deposit I was bad childminder sorry I don't need this hassle.
Sorry I wrote too long.
Next time I will choose very careful my clients.

OP posts:
ayla99 · 04/05/2007 10:36

I don't understand why you've got to wait in the classroom. Is the teacher not there when you arrive?

The teachers usually encourage the children to go in independently and discourage parents from coming in (some classes the teacher stands in the doorway). Except for the reception class in the early weeks when parents are allowed to come in & help their child to learn where to put their lunches, bookbags etc.

I've seen some people drop off their children at school gates or leave them in the playground if the teacher hasn't yet opened the door. Childminders shouldn't do that - we have a responsibility to stay with the child until school officially takes over responsibility for the child - in my case thats when the teacher opens the door and lets the children in. There is no reason for me to ever follow the child in unless I have a message or question for the teacher.

edker · 04/05/2007 11:02

I am thinking exactly like you Ayla99.
If the teacher doesn?t wants to see me why should I wait in the classroom?
If the girl didn't need any supervised before why she needs my supervisor now?
If I am a childminder like others and the other childminders don't wait in the classroom why should I ?
BECAUSE SHE PAYS ME £28 FOR TWO DAYS AND SHE TRY TO BE CHEEKY.
I believe I am a fantastic childminder like you like and the others and I am expecting to treat nice.

OP posts:
edker · 04/05/2007 11:05

yes the teachers always on the doorway.

OP posts:
Hulababy · 04/05/2007 11:07

If the parents didn't wait with the child I am unsure as to why you have to? Who has told you that you must wait?

edker · 04/05/2007 11:25

she sent me a paper it was writing I will wait with the girl and IF she has got any paper I NEED TO pass the teacher anD where she will hang her cot eg.
MY POINt is not this is.
as I wrote I have other reasons as well.

I waited a bit appriciate and i realesed the money will be problem.
so i don't want to remind every time because everthing writing on the contract.

OP posts:
edker · 04/05/2007 13:55

I wrote a contract and on the contract between these hours I am available to give my service and I added two weeks trial period so both sides can terminate the contract if not happy or carry on as it is.
I really believe I try to do my best but I couldn't lice my baby at home sometimes I had to take with me as you imagine he is so curious and wanted to touch everything and drawing when he saw pencils.
But always I played my attention to the girl I read book for her I sat with her even with my baby
And I don't think my baby made big chaos in there nobody really was annoyed.
But I thought if no appreciated I don't care money.
And if I need to remind money there is no point try to make business.
I have a lovely client even she pays less money but I don't mind because she knows how appreciate and treat me.
Yet I am a not professional childminder but I treat equally all children under my care.

OP posts:
edker · 04/05/2007 14:10

and every morning I got up at 6.30 in the morning I was always ready when they came on my door except only last morning because my baby wasn't good in the evening so I couldn't sleep well.
They should come at 7.15 they arrived at7.30 I didn't say anything because they pay money if they want to drop off why should I say anything?
as I wrote I prepared fantastic breakfast-egg, toast ,cereal,jam,cucumber,cheese, juice this was only for her daughter my little one don't eat too much eat in the morning.
Even if they told me cereal was enough. But I did want to deserve my money.
I take my business so serious I am not the childminder thinks only the money.
Because I have a child if I decided to send him a childminder I will accept same for him.
I don't know maybe there was communication problem.
But anyway I was going to loose better jobs so maybe this is better both of us.

OP posts:
Shoshable · 04/05/2007 14:17

Edkar sounds as if she was trying it on! Can I ask what your mother tongue is, cos you said there might be a communcation problem, although,you have managed to tell us, well, even as you said you are upset, what happened. Try not to worry love, we have all had clients like that.

Come into the Staff Room for a cuppa.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.