My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM CLUB: CRAP , CRAP, CRAP 8-(

20 replies

StrawberrySnowflakes · 04/02/2007 20:22

mindee one's mum (who may be a mumsnetter, i have now come to the conclusion of?) has asked me what her fee will be for the week she will be keeping her dd off for three days but then needing 32 hour straight through overnight care!..which i take to mean, am i paying for the days i am keeping dd off?even though contract is for 5 days a week

and..worst of all
Mindee two's mum (my friend) has just given me notice

OP posts:
ladyoflincoln · 04/02/2007 20:25

oh no, poor you!

sorry no advice, but i am sending you some sympathy instead [sympathetic face] xx

mykidzrmyworld · 04/02/2007 20:39

oh u poor thing - why has your friend given notice?

StrawberrySnowflakes · 04/02/2007 20:45

her dd starts nursery tuesday this week, they now realise they cant get out of work to get her there, now can/will any other family help and as i can only share our car when other mindee's hours dont clash, i cant take her permanently or with guarantee, so she's going to family who live closer to her nursery, who actually refused to have her before she came to me! and who mum will still have to pay despite not being able to claim anything back!

OP posts:
Shosha · 04/02/2007 20:50

Message withdrawn

gooseegg · 04/02/2007 21:16

I'm sorry it's all coming at once for you.
Notice is an occupational hazard that will hopefully soon be overcome with new custom.
I would put in writing the first one's fees, but use your discretion to vary things if you feel some discount would be fair.

StrawberrySnowflakes · 04/02/2007 21:26

mum 1 has asked me to change her dd's contract to 40 hours a week not 8 hours per day, meaning a week like next, according to current contracts i will be lsoing out on around £80-£100!
WTF do i do!!!!!!!!!!1
im down to one now with same amount od bills to pay

OP posts:
gooseegg · 04/02/2007 21:34

Does she work funny shifts? I guess if she does she's not going to be able to afford to keep on the current contract but will find it hard to get affordable childcare anywhere else either.
If you are prepared to have irregular notice you will not lose financially. It's still 40hrs.
How about bumping the price of your overnights to account for the short notice and disruption you will need to take into account in order to accommodate her?

KaySamuels · 05/02/2007 07:44

Oh you poor thing, obviously this mum1 is thinking of her own finances, is there some sort of compromise you can suggest? Stick to what is in your contract re charges for the week she asked u about, also if u have a notice period for changes to contracts stick to that too before you do change it.

Mindees will come and go - have a big adertising drive this week plaster yourself anywhere u can think of - you never know may get a new mindee!

If you do overnight care consider advertising in hospitals, fire stations, police stations, supermarket staff rooms, etc. Plus all the usual advertising methods. Not many of us do overnights so use that as a selling point.

Good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you.

ssd · 05/02/2007 07:48

babysit!

StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 08:08

thanks girls, its like i was talking about the other day, should i add all her hours up into one bundle?..not what was agreed, but i can see froma parents POV.

am putting my poster up in dd's school this morn...but looks like the holiday in cyprus is cancelled or rather changed to somewhere cheaper as i could only afford it with two ful timers on, at a push one part time until something else came along..this is, its mindee 2's mums wedding that we were going to cyprus for, so its gunna take some explaining to make her see im not being awkward, just cant afford it with only one mindee

OP posts:
Shosha · 05/02/2007 09:01

Message withdrawn

mumlove · 05/02/2007 09:31

Oh strawberry I don't have any advice for you but shosha idea might work.
Get the pen and paper out and start writing down some figures.

StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 12:38

well spoke to her this morn briefly, i have agreed to mon-fri 40 hours instead of 8 hours 5 days a week.
i have said that this will begin in 4 weeks as if i were to arrange hols/put up prices etc i would have to give 4 wks notice, so respectivly, thats what i can do.
cant say im over the moon as it was as plain as day from the beginning what the deal was...but hey ho..you live and learn!

OP posts:
bambi06 · 05/02/2007 12:43

i hope you charge extra per hour though for the over nighters!! as its classed as antisocial hours .therefore more money per hour ..no?

StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 12:45

i will be putting my rates up for weekends and overnight from beginning of april,my heads up my backside at minute and couldnt cope with the stress of price increase and the hassle i 'may' get from anyone

OP posts:
StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 12:46

oh and i do already charge more than normal for overnight anyway, £2.50 extra

OP posts:
Isyhan · 05/02/2007 14:53

Dont you still charge the same rate if they keep their child off? I charge the same rate but dont charge if Im sick. Or have I missed the point? She should pay as per contract.

Shosha · 05/02/2007 14:54

Message withdrawn

StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 16:19

she is contracted for 40 hours a week just at 8 hours per day, her dd isnt coming mon, tue, wed that week but will be having her for 32 hours constant thursday 6am to friday 3.30pm..her thinking is that she is still within her 'hours' overall, but is paying extra because she is here overnight.
i can see her problem, but as i sadi we knew this when we signed contracts, just when its come to the crunch and ive given the fee required its obviously a lot of money to her(and too me!).
she has been very nice about it and i dont blame her for asking..just mean i may be worse off in long run now

OP posts:
StrawberrySnowflakes · 05/02/2007 16:21

am about holiday too now, if we pay to change and go somewere cheaper(as weve already paid £700 off), we can only go where that company fly too, ie cyprus, greece, turkey, bulgaria and dominican republic..greece would be only choice but would have gone to majorca if had choice as we went last feb and was fab

feel absolutely crappy

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.