My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Can a Nanny be self employed?

3 replies

ziopin · 08/11/2006 09:36

Can a nanny be self employed. If heard that they cant, but is there any way around this?

Thanks

OP posts:
jura · 08/11/2006 09:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyMuck · 08/11/2006 09:44

It's all down to the individual circumstances - it is unusual for a nanny to be self-employed. Very short term temporary contracts can be self-employed, as can the case where the nanny is working for a number of different families (but each contract needs to be considered on a case by case basis).

I had one self-employed nanny, but this was on the basis that I didn't need here every week, and she had the right not to work a day if she had other commitments. It worked for us, but was unusual circumstances.

nannynick · 09/11/2006 07:21

My thoughts on this are that if you are looking at having a nanny for say a week, then yes you may find that HMRC permit someone to work for you for that short period as self-employed... though I don't feel they really meet the requirements for Self employment, as they can't really get someone else to do the job for them!

If it's going to be something that repeats, such as a nanny for one day a month... then I'd say NO they can't be self employed.

HMRC should evaluate each case individually, and while they may decide that a nanny is SE for one job they do, for another job they do it may not be the case, as it's considered on a job-by-job basis.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.