Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


Moving Months payment forward by a week just for one due to long long holiday . Reasonable?

8 replies

jellyjelly · 05/06/2006 14:59

Will be working up till i think 27 of this month then getting married and flying off for near to 3 weeks. Do you think it is reasonable to ask for the cheque before i go so i can bank it or ask them to pay it in to the bank if they still want to pay on the 1st of the month.

Does this sound alright - Normally get the cheque on 1st but it doesnt go in till about the 5th of each month. (Contract says payment on 1st of each month).

Views please.

OP posts:

girrafey · 05/06/2006 15:31

ok unless i read it wrong, you are being paid for the time you are away and you would like to still have that money when you are away?

if it is a family whom you think could afford the money early, and you get on well with them then i would ask. if not i would give them the paying in number that they would need and ask them to pay it into your account on the first. if need be say that it is because you have your normal bills going out on the 5th?

hope your wedding goes ok and you have a lovely time. x


jellyjelly · 05/06/2006 16:12

No not getting paid for the holiday time but will from the day i start back (middle of month) till the end so pay will be for that. Should get paid on 1st by cheque for july but wont be here so need it on 25th june or something to pay in.

OP posts:

saltire · 05/06/2006 17:15

Maybe they don't get paid until the 1st of the month, so would they be able to afford to pay you early? Otherwise just give them a pay in slip and ask them to pay it in for you.
I usually get paid weekly by my parents so not a problem i've ever really come across


jellyjelly · 05/06/2006 17:16

I know they get paid on 23rd because they have mentioned it before but just felt funny asking for payment early.

OP posts:

Katymac · 05/06/2006 17:17

If it's due on the first you should have it on the 1st

Can they give you a postdated chq and someone else pay it in for you?


ayla99 · 06/06/2006 14:25

I recently went on holiday & one parent was due to pay me while I was away. I gave her the invoice earlier than usual, if she'd queried it I would have explained that I wouldn't have expected her to travel 100 miles to pay me on the due date, and I would be happy to accept a post-dated cheque if there was a problem paying early.

I'm now putting into my contracts that if the payment day falls during a holiday period then the payment must be made on the last day of childcare before the holiday to avoid late payment fees.


jellyjelly · 06/06/2006 14:32

Thankyou, the other question could be is it money in the bank or cheque on the first of the month. I dont think it is unreasonable to ask for payment earlier or they would have to fork out one months payment on the 18th when i get back then another one 12 days later.

Thanks ayla

OP posts:

Bozza · 06/06/2006 14:38

I would just bring it up and casually discuss it to see where they stand. As a Mum who uses a childminder, as long as the money left the bank after I got paid (28th) I wouldn't care when it was paid and be willing to be helpful. I think I would make extra effort for a childcarer who was getting married.

All a bit irrelevent now as I pay by vouchers!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?