My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminder's Club: References

14 replies

HappyMumof2 · 05/03/2006 16:54

When a child leaves you, do you ask the parent for a written reference? My mindee is leaving me in May and I would like to get a reference to add to my portfolio. Seems better to get a written one than to have lots of different parents ringing asking for one, I would think?

Is that what other people do, actually ask for one?

OP posts:
Jackmummy · 05/03/2006 17:21

I do... I'm sure nobody minds giving one, but are unlikely to offer unprompted.
It can be as long or short as they want afterall... and I'm sure they'll see why you need it. :)

HappyMumof2 · 05/03/2006 18:46

Thanks Smile

OP posts:
Katymac · 05/03/2006 19:19

I ask for them too

mumlove · 05/03/2006 19:28

I ask for them to, but getting the parents to actually write them is something else. Last mindees finished july 05 and everytime I see the parents out they say it is wrote but it needs to be typed on the computer (why can't I have the hand written one?).

HellyBelly · 05/03/2006 19:40

I would if a mindee leaves but so far, I have 2 from parents just because I said it would look good for my Ofsted inspection! You should definitely ask! :)

PandaG · 05/03/2006 20:30

I have references too, I asked for them and parents were happy to oblige.

HappyMumof2 · 05/03/2006 20:33

Thanks for that Smile

do you ask a little while before they are due to leave then?

and when you have references, do you keep them in your general portfolio, so that parents/Ofsted can see them, or do you just show them to parents who say they definately want you?

OP posts:
mumlove · 05/03/2006 20:50

I ask for them as soon as I know someone is leaving.

I keep them in my folder to show parents that come to see me and for ofsted.

Jensmum · 05/03/2006 20:57

I asked for a reference just before my inspection (September) I'm still waiting for it now

She said she didn't know what to write so could I write it for her and she could then sign it!

As tempting as it was to write a glowing reference about myself I didn't do it, it just didn't seem right

blodwen · 05/03/2006 21:03

I give the parents questionnaires to fill in every so often, detailing what they like, don't like (hopefully not much!), would like to see/do, etc etc. Leave plenty of space for them to write comments. Obviously it's not quite the same as a reference, but it's alot better than nothing to show OFSTED and potential parents, and gives me useful feedback too. Of course, they don't ALL fill it in and return it!!

HappyMumof2 · 05/03/2006 21:46

Thanks Smile

Jensmum - I can't believe someone actually asked you to write your own reference!! Shock

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 06/03/2006 08:08

I was asked by one of mine to do my own and then get her to sign it. I didnt

ayla99 · 06/03/2006 09:17

I've always asked parents to give me a reference when they leave. Although everyone says they will, very few do. Having had to write one for a childminder my dd used to go to, I know its very difficult to think of what to write.

I now give out questionnaires and so far everyone has returned one.

PandaG · 06/03/2006 11:32

Blodwen - I really like the idea of questionnaires, will do that with my parents too, as well as asking for references, could be a valuable form of feedback

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.