My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM CLUB:****** URGENT QUESTION******CM's or people with SN knowledge

14 replies

StrawberrySnowflakes · 11/01/2007 13:54

hI

HAVE JUST HAD A CALL FROM CHILDCARE PLUS..oops sorry caps on!..they have someone just rang up reg an 8yr old boy needing flexible care (over nights lates etc) wasnt actually a parent who rang, but some proffesional on their behalf as the parents need respite care as the child has ADHD.
now please excuse my ignorance (and the girl from cis couldnt help me either) but exactly what is this and what special care may the child require because of it?
first and formost i have to find out which school hes at, my details say i only pick up from one local, so if there then fine, but need to know what type of care he would need in order to see if i can help?..TIA

OP posts:
S88AHG · 11/01/2007 14:03

ADHD I think is when they have no concentration and literally dont sit still cant paint do jigsaw etc because they cant concentrate for that long, not an expert in this field but I would want loads more details, and some dont sleep at night!!! Get more info or Google it

hennipenni · 11/01/2007 14:20

Hi strawberry, ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, I look after a 7 yr old who has this along with other issues. Very very hard work as he has very little in the way of concentration skills, will not paint, use chalks etc and is like a little whirl wind however I find him rewarding to look after - it helps that we plan together each day what we are going to do (althouhgh we don't stick to it 9 times out of10).

As there are varyings ways and degrees that this can affect a child it is hard to say that you will be able to do this, that or the other as it is all down to the individual child.

yearoftheox · 11/01/2007 14:22

Try it, he could be lovely. I've looked after children with special needs - often no more work than the others. If he goes to a SN school he may arrive by taxi possibly around 4 o/c which can be very convenient for a CM.

StrawberrySnowflakes · 11/01/2007 14:29

its not normal hours it was mainly mentioned overnight care as respite for his parents, sso if what you say is true and he 'may' not be a good sleeper that is why they need the respite?!

i have one 2 yr old, one 3yr old(who also does overnights) and my dd (3), would this child be mroe than i could deal with?..i have to take dd to nursery in morn, collect at 11.30, take mindee 2 to nursery in feb at 12.30 all without car, so i know if he not in local school i couldnt do that

OP posts:
S88AHG · 11/01/2007 16:19

Difficult to say I looked after a child who was diagnosed with ADHD whilst I was looking after him and he didnt listen to anything I said whilst waliking to school along busy roads and I used to get really worried he might step in front of a car, but maybe I am a bit paranoid and he could also disrupt a game the others were playing and then everything would go wrong. I dont want to put you off this child but you need a trial or something before you say Yes for definate I think so you can see for yourself.

Difficult to say I looked after a child who was diagnosed with ADHD whilst I was looking after him and he didnt listen to anything I said whilst waliking to school along busy roads and I used to get really worried he might step in front of a car, but maybe I am a bit paranoid and he could also disrupt a game the others were playing and then everything would go wrong. I dont want to put you off this child but you need a trial or something before you say Yes for definate I think so you can see for yourself.

S88AHG · 11/01/2007 16:20

S88AHG · 11/01/2007 16:21

Sorry about that

StrawberrySnowflakes · 11/01/2007 19:03

sokay..not actually had call back? wonder if its because i asked for them to contact me direct re what special care would be needed?, maybe they just wanted some newbee to say yes?

OP posts:
S88AHG · 11/01/2007 23:29

Maybe but some people are a bit slow to respond arent they

cat64 · 12/01/2007 00:31

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

cat64 · 12/01/2007 00:35

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

StrawberrySnowflakes · 12/01/2007 10:17

thanks so much!, i havent heard back but they may still be ringing round more people with more exp than me, i said i do overnights so thats prob why they rang me...it does sound like a lto to handle with three of 3 and under..well see if they call back?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.