My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Cm Club: Equal Ops - suggestions needed for toys etc

17 replies

diddle · 15/03/2006 18:57

Hi,

I have been given as a condition of my ofsted report, a the job to have more equal opportunities toys and displays. I was just wondering what the rest of you have done to cover this area.

OP posts:
SwimmingUpHillThroughCustard · 15/03/2006 20:13

not reg yet but i would think - lots of variety of dress up, neautral things like art and paints and things like prams or tool sets as long as they're not classed as 'boys' and 'girls' toys will be fine IMO?

Hulababy · 15/03/2006 20:16

Dolls of different ethnic origins, not just white dolls.

Hulababy · 15/03/2006 20:16

Sorry, nit CM but I know this was something a couple of CMs I knew had, amongst other things.

SwimmingUpHillThroughCustard · 15/03/2006 20:16

dolls with missing limbs etc to show that disabilities are normal

jellyjelly · 15/03/2006 20:26

dress up activities for boys and girls.

What sort of toys do you have then maybe we can suggest what is missing?

Go to charity shops and buy some barbies even if they are not dressed.

mrspitt · 15/03/2006 20:26

Introducing different festivals eg Chinese New Year, Divali(sp?). Talking about other countries showing pics, making stuff to do with them?

FeelingOld · 15/03/2006 20:42

Books showing people of different colours/race and people with disabilities (I picked some up quite cheaply off amazon) or even make up your own scrapbook with pictures cut out of newspapers or magazines.
Black dolls and boy dolls or maybe have one dolly with a cheap pair of sunglasses on with the lenses taken out and make it into a visually impaired doll or make crutches for one.
Ethnic finger puppets.
Poster with 'hello' in different languages.
'Celebrate' different festivals or 'travel' around the world by choosing a different country each month and then tasting food from that country, making their flag and look at their culture etc, then make up a passport and put photos of the children 'visiting' each country.

If your mindees make something like a chinese lantern or a light for diwali and they take them home, take photos of them making them so that you can proove to ofsted that you have done these things.

These are some of the things I have done and you do not have to spend lots of money on them.
If I think of any more will post again.

FeelingOld · 15/03/2006 20:42

Books showing people of different colours/race and people with disabilities (I picked some up quite cheaply off amazon) or even make up your own scrapbook with pictures cut out of newspapers or magazines.
Black dolls and boy dolls or maybe have one dolly with a cheap pair of sunglasses on with the lenses taken out and make it into a visually impaired doll or make crutches for one.
Ethnic finger puppets.
Poster with 'hello' in different languages.
'Celebrate' different festivals or 'travel' around the world by choosing a different country each month and then tasting food from that country, making their flag and look at their culture etc, then make up a passport and put photos of the children 'visiting' each country.

If your mindees make something like a chinese lantern or a light for diwali and they take them home, take photos of them making them so that you can proove to ofsted that you have done these things.

These are some of the things I have done and you do not have to spend lots of money on them.
If I think of any more will post again.

diddle · 16/03/2006 07:37

thank you very much, think i was having a brainless moment. got loads of good ideas there.

OP posts:
SwimmingUpHillThroughCustard · 16/03/2006 09:44

would have thought youd have got some help from your course tutor though? and throughout the assignment?mine must be done differently?

frankieb · 16/03/2006 11:52

Hi
The fisher price little people toys are great, all sorts of colours, wheelchairs etc.

I've also got a collection of books which I got from Amazon, All Sorts of People, All Sorts of Beleifs, All Sorts of homes, they are good.
TTFN
Frankie

fennel · 16/03/2006 11:58

our childminder had dolls of different ethnic origins, as outlined by her Ofsted report. I think the effect was slightly dampened by her calling them the "chocolate dollies". Shock

Isyhan · 16/03/2006 12:01

put a sari in your dressing up box that goes down a treat apparently!

diddle · 16/03/2006 12:16

swimminguphillthroughcustard - not doing a course, i'm already registered, and have a few things, but the inspector wanted me to have some more.
Love the scrapbook idea.

OP posts:
alison222 · 16/03/2006 12:55

i got a jigsaw from ELC caleed "faces of the world"
books include "boots for a bridesmaid2 and "are we nearly there yet?" with wheelchair users
The usbourne books "fred the firefighter" and Vicky the Vet and daisy the doctor have "mulitcoloured" people in them and people of both sexes doing all jobs to avoid sexual sterotyping.
Old fabric for saris etc. Long thin scarves to make turbans.
if you have tinies - teletubbies always have something on for the various religious festivals so you could video them for use at appropriate times.
i have aquired a playmobile wheelchair and ambulance (from E-bay as the chair is discontiniued)which the children use.
Balamory has someone in a wheelchair & there is loads of balamory stuff around

SwimmingUpHillThroughCustard · 16/03/2006 13:17

oops sorryBlush

LunarSea · 16/03/2006 13:25

The oxfam shops have a range of toys with children of different nationalities/ethnicities.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.