My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders Club - what happens if you give notice???

2 replies

lunavix · 23/08/2006 21:36

I'm looking forward to returning to work after this baby is born (in a tired kind of way ) but obviously the usual worries are popping up - for example, if the baby is ill (heavens forbid) or if somethign else happens.

I've told the parents I may need unpaid time off after the birth, and have also informed them of my intentions to return to work 2 weeks after a 'normal' birth, or 6 after a caesarean. But I'm just wondering, what if I can't?

If for example - and I'm touching wood and thinking worst case scenario only! - I had a CS, so 6 weeks off work, but the baby was somewhat poorly so I needed indefinate off. Legally, and morally, where do I stand? I can give the parents up to 6 weeks notice that I can't return to work, or give a definate date when I can, but do I owe them money? What happens?

What would happen normally if a CM phoned the parents one day and said 'sorry I can't have little Johnny any more'?

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 25/08/2006 10:14

I would contact ncma, i would expect that they would know that you can not possibly know what sort of birth you will have. I think they should be reasonable but i dont know the legal standing. Why are you having so little time off.?

Ineedaholiday · 25/08/2006 17:24

As the parents are all aware that you are having a baby then surely they know that there may be a delay in whan you start back if everything doesnt go exactly to plan. I made arrangments for other people to watch n=my mindees so that I didnt have to give a definate starting back date until I felt ready to start back. Could you not make a back up plan with othe minders just incase.
I think you are doing well if you can start back so quickly I couldnt have done it. I had 10 weeks off and started back when baby was 7 wks old.
No idea what the legal position is but could you not mention your worries to the parents to prepare them just incase.
Kizzypie

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.