Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.



11 replies

oldandfat · 09/02/2006 13:45

If I have an assistand does this then mean I can have 6 under 5s

OP posts:

HellyBelly · 09/02/2006 13:47

not always, i can't as my house is too small so there was no point dh registering


ThePrisoner · 09/02/2006 19:24

OFSTED will decide how many you can have depending on how much space you have. If my dh or dds are here (registered as assistants for emergency cover or occasional odd days), I'm allowed to have 6 under 5 - it's jolly hard work and not something I'd do on a permanent basis.


oldandfat · 09/02/2006 22:23

do you have a huge house?

OP posts:

ThePrisoner · 09/02/2006 22:45

An absolute castle but childminding friends have smaller houses and have the same ratios as me (and using an occasional assistant).

I know of one minder who was registered for less than 3 under 5s in the first place because she was less "experienced" (only ever had one child of her own - not fair, but was the reason given apparently).


katymac · 10/02/2006 07:34

I have a 1950's two bedroom ex council house............with a whacking great extenstion on the back (12 by 42) so I can have 9 ...poor me


oldandfat · 10/02/2006 07:37

do you have 2 assistants then?

OP posts:

katymac · 10/02/2006 07:40

DH = Childminder
Plus 2xChildminders (employees)
Plus 2xAssistants


Isyhan · 10/02/2006 08:19

Theres a childminder down the road who has a small semi and has 3 childminders working for her in the house, one of the childminders sleeps at the house (thereby making it childminders not nursery) the woman in charge actually lives next door and they have a house full of children!


oldandfat · 10/02/2006 10:49

so (sorry about sounding thick....i am) how do you go about paying the childminders. surely they would earn the same as you as they are cms but you wouldnt be making any profit. how does this work when doing tax as they are all using YOUR house. I am very interested in doing something similar but would need to make a profit as well.

OP posts:

Isyhan · 10/02/2006 10:53

the lady just pays them a rate. they dont earn the same as a cm because they dont have to give over their home and family to cming, they dont have wear and tear on their houses. they are quite young the girls she employs. she puts them through their qualifications, does all paperwork for them, they dont have to run their own businesses. but, she can ask them to do more as they are registered.they work to her direction. she does all advertising etc.


oldandfat · 10/02/2006 11:46

sounds interesting, may look into it. thanks for your help.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?