My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM Club - when they won't eat their lunch, or when they want what the others are having

6 replies

saltire · 22/11/2006 12:18

Ok, i have mindee 1, girl, age 4. Never eats a proper meal, never sits at the table. Her mum says she is a grazer, and sends a lunchbox, with the instructions that she will just eat it was she wants it. Somedays she won't have eaten any breakfast, other days she will have. the result is this child is asking me for her tin of soup to be heated at 9.15am, or asking for her crisps as soon as she gets here at 8, or not eating anything. Sometimes she will have 1 spoon of the soup (that she has made a fuss about all morning) thne won't eat anymore.

Child B. Age, almost 2. his mother send his lunch also, however, she has started sending tins of stuff again, and all week he has been refusing to eat it, because it's "hot". Now the food isn't hot, in fact i have sat with him for so long that it's stone cold. We have just had this just now, he wouldn't eat his soup on the grounds it was hot, but is now wanting his yoghurt, which he has in his bag every day so he knows to expect 1.

Child C, age2. Is always wanting to eat. He has broken my kitchen cupboard door by climbing on it to get his lunchbag, we have had to take the gate off kitchen door because he was pulling it over. When anyone else is eating he stands beside them saying "want some, want some", and i have to keep taking him away.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated, i.e with regadrs to the girl who want eat at set times, and the other two as well. Am popping out in a minute to take the wee boy to nursery, but will be back soon

OP posts:
HenniPenni · 22/11/2006 13:31

I'm afraid I'm rather strict with food and mealtimes. None of my mindees bring their lunch as I find it easier if they are all eating the same thing(also have DD with intolerances- so there are certain things that we don't have in the house or can be bought into the house - parents are aware of this an are happy with the reason.)

I have set mealtimes I.E Breakfast at 8am before school run, snack at 10.30 if we're in an lunch at 12 etc. I don't encourage or let mindees eat between these times unless there's a valid reason. Also if they don't eat what they're given then they go without (unless I know that it's a cvertain dislike).

This may sound harsh but it works for me, otherwise our day woul be ruled with who's eating what at what time, and we'd never go out anywhere.

saltire · 22/11/2006 13:53

With the two boys, hennipenni, i do tend to give them set mealtimes, i give them a snack (bowl of fruit or toast) at 10.30, child C gets dropped of at 11.30 and they have lunch at 12, if we take the wee girl to nursery, otherwise its a 12.30. The problem seems to occur with the girl and her eating habits, i have tried not letting her eat until lunchtime, but she then refused to eat at all, and cried and carried on. Apparently at home they just let her eat when she wants!

I am just wondering if it would be out of order to not give the boy his yoghurt when he is not eating his soup, and just wait till afternoon snack to give him something

OP posts:
saltire · 22/11/2006 13:53

With the two boys, hennipenni, i do tend to give them set mealtimes, i give them a snack (bowl of fruit or toast) at 10.30, child C gets dropped of at 11.30 and they have lunch at 12, if we take the wee girl to nursery, otherwise its a 12.30. The problem seems to occur with the girl and her eating habits, i have tried not letting her eat until lunchtime, but she then refused to eat at all, and cried and carried on. Apparently at home they just let her eat when she wants!

I am just wondering if it would be out of order to not give the boy his yoghurt when he is not eating his soup, and just wait till afternoon snack to give him something

OP posts:
saltire · 22/11/2006 13:54

Sorry for double post, problems with mouse, if you click it, you get taken back to previous page, and i ended up posting twice

OP posts:
HenniPenni · 22/11/2006 14:09

Hmm, I can see your predicament. What would the parents of the little boy feel about swapping him back to cold lunches? surely a cold lunch is preferable to no lunch at all? or how would they feel about him having nothing until afternoon snacktime if he didn't eaty his lunch?

Not sure about the little girl, we do have to work to parents wishes but it's very tough when it goes against your own thoughts! Have you aske her parents whether she's going to allowe to graze all day when she starts school? Perhaps use this to your avantage next time you discuss this with them?

HenniPenni · 22/11/2006 14:10

Plese excuse the lack of "D" keyboard keeps sticking!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.