My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

How much should we offer for a Summer Au pair?

7 replies

Xena · 09/07/2006 21:38

I haven't a clue, room and board obv included. Not sole charge, children 8,4,2andbaby

OP posts:
dmo · 10/07/2006 00:00

not sure have you read some other threads? nannyl seems to know lots on wages etc but not sure differents between nanny/au pair

nannyk · 10/07/2006 00:18

Hi, it depends on the hours, your location etc too. For example if you got an au pair for 25 hours a week, then the average seems to be about 70/week in and around London. An au pair plus, who can do 35 hours a week could get 100-120/week. Another option to consider would be a student doing a childcare course, as the age range you have would be hugely valuable experience for an NNEB or NVQ student. They would be a bit more of a Mothers Help style role, and you would have to pay a little more, maybe 150/week for around 40-50 hours. They would be a little more expensive, but may pose less of a risk for a short term assignment. Au pairs are a funny breed, there are some fabulous ones out there and some who I wouldn't leave my goldfish with. It's luck of the draw really. Make sure you speak to references, and preferably choose one with previous experience as you have a busy household from the ages of your kids, and don't need another child to look after to add to the chaos!! Good luck .

nannyk · 10/07/2006 00:23

And to help you out dmo, a nanny is a professional childcarer who is trained/experienced in sole charge care of babies and children. It's our career. An au pair is a young person who comes to live with you to learn the language and culture. In return for a little help around the house, and some childcare for older children, they get bed, board and pocket money. The system is open to abuse, and also there are au pairs who should not be left with goldfish let alone children. The main purpose of an au pair though is not to be a cheap nanny. It's a cultural exchange that is mutually beneficial. The family get 25/35 hours a week of help around the house/basic childcare, and in return the au pair gets to experience family life in another country, bed and board and pocket money. Some au pairs are capable of more but generally their responsibility should be no where near that of a nanny. I hope that helps clear up the confusion.

dmo · 10/07/2006 00:33

thanks nannyk
prob would not get an au pair myself if i had to even though boys are 9 and 10 boys would prob run rings round her esp if she didnt speak english

Xena · 10/07/2006 01:35

thanks nannyk. My girls are 4 and 2 so adore 'bigger girls'. The work I envisage the aupair doing is mainly with those 2 and tbh they are the easier option.

OP posts:
tenalady · 10/07/2006 22:40

I have a French Au Pair and we are in the home counties. £50 pw pocket money and will work 5 days. Just light housework and entertaining my ds4. She obviously gets accomodation and food.

beachyhead · 13/07/2006 22:37

I had a great Aussie au pair last summer from the gumtree.co.uk. She cost £90 a week, 7 hours a day, obviously no issue with English. She was only 19 but very well spoken and responsible enough to take older two (8 and 4 then) out for the day in London. We had to go through a lot of dross email responses frankly, but it really worked for me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.