My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Is £8/hr the going rate in Islington / North London for a CM??

13 replies

Electricgreensoup · 09/02/2007 10:51

A CM has told me that she would charge £8 per hour - does that sound like the going rate??

OP posts:
uwila · 09/02/2007 11:06

Is that for ONE child?

NotQuiteCockney · 09/02/2007 11:11

Hmmm, I pay about that per hour for a nanny, in east London. I think CMs are more about £5/hour down here.

quietmouse · 09/02/2007 12:13

no, she's having you on. Going rate in Islington is £5-£6 ph.

Electricgreensoup · 09/02/2007 16:33

Ah. Yes it is just for my DD at the mo. She used to do childminding and then stopped and is just starting up again, so my DD would be the first. She said she used to get £8/hr for the last mindee.

Also - another question. How likely is it that a CM would come and collect my DD and what sort of charges should I expect? I'm trying to maximise my work time as I only want to work half days and don't want to waste time going back and forth to the CM.

OP posts:
quietmouse · 09/02/2007 19:09

whereabouts are you? I have a vacancy and am in Islington! I would do pick ups. Not sure about other cms tbh, some might, some might not. Worth ringing around and finding out.

UniSarah · 09/02/2007 22:42

at 8 quid an hour i would expect pick ups, and food and silver spoons. I know london is pricey but thats twice the top rate in Exeter.

goldenoldie · 10/02/2007 13:39

No, I'm in Islington pay 8ph (net) for qualified day-nanny to look after baby twins.

CM's charge £3.50 per hour for twins (£5ph for a singleton)

Judy1234 · 10/02/2007 13:43

You're better off with a day nanny if you're getting towards those sorts of rates. If you had 3 under 4 as we did at one point it is also much cheaper and they then can help with the school age children too. At one point our nanny was minding baby twins and also school picks upf 3 older children and cooking tea for all 5 children here at home.

edker · 10/02/2007 20:26

I charge £5 F/T
and £6 for 4 hours or less than 4 hours.
i am based in North London.

Usually childminders charge here £5 -£6 for per hour.

quietmouse · 10/02/2007 20:44

I'm not so sure about the £3.50 for twins in Islington.

All the childminders I know (myself included) would charge twice normal rate for twins per hour, so £10/£12 per hour.
They are taking up two places and require the same amount of care each or as two babies from different families!

goldenoldie · 11/02/2007 12:52

TBH - for the added inconvienience of getting them there and back again if you can pay that rate I would go for a day nanny that comes to you everytime. Gives you a lot more flexability and you can control the enviroment and how many kids are being looked after.

Re: £3.50ph per twin - I have a friend with baby twins using her.

Electricgreensoup · 11/02/2007 17:45

Thanks everyone. Quietmouse - where are you based? What are your pickup arrangements?

Is it going to be difficult to find a CM who whouldn't mind having a mindee for half days, rather than taking up a whole space?

By day nanny, do you mean a 'regular' nanny - someone that looks after my DD in my own house? Unfortnuately that's not really an option as I work from home and my DH does too occasionally. I don't think it would be fair on any party really.

Oh dear.

OP posts:
quietmouse · 11/02/2007 18:34

I will try and cat you now

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.