My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Advice needed.........is Childminding cost effective ?? Please help!!

5 replies

littlenutmeg · 02/02/2007 19:29

Hello some of you may remember me, I went thrrough the registration procedure approx 5 months agao. However due to some family domestic crisis which I shall not go into now I did not start my childminding business. I have my registration certificate now for the past few months and am considering giving up temping as a secretary and staying at home to childmind instead. I guess my question is will it be cost effective to do this? I know you cannot guarentee getting mindees etc but I just want to know if by giving up my temping job will I net approx the same revenue. Having read back the last sentence I am asking you an unanswerable question. I really need to know that if you seriously look at childminding as a buisness will it be profitable?

If you are still reading by the time you get to this bit I just want to say thank you, childminding has been a dream of mine for so long and I really want to get going but the finacial drop until I build up my mindees may be difficult, but so long as I can kind of be reassured it will be worthwhile will be able to forge ahead and aim for my dream.

Please let me know your views as I truely am intrested in if it really is a positive move. Many thanks and kind regards

Little nutmeg

OP posts:
shosha · 02/02/2007 20:16

Message withdrawn

ThePrisoner · 02/02/2007 20:21

Perhaps it would be better to continue temping until you actually have a child/children to mind? You can start actively advertising, and let your local Childrens Info Service know that you have immediate vacancies.

Like shosha, I am also full, and I certainly wouldn't be childminding if it wasn't financially worth it.

shosha · 02/02/2007 20:24

Message withdrawn

mykidzrmyworld · 02/02/2007 20:31

well i have recently started (few mths) it is hard getting started and I already have 2 under 5(until Sept) so my earning potential is restricted.With my school runs (5 on my books) and 1 p/t under 5 I am earning more than what I was earning p/t working as an administrator for LloydsTsb. The down side is money could be good for a while and then wham bam you could loose it in a sec - like recent post (mum been sacked)
Id suggest sticking with your current job until u have that phone call/contracts are signed and your on your way to earning money
Good luck

preggerspoppet · 02/02/2007 20:40

Hi,
I have two of my own and another on the way, I have chosen to only mind 1 under 5 and get paid above average I guess for being flexible and doing a bit extra iyswim.

for others I'm not sure how much I could make, but I remember looking for childcare for my ds and ALL the good ones had waiting lists!

sorry, not very helpful, but good luck in your decision.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.