My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Shared after school care - advice needed

3 replies

decafskinnylatte · 05/02/2007 12:16

I am in the process of arranging after school care for my ds (4) when he starts school in September. An ex nursery nurse (NVQ3)from ds's nursery has offered to pick up my ds and two of his friends from their shool and look after them (in each child's house alternately) from about 3:30-6 pm, 4 days per week. She will also provide full cover during school holidays (subject to her/our holiday plans).

The nursery nurse is happy with this arrangement because she wants the flexibility that this part time arrangement will give her.

We're still in the very early stages of planning this but would welcome any advice/practical suggestions for formalising the arrangement. Also, how much should we be paying per hour (we are in West London and she is a star; we'll do our utmost to be able to retain her (within reason!))?

OP posts:
uwila · 05/02/2007 12:29

If your son now attends the nirsery where she works, I suggest you loook at your contract and make sure you don't have to pay a hefty fee to the nursery for the priviledge of hiring one of their staff.

Otherwise, sounds like a good iea. ALthough it might get a bit complicated with a 3 way nanny share (i.e. all four of you may need to take holiday at the same time)

dmo · 05/02/2007 12:48

sounds like she is trying to be a childminder/nanny without paying tax!!!
be wary

decafskinnylatte · 05/02/2007 13:21

Thanks. Both good points. We will definitely get an accountant on board to ok re tax.

Thanks also re the contract point Uwila - that was in fact top of my to do list for today! This is a big deal - even though the carer will not have been a nursery employee for a few months by September - dd will still be at the nursery so I do not want to give the manager any reason to make life difficult for us.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.