Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


Childminder's Club:What should I do??

9 replies

katymac · 06/02/2006 21:41

As you know I employ 2 other childminders.

They are great, really fab - flexible and supportive

They have suggested that I go away in April (& I've booked Disney) - but have suggested that they want more than their normal acting up rate - which seems reasonable
I normally pay £5.30 and up it to £6 phr when DH or I are out (as they are in sole charge)

So what would be reasonable as an additional rate (and should it be on top of the ordinary rate or a higher rate)

My Dad suggested a flat rate

(BTW I am already losing about £120 just employing them the extra hrs that I normally work....but I really want this holiday)

OP posts:

ThePrisoner · 06/02/2006 23:30

I don't want to start a riot here, but why should you pay any more just because you are away? You are the boss, they are employees - it wouldn't happen in a "normal" business. (Eeek - hope that didn't sound too rude!)


katymac · 07/02/2006 07:06

On the basis that if I'm on a course/shopping/at my mums I could get home in an emergancy to take over/deal with parents

If I'm abroad I can't

If the manager of a business (eg a shop) is away - the deputy does get "acting up" money - I think?

OP posts:

Isyhan · 07/02/2006 07:35

katymac- they are employees! not just doing you a favour. whats in there job description. if you have a jd stating they will cover in your absence then dont pay any more.


katymac · 07/02/2006 10:04

But I do understand that if I'm out the country they have additional responsibilities

Not just if I'm down the road

OP posts:

alison222 · 07/02/2006 10:24

In a normal business if the manager is off sick or having a day off or on holiday then the deputy acts as manager for that time. It is usually part of thier job description and does not normally attract extra pay unless they are working extra hours and get paid overtime. Having said that if it is a longer term thing like someone leaves and you are recruiting a replacement then they may be temporarily "promoted" to the other job - acting up- and may well recieve higher rates for this.

I guess it comes down to what is in their contracts of employment Katiemac as as others have pointed out you are running a business so you have to put your business head on and look at how this should work in this context.

I know what you mean about the extra responsibility though and they are getting extra pay anyway if they are in sole charge but if you feel they deserve extra then perhaps your dad is right and a flat rate may work to cover all hours they work not just those when there are children around if they are expected to do other things too. That way you could know the cost in advance and budget for it. if it was hourly then what if something unexpectedly increases there hours whilst you re away, (and without wishing to sound suspicious) you have no way of checking how many hours they actually worked while you are away in this eventuality IFSWIM.


katymac · 07/02/2006 20:47

Hmmm - I hate this sort of decision - I'm much better on spur of the moment stuff

I think I'll have to keep thinking

OP posts:

ThePrisoner · 07/02/2006 21:39

Remember that you are still the one bearing the brunt of all the expenses though - you might be away but you will still be paying for electricity, heating, water, telephone, food, toys/activities for the children. That's why you are the one in charge, and they are your staff!


katymac · 07/02/2006 21:42

I know

It just seems a bit mean when I'm making £1.80 phr profit to pay them £6.30 (which is what they want)

OP posts:

lexiemum · 07/02/2006 22:14

I've been in an Acting role for 12mths now, for which I get paid the same salary as the person I am acting for (shes on adoption leave).

However, before this time, i would "act up" in her absence to cover sickness and annual leave - at no time did I get anymore money.

I don't think they should have anymore money than what you've already agreed. It's your business.

Bring them back some Mickey Mouse ears or a winnie the pooh keyrring and thank them for the great job they've done.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?