My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CM CLUB - advice on looking after 2 babies?

22 replies

LoveMyGirls · 13/10/2006 16:42

ok so i got a phonecall today about minding a 10mth old, my own dd2 is 1 (just) so i'm waiting for my new certificate from OFSTED to come saying i can now have an under 1 i sent it off about a week ago. so what do i do, should i phone them? if so does anyone know the number i should call?

on the practical front of having 2 babies im thinking i already have...

double pushchair (think it has a rain cover i will have to check)
2 baby car seats
1 highchair
travel cot
lots of baby toys
experience with weaning

nything esle i need to think about? anything else apart from another high chair i should buy?

tia

OP posts:
amphion · 13/10/2006 20:19

Once you've got some money coming in I would definitely get another highchair. Really glad things look like they're picking up for you. . I've got a 6 month old starting in a few weeks (fingers crossed) - I've got most stuff, but not a cot or playpen so am wondering about a travel cot but with my lack of income at the moment they're a bit pricey; I'm wondering how much I'll use it. Parents say baby doesn't sleep long during day and would be o.k. in lie-back buggy. However somewhere to put baby when trying to get them all ready for school in the mornings (I have 3 myself)would be useful.

amphion · 13/10/2006 20:22

Once you've got some money coming in I would definitely get another highchair. Really glad things look like they're picking up for you. . I've got a 6 month old starting in a few weeks (fingers crossed) - I've got most stuff, but not a cot or playpen so am wondering about a travel cot but with my lack of income at the moment they're a bit pricey; I'm wondering how much I'll use it. Parents say baby doesn't sleep long during day and would be o.k. in lie-back buggy. However somewhere to put baby when trying to get them all ready for school in the mornings (I have 3 myself)would be useful.

amphion · 13/10/2006 20:23

whoops...how did I manage to put my message on twice? sorry.

LoveMyGirls · 13/10/2006 22:44

you can claim it on expenses, get it after baby starts (fingers crossed for you!) im thinking about one of these

OP posts:
Katymac · 13/10/2006 22:47

They are fab (I have 6) buy it from ebay tho'

LoveMyGirls · 14/10/2006 11:26

bump

OP posts:
saltire · 14/10/2006 11:41

amhpion, just a suggestion, if you don't have a high chair handy. Get baby ready first,then put in buggy and concentrate on getting the others ready. that's what i do with the 18month old i mind. he is easier than all the others to get ready

amphion · 14/10/2006 18:55

Thanks saltire, good thinking - might have to make pack lunches night before though, or poor baby will be in the buggy for a while!

Lovemygirls - what are your babies going to sleep in? Bye the way, the chair looks great - I want one...., but already have a highchair .

dmo · 14/10/2006 19:53

i have 3 little ones in the day now on a wed/thurs
a little girl whos 9mths and 2 boys who were one in april
at dinners its great if were having food the boys can feed themselves its fine but the other day i made soup so i fed the hungriest child first, then went back to first child when they had all fed to give yogurts out
it was like a relay

amphion · 14/10/2006 21:03

Awwwww - they're cute when they're all lined up like that aren't they?

dmo · 14/10/2006 21:33

no they are really and they are so good at taking turns

amphion · 14/10/2006 22:50

wasn't being funny, just remember when I had 3 (one was my own dd) and were in a highchair each for their meals - they looked sweet, that's all.

LoveMyGirls · 15/10/2006 10:02

amp - ive got a cotwhich dd2 will sleep in and a travel cot the 10mth old can sleep in. i was more thinking about how you cope with babies with completely different routines?

my dd2 is brilliant i know exactly when she'll sleep, eat want juice, milk etc so i find her easy to look after so my main concerns are if this baby will fit into the routine i already have and can i cope with two? i suppose the only way to find out is to meet her mum talk about it all and give it a trial.

but just wondered if any of you more experienced minders could give me some tips?

OP posts:
dmo · 15/10/2006 21:27

the baby will prob start with his/her own routine and then grad swop over to your routine

the baby i have used to sleep in the mornings but as we go out each day till 11.30pm she doesnt anymore, i do lunch at 11.45 then all 3 sleep after lunch for an hour or so

ThePrisoner · 17/10/2006 00:19

I've had twins of my own, and have minded two babies under 12 months at various times over the last zillion years I've been minding. Any advice on routines? Hmmm ... remind me, what does "routine" mean??

Isyhan · 17/10/2006 19:28

LMG's I have two babies. One just over 1 and one 6 months. I have a Maclaren double buggy ( bought second hand £75), two highchairs, two car seats but didnt need anything else extra. Mum supplies sterilised bottles, milk, nappies, wipes. The babies sleep on couch. OFSTED happy with that. I have a lttle chair for 6 month old that my baby used when we are just in lounge and this week shes been in the donut. Well they both have actually. I love the day Ive got two babies!!

StrawberryFULLMoonOWOWOWWWWWWW · 17/10/2006 19:32

..ring ofsted!..dont have number to hand or..actually email them! go to ofsted dot gov dot uk..i normally get an email back the same night!..so they must work late!

smeeinit · 18/10/2006 17:52

lmg, im in similar situation at mo......wrote of to ofsted 4/5 weeks ago as im taking on 6 month old twins,who need to start at end of month and ive heard nothing from ofsted!! have phoned twice and been promised a quick response but still nowt! you have to keep on at them or you get forgotten!

LoveMyGirls · 19/10/2006 08:34

ofsted called the other day, said no problem as long as i agreed with the wording which she read out over the phone so hopefully i should have my new certificate by the end of this week or hopefully begging of next week!!

OP posts:
StrawberryFULLMoonOWOWOWWWWWWW · 19/10/2006 08:46

woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!..am still waiting for a nice phone call like that!

LoveMyGirls · 21/10/2006 21:01

The new baby should be coming in a few weeks so any more practical tips would be good, apparently she doesnt sleep during the day, has anyone else experienced this? should i try and egt her to sleep or just let her get on with it? i think her mum just lets her fall asleep if she wants to.

OP posts:
amphion · 25/10/2006 11:05

My tip is a general one if your're busy childminding - even though normally you might not put plastic things in the dishwasher (cups, beakers, plates, bowls) I do when I'm busy and just accept that I might have to replace them sooner than otherwise. If you haven't a dishwasher get some rubber gloves - there are so many bits to wash up your hands get sore.

With babies bottles try to resist offering to wash them properly as this is time-consuming at the end of the day and can become a real bind - I tell the parents I will rinse them out only.

Oh, and I like to use my own thick cotton bibs that do up at the back with velcro - I just hate those ones with string and plastic backing, and the all-plastic ones don't look very comfortable. It's easier to throw them in my own washing machine than gathering them up to send home.

For a changing mat, I now use a nice big towel folded up which is comfy and takes up less room than the plasic kind, again easily thrown in the washing machine. Learn to change nappies with baby on your knees (but be very careful about them not rolling off, do it where it's carpeted) - it will feel strange at first but it is much kinder on your back and is easier to keep them there when they get to the 'trying to escape' age.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.