My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

HOW MUCH!!!?????

36 replies

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 19/09/2006 16:33

I am currently looking for a live in nanny and have tried all the ususal routes,avoiding where possible,agencies.

I had a response today from a girl on GreatAupair and she was demanding a salary of £500+(net) a week!!!!!

That grosses up to over £39k a year with all accomodation,food and a car provided I am absolutely staggered.I don't earn that much net so I don't think I will be contacting her....

OP posts:
moondog · 19/09/2006 16:34

WTF????

jura · 19/09/2006 17:06

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FioFio · 19/09/2006 17:07

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

jules1972 · 19/09/2006 17:29

Hi

Where abouts are you?

wakeupandsmellthecoffee · 19/09/2006 17:54

shes being silly advertise yourself on nanny job . com you will get loads of replys .

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 19/09/2006 20:45

Jles-we are in Herts...

WakeUp-I have doen but had limited replies-not sure if it time of year,salary,one child, or what.

Just am amazed at this salary demand-lady in question is Czech and is 26 with apparently good experience but I just cannot afford it-I don't make that much and I certainly do not have that amount of money to spend on me each week like Jura.

Am just amazed that anyoen can afford this type of salary-or am I just a pauper living in dreamland?

OP posts:
ssd · 19/09/2006 20:46

she's at it!

please don't think this is typical.

what about gumtree.co.uk

good luck!

wakeupandsmellthecoffee · 19/09/2006 21:32

ok what are you offering . loads of nannys read this site .

Uwila · 19/09/2006 22:33

Eh? £39k plus room and board. I'll have that job.

Advertise on nannyjob, greataupair.com, gumtree.com.

I've never used an agency and I always have loads of applicants. I'm not rich and I don't pretend to be. I'm very upfront with nannies that we don't live in a posh neighborhood of London, and there's no car on offer. (hmmm... not yet anyway) I pay less than what I see quoted on mumsnet, but hey I offer what I can.

Have you considered pinching staff from a local nursery. £200-£250 week take-home is probably more than what they are paid at the nursery when you factor in that they have no living expenses.

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 19/09/2006 22:43

Sounds like we are in exactly the same boat Uwila!!!!!!!!!!-except we did invest in a "nanny car".

Have advertised most places except Gumtree as am not in London.

As for pinching nursery staff-love the idea but not too sure how to go about it-other than lurking in the bushes at the end of the day adn accosting them

OP posts:
madchad · 20/09/2006 00:11

Perhaps she's confused by the exchange rate? (she asked , completely unconvinced)
Our nanny works a 40 hour week, so gets 80% of what a 50 hour nanny would. We're both happy with this. Is that an option?
Also try nannyjob.
Nursery nurses here (Berks) don't want to live in, but do get paid

arfishymeau · 20/09/2006 02:00

LOL! She's read that the streets of London are paved with gold. She might well think that's normal. I had no idea what to offer when recruiting an Australian nanny, wages are so different here.

I love greataupair, have you searched yourself or are you just waiting for them to come to you?

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 20/09/2006 14:06

Well here is most of the actual letter she sent me....

My name is XXXXXX XXXXXXX, 28 yeas old, single, I have been working as a nanny almost six years, I am an experienced nanny with checkable references, clean international driving licence and currently employed as a sole charge, full time, live in nanny.
My current job is in Sevenoaks, Kent and I?m available to start with a new job in the end of October 2006.

I?m looking for a sole charge, full time live in permanent position in U.K., preferably London area, Kent or Surrey, also I would be very interested to work in overseas countries like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Switzerland?

I?m happy to work long hours and over six days a week and baby sittings too, but I am looking for a good salary of £500+ per week.

Please find my CV and photo as attachment.

Admittedly quite a bit of experience although when you go through the CV it isn't really 6 yrs and she isn't a nanny in my book but she certainly knows what she wants!

OP posts:
Uwila · 20/09/2006 14:38

You could write her back and recommend she keep the job she has.

Oh, tell her to sign up for a course in geography where she might learn the the only country she listed is Switzerland. The UAE is the country of which Abu Dhabi and Dubai are a part.

Of course if it was me, I'd just write her back and say "You are a pompous twit."

Oh I'm going to be in really big trouble for this post, but I'm in a really good mood today and I just don't care.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee · 20/09/2006 20:10

FFS I am a nanny with 23years yes 23 years experience and I would only expect to get 350 to 400 pounds a week for sole charge and I would expect those to be 12 hour days as well and thats in the Surrey area (more expensive) so a live in i would expect 200 to 250 max a week .

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 20/09/2006 20:43

So pleased at the response to this-was beginning to think I was either a tight-arsed idiot or had been living on another planet for a year and something bizarre had happened to nanny salaries.

Don't know why I am mentioning it but she happens to be Czech-maybe this is why her geography isn't too hot Uwila
She also says in her letter her employers are happy to be contacted for references-complete with phone number-am SO tempted to call,just to see what they are paying her currently andwhat she does for it!

WakeUp.... wow,with that experience you deserve the salary-just wish I was able to afford someone as experienced as you.As it is,we are offering just what you suggest for a live in for one child,fully expensed car for sole use and nursery duties only...

OP posts:
Uwila · 20/09/2006 20:56

I don't think it's because she's Czech. Would have sooner guessed English or German. Have you tried Aussie or New Zealand? I hear good things about them. Never hired one myself though so can't really say.

Uwila · 20/09/2006 20:57

Oh damn. I should read more carefully. I was thinking of the high salary request when I said English or German and not geography ignorance.

Oh I'm bound to be in trouble now.

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 20/09/2006 21:27

Nah...wouldn't worry about it....we all knew what you meant!

OP posts:
arfishymeau · 21/09/2006 04:22

OMG she's already in the UK?! I would love to know what she's currently being paid.

nannynick · 21/09/2006 07:22

It's amazing what some people will try to get paid.
As a live-out nanny, I'm on less than 15k gross. Ok, so I don't work 48 weeks a year, but even so, think net hourly equivilent is around £7 per hour (for 3 children), so no why near £500 a week!

WishICouldGiveUpWork · 21/09/2006 10:41

Fishy....shall I ring her current employers and ask....dare me?

NannyNick-it seems these days that there is little difference between live-in or live-out salaries.You seem to be tremendous value!

I know a lot of people have nannies when they have two or more children and it works out sometimes cheaper than a nursery but I only have one and know that a nanny is a better option for her,plus my work hours are never 9-5.

Uwila-I hear good things of Oz and Kiwi nannies but not sure any want to work outside London and other than an agency not sure where to find them-have put adverts in all ususal online places.

OP posts:
Uwila · 21/09/2006 11:34

Oh, and Canadians are lovely. My nanny is Canadian and she spent this morning killing the wasps that I shyed away from. There were about 20 of them. She has now arranged a wasp exterminator to come round this afternoon... and agreed to babysit tonight at the last minute (only asked her about an hour ago). She's lovely.

Uwila · 21/09/2006 11:34

And I dare you!!! Ask her current salary... PLEASE.

hana · 21/09/2006 11:37

awww that's Canadians for you. Nice people!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.