My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Help - 8 month old won't drink ANYTHING for childminder

13 replies

Feenie · 08/09/2006 12:49

My 8 month old will drink breastmilk, formula, juice, water, etc out of an open doidy cup at home, but refuses everything for the childminder. He is there from quarter to 8 until half past 4, and I'm worried he will make himself ill. He eats okay, so why won't he drink for her?
His childminder has suggested that I stop breastfeeding so he gets used to formula - I will do this if I have to but feel very emotional about it. Please, any suggestions? Thanks.(Copy on breastfeeding board too.)

OP posts:
looneytune · 08/09/2006 12:58

OMG, I would NEVER recommend a parent stops BF . Does he use a different cup at the childminder's? I know my little mindees were fussy on types of beakers at first.

looneytune · 08/09/2006 13:02

btw, not saying you shouldn't stop if you're ready to, just wouldn't make a parent feel they should!

Feenie · 08/09/2006 14:36

I think she genuinely feels it would be better for him, this has been going on a while now. I would much rather carry on bfing until he is 12 months, it's so hard leaving him as it is, it would really upset me if I had to stop bfing aswell. He would hate it too, but if it helps him drink for the childminder, it may be for the best?
The doidy cup is the only one he'll drink from, I send the same one to her. He drank from it in front of her yesterday for me, but won't when I'm not there!

OP posts:
looneytune · 08/09/2006 14:38

How long as he been with the childminder for?

saltire · 08/09/2006 14:38

As a last resort, would he take liquid from a spoon? I had a wee boys like this, he wouldn't eat AT ALL when i had him (7.45 am until 5.30 pm) but would take liquid from a spoon! It was better than nothing i thought

liquidclocks · 08/09/2006 14:41

I know this must be making you pretty upset but I REALLY don't think you should give up BF at all if you aren't ready. If your LO was really thirsty I'm sure he would drink, especially juice. Do you think you could get the childminder to try him with a spoon full of liquid?

How long has he been going to her?

liquidclocks · 08/09/2006 14:42

X posts saltire!

dmo · 08/09/2006 14:52

i took a brest fed baby and he would not use a bottle or cup for me in the end i spoon fed him which took a while but at least he was drinking
after 4 mths of spoon feeding he just decided to use a cup
do not give up brest feeding

nailpolish · 08/09/2006 14:54

try puting ice cubes in the cup (no water)

its interesting to him, he will play with it and may even end up drinking it!

Feenie · 08/09/2006 14:54

He's been going since the beginning of June, but I'm a teacher, so we had a lovely 6 week holiday, which probably hasn't helped. He's been back 5 days now.
Thanks for the spoon suggestion, will ask her to try that one. He's so awkward though, he's at the stage of eating where only finger foods will do, and tightens his lips if a spoon comes near him!

OP posts:
amphion · 05/10/2006 12:31

Perhaps he might suck on an absolutely clean wet flannel if it was given to him to play with while in the highchair - at least it might get a bit of moisture into him until he gets over this?

Twoandabump · 05/10/2006 12:50

I would be mortified if someone said to give up bf! If he is thirsty, then he will have a drink. Does she have other children, as the doidy cup may be a bit of a faff and she just doesn't want to take the time maybe??

I used to leave ds for one day a week when I went back to work, and he would have the minimum to drink through the day, and then he used to just go mad and have an enormous feed when I came home! This used to happen around that age as well, but he just grew out of it.

Maybe ask your hv about it, as I am sure that thirsty children will drink.

amphion · 05/10/2006 12:56

Oh, just noticed the dates of the messages - I guess the situation has resolved?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.