My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

tax arrangements for holiday only nanny

6 replies

elliott · 13/04/2006 13:13

just wondering what happens in the case of employing someone for a variable number of hours in school holidays - maybe 2 days/wk for a small number of weeks? Assuming I am the only employer, do I still have to pay BR tax on those weeks when I am paying more than the lower earning threshold?

OP posts:
MrsBigD · 13/04/2006 13:48

no idea :) but bump

I use nannypaye and if there are any changes in the hours my nanny does etc I just tell them. I pay for the priviledge but it makes it so much easier

elliott · 13/04/2006 13:54

maybe nannynick is on holiday....
Have to say the number of hours I'll be needing i don't think its worth using nannypaye - also I prefer to know exactly what's going on so would end up doing the work anyway!

OP posts:
MrsBigD · 13/04/2006 14:03

ask Inland Revenue? If you have ages to wait on the phone Grin

May I ask why you're using BR? Doesn't she have the normal tax code?

Uwila · 13/04/2006 14:19

I think if a nanny works temp. then she can be self employed. So you could probably just pay her in cash and leave the tax burden to her to sort out. Ah, wouldn't life be grand if we could all do that?

Uwila · 13/04/2006 14:20

What is BR?

(mind you the tax comparment of my brain is all full up just now as I have just mailed off my US annual tax burden)

MrsBigD · 13/04/2006 14:22

BR = Basic rate which gets charged at flat rate without tax allowance :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.