My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Any CM had 'parents' meetings'?

12 replies

PanicPants · 10/11/2006 21:48

...in that all the parents of the mindees get to meet each other?

I only ask as we (me, ds and dp) went out for dinner tonight and on the way out ds (14months) toddled upto a child, and the women with this child said, oh look it's . Now I've never met this woman in my life before!

Turns out she's the mother of one of the other children my CM has. It felt a bit funny having another adult know my child without my knowledge iykwim.

My CM picks ds up and drops him off in the car so I don't get to see any other parents, or children either.

What do other CM do? Thought it might be a good idea for the CM to arrange a time for all the parents' of her mindees to meet for coffee maybe? Just so we know who we all are.

OP posts:
Katymac · 10/11/2006 22:11

We are having a Christmas Party (with FC & pressies)

I hope the mindees & thier parents can come as I think it is a lovely occasion - But I feel that it will be low on the list of priorities for most parents at Christmas

cat64 · 10/11/2006 22:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

CwmbranChildminder · 11/11/2006 07:54

when i used a cm I never had any kind of parents evening! I passed some of the parents when doing pick ups etc. There were times parents seen my ds but not me but that doesnt bother me - It would be the same for a private nursery as everyone drops off at different times. As a CM myself Ive never thought about it??

tobysmumkent · 11/11/2006 14:23

Message withdrawn

smeeinit · 11/11/2006 16:08

im a cm and dont do a parents meeting as such but i do like them to meet if possible,although i wouldnt go out of my way to organise a meet up ! (just being honest! )
i wouldnt feel bad about another adult knowing your child without your knowledge as this will happen alot at school,teaching assistants,dinner ladies,supply staff etc...

Tan1959 · 11/11/2006 16:22

Panicpants, does your childminder ever mention to you who else she cares for on the same days as your ds?` or tell you little stories of your ds's day with the other little ones?

I don't do parents meetings either but all the parents all know the names of the other children I care for & may have little sentence written in their LO's diary about their day with x, y & z (whilst still observing a degree of confidentiality of course)

I also have photos of all the past & currently minded children hanging on a wall for all the parents to see.

franyfroo · 11/11/2006 17:11

4cms plus me have hired a local hall, and are doing a joint mindees xmas party. Parents are invited to have wine and mince pie when they pick up.

My parents have decided they would like an xmas night out, and i am in the process of sorting a date agreeable with them all. Of course I will be going along to, but obviously wont be drinking heavilly infront of them [laugh]

RTKangaMummy · 11/11/2006 17:23

My mindees parents all teach at the same school {as my DH and where my DS goes} so ALL belong to the school community so everyone knows all the others iyswim

PanicPants · 11/11/2006 22:38

Yes, I do hear the names of other children as the cm tells me things which have happened during the day, and often writes things down in his diary.

Just struck me yesteray that it woulkd be nice to meet the other mums and see what they're like. I do know one of them as I work with her! But she doesn't know the others either.

Maybe I'll suggest to cm that we get together for a coffee one evening!

OP posts:
LoveMyGirls · 11/11/2006 22:56

if you want to do it i would def say ask your cm'er she maybe happy to arrnage it i know i would if parents asked.

ThePrisoner · 13/11/2006 23:42

Most of my parents have met each other at some point or another simply because many of them have been coming here for years!! I invited them all out for dinner last year, and they're all keen to do it again (perhaps because I paid??!)

babydales · 15/11/2006 13:29

I have a party each year for the children,past and present and future, and their parents. We have a garden party in July. I have been doing it for years. July is a good time as some children may be moving on to school etc and new children starting in September.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.