My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders - easy question I need help with

7 replies

Bugsy2 · 21/09/2006 12:28

I'm trying to do some financial calculations regarding childcare to pursuade my errant ex-H that he does need to cough up more cash.
If a childminder was looking after my school children with a drop off at 8am & then collection from school & pick up by me at 6/6.30pm, would I pay for the hours they are not at school?
I'm in London, so approx how much should I expect to pay for 2 children?

OP posts:
HappyMumof2 · 21/09/2006 12:32

Message withdrawn

lunavix · 21/09/2006 12:32

If they're not pre-school, just normal school, you wouldn't pay during the day, except for holidays/inset days. If you don't need care for holidays, you may need to pay a retainer for the spot during the holidays.

Most CMs will charge a minimum of 3 hours, although I think you will be over this.

I believe in London it's around £5 an hour per child, may be wrong.

Bugsy2 · 21/09/2006 12:45

Thank you both. Just so I get this straight in my head:
I'd pay for the hour before school, 8am-9am and then for 3 hours after school 3.30pm - 6.30pm & it would be approx £5 per hour, per child?

I would also need school holiday care & I am presuming that during the hols, I'd pay the full daily rate?

OP posts:
looneytune · 21/09/2006 12:57

Yes, full rate during holidays.

HappyMumof2 · 21/09/2006 13:10

Message withdrawn

alison222 · 21/09/2006 13:30

I aggree with what has been said. I wuld charge you 4 hours per day per child and full days in the holidays/inset days.
For an idea of rates in oyour local area try the local councils' website - they usually have links to the local children's information service and lots of childminders will be listed (although not all of them are most probably will be)

looneytune · 21/09/2006 13:39

website here

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.