My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM looking after 6 children?

7 replies

bluemango · 27/04/2007 22:19

Hi

My childminder has just told us she's applied to look after 6 children (she currently looks after 3). As she mainly has (and wants) under-5s, I'm wondering how this works and whether it's safe. How would she keep an eye on all the young children, and how would she take them anywhere (2 double buggies?).

I know I need to ask her some questions about this but wondering if it's usual for Ofsted to approve under-8s? If so, do they usually still usually restrict it to only one under-1?

Thanks

OP posts:
ThePrisoner · 27/04/2007 22:25

Perhaps she is taking on an assistant? She could be allowed to have 6 under 5s. She might then be allowed to have 2 under 1s. She probably wouldn't be allowed to have any children in the 5 - 8 year bracket.

My dh and dds are registered as my assistants, but only to cover for emergencies really. It means I could have this many children (I think not!!)

nappyaddict · 27/04/2007 22:30

my cm looks after 6, but she has 3 under 5 and 3 under 8.

ThePrisoner · 27/04/2007 22:39

Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. I assumed that you meant she was applying to have 6 children under 5 years??

The maximum normal allowance is a total of 6 children under the age of 8 years, of which 3 can be under the age of 5 years. If she had an assistant, you would normally still only be able to have 6 children under 8 years, but they could all be under 5s.

Crikey, does any of that make sense?!

vixma · 28/04/2007 00:22

what, at the same time or at different times?

Tan1959 · 28/04/2007 12:00

Not sure if you mean 6 under 5's Bluemango? or 3 under 5 and 3 under 8?

I am registered for 6 children, of which 3 can be under 5 and three can be 5-8 year olds. At the moment, I only have 5 year old+ during the holidays - so I think if you have the space in your home and don't have your own LO's who count in your under fives ratios, this is quite usual..

bluemango · 29/04/2007 17:39

Thanks everyone. I don't knoq what she's applied for but given what you've all said, I assume it must be 3 under 5 and 3 under 8. Maybe it's because I only look after one (my own...) that I can't imagine looking after 6 young ones! I'm probably also being paranoid about safety as my daughter is only 7 months old and I'm a first-time mum, but I know for example that the CM has a paddling pool for the young ones (under-3s) and I can't imagine how she'd keep an eye on that, the other young ones learning to walk etc and the older ones too.

Thanks again for all your help!

OP posts:
Tan1959 · 29/04/2007 20:50

perfectly understandable Bluemango - you could always ask her how she would manage in that situation if littlies are in the paddling pool etc - if she's good, she won't mind you asking

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.