My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders Club: Another 'What to Do???'

21 replies

HellyBelly · 11/01/2006 10:44

As you know, my circumstances have changed recently and I can no longer be so fussy about what work I take. Before Christmas I was turning down work for odd days as I had a possible baby which could be full time from April/May. Well, the new mum has been very honest and said although she needs to work financially, she's going to do what she can to help her stay at home a bit longer as she wants to spend as much time as possible with her new baby. She understands my position and has told me to go ahead with what ever other work comes up as she doesn't want to let me down.

So, now I have someone looking for 1 day a week. Before our situation changed, I would have turned this down as it stops me taking a full timer but now I don't know what to do??? If they wanted 2 or 3 days a week, I would definitely have her round but I just don't know what to do now I would love to say yes and it will be an extra £30 a week but if I get any other enquiries which include a Tuesday, I'll be full and therefore have to turn the work down (I'm not one to get rid of someone for a better offer - not fair on the children!)

I know there's no right answer to this but I'd appreciate your views!

Thanks

OP posts:
Icemum · 11/01/2006 11:11

Hi Helly,

Imo, it's very unlikely that you would get a full timer (unless they are very common around where you are-they certainly aren't in my area)

If I were in your shoes I'm fraid I would take what ever came along first-you never know as she may increase her hours at some point.HTH

badgerhead · 11/01/2006 11:12

Although at present I have mostly full timers (2 are & one is 4 days) I have in the past had lots of part timers & I generally found that the days slotted in together really well. I think I would take ion the 1 day one as you would probably find that other part timers could well swop their days around to fit in IYSWIM

HellyBelly · 11/01/2006 11:25

That's reassuring about places slotting in together. Tbh most of my enquiries have been for full timers or at least 2/3 days a week so I was worried about a 1 day part timer stopping me taking other work - hopefully that won't happen. I'll see if she wants to meet up then. Shame most of the full time enquiries came when I had the other mindees

Still interested in other opinions so keep them coming

OP posts:
babydales · 11/01/2006 12:30

If you took on this child and then a full timer came up would it not be worth applying for a variation, they are a lot easier to come by these days than they used to be. Worth a thought.

puppy · 11/01/2006 12:35

if it was me , personally I would take this child on as you never know when your next enquiry will be.

HellyBelly · 11/01/2006 12:49

Babydales - didn't think I'd be allowed that but I suppose worth asking - thought they were quite strict on being over numbers.

Puppy - I am going to have her round for a chat if she wants to come as I really need the money. Just that I do tend to get quite a few enquiries from my website and online advertising and quite often they are full time or a few days a week. Just didn't want to rush in to a decision when my circumstances only changed on xmas eve.

Suppose this is the problem with this job, not knowing whether or not you are making the right decision!

Thanks again for the advice

OP posts:
FeelingOld · 11/01/2006 13:45

I was a little wary of taking 'odd days' care when I first started cos I was a little worried like you, but after while I realised that I was not going to get any full timers (quite rare in my area) so I started taking on part-timers of which I now have 8. I have found that if they want to increase their hours they tend to fit them in around me and now I am virtually full. Another good thing about having a lot of part-timers is that if 1 is off ill or leaves you still have quite a good income.
Good luck in whatever you decide but just thought I would let you know it has worked out fine for me.

HellyBelly · 11/01/2006 13:54

That's reassuring - thanks for that!

OP posts:
ThePrisoner · 11/01/2006 18:33

Like FeelingOld, I've also had several part-timers who have slotted together nicely. It would obviously be a pain if you had a serious enquiry for a full-time space but, as you have already said, you've also had enquiries for parents wanting just 2 or 3 days. Hopefully, you could take on part-timers like that, and effectively fill your full-time space with them.

HellyBelly · 11/01/2006 19:24

Thanks again

OP posts:
Tan1959 · 11/01/2006 21:58

Hi Hellybelly; I too have similar situation although as you know I recently took on new mindee for 4 full days (hoorah ) but I still have a part-time mindee & need to take on another couple of part-timers! her little friend intends to start soon (an afternoon or two per week) so am trying to work out with the mum best way to slot her in - I have also had an enquiry just for one day per week (coming Fri) & believe it or not, a full timer but unless I gave notice to current part-timer (who I have had for 1 year now) I cannot even consider meeting them - this is really bad business sense I know - I have been battling with this decision for a good couple of weeks now - I just hope my current mindee's parents will be as loyal to me as I am them!

I have so far only had the one part-timer but I think part-timers can slot in very well - really hope something more comes your way soon

HellyBelly · 12/01/2006 09:34

Thanks and well done Tan1959 - what a turnaround for you

I'm feeling much better about taking odd days now after reading this - I'm just new to all this still but feel better and it makes sense because if I have a full timer leave then my income drops a lot!

What would I do without you lot eh!

OP posts:
HellyBelly · 14/01/2006 15:58

Update:

The lady who wanted one day a week didn't call back in the end but I managed to get a phone number from her current minder (who I know) and called her today. She was grateful for call, she hadn't called last week as baby's been in hospital but she needs to sort this out asap so she's coming on Monday afternoon! Baby is only 5 months old - bless!

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the advice, it's really made me look at things in a different light! (i.e. one full timer goes, massive drop in income)

OP posts:
HellyBelly · 16/01/2006 17:12

Thanks for making me see the positives to part timers. Got another lady and baby coming on Wednesday for another day a week job. Baby 3½ months at the mo - bless

OP posts:
wendy33 · 16/01/2006 18:00

Hi

If it was me it would depend on her age. If for example she was 10 months old then I would say yes because it is unlikely that you will get a fulltimer in the next 8 weeks. Aslo look at what time of year it is. Generally there are lots of newborn babies around Nov/Dec time which may result in a few enquiries in the next 2 months also. Alot of mums look for a childminder at around 4 months old as they cant afford to be off. If you are in need of income I would say yes. I made the mistake of turning a 1 day a week child down and eneded up losing out when I found out she upped her sessions once she was 6 months old.

Hope that helps!

HellyBelly · 16/01/2006 18:50

Yes, I'm glad I saw this lady as she did say that she was gradually going back to work so would eventually add to her days. At the moment she just wants Tuesday's, this other lady just wants Wednesday's for now but again, that could change. Although I love having my current mindee Mon - Thurs, it will be nice to have some new ones for odd days so that we get a different mix

If I was lucky enough to get both of these babies then I'd have 2 toddlers Mon - Thurs and different babies 5/6 months old one day a week. I'd quite like that! Think the toddlers would like it too. My ds LOVES babies

Fingers crossed for Wednesday now

OP posts:
HappyMumof2 · 16/01/2006 18:52

Message withdrawn

HellyBelly · 16/01/2006 19:27

Not at all happymumof2 . I've ALWAYS LOVED babies and children, just think that because I'll be 30 next month and our financial situation has made me wonder if we'll have any more, it's just been on my mind. Having said that, it will be great to look after babies without having to get up in the night etc .

OP posts:
HellyBelly · 16/01/2006 19:28

BTW, just to point out, before dh lost his job I was very happy with my one ds and childminding! It's just when you think you may not be able to, then you start thinking iyswim?

OP posts:
HappyMumof2 · 16/01/2006 19:36

Message withdrawn

HellyBelly · 16/01/2006 19:38

Don't ever get worried about being personal with me! Not at all bothered - you made me laugh that's all . Just cute seeing a little baby again today (as although she's 6 months soon, she's only 13lbs!)

I'll let you know how I get on! Good luck to anyone else trying too!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.