Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.
Childminders Club: Do you ever call people who've met you to see if they've decided whether they want you or not?
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 15:54
As some of you know, I met a lovely pregnant lady before Christmas and we left it that she would contact me in the New Year to arrange her coming with her dp. She was due about a week before Christmas and I said I'd wait to hear from her when she's ready but I'd contact her if any new enquiries came up.
Well, I had a handful of enquiries before Christmas but they were things I didn't want or couldn't have i.e. 2 children which would take me over my numbers, 1 or 2 days a week and I decided to hold off for a more full time position (my circumstances were very different at the time as dh was working).
Now I have a dilemma. I have some contact details for people I turned down that I could use to ask if they managed to find someone or are they still looking (as I need whatever I can get now ). Obviously I'd much prefer to take on this ladies baby IF she wanted me but how do I know whether or not she is serious (sounded it but you never know do you!).
I don't want to call her to ask as she's probably very tired and busy at the moment BUT I don't want to go behind her back trying to find work without speaking to her first.
What would you do? (sorry, it just keeps going round and round in my head!)
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 17:30
Cheers. I suppose I just feel awkward about the timing as she'll still be a very new mum. Will do it though
As for when she'd be going back to work, around April/May time. We discussed retainer etc. so for me it's more of a 'do you want me' so I know where I stand.
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 17:36
Ooops, started replying earlier and now more of you have replied!
Thanks for the advice She was hoping to be on email at home soon after visiting me but I can't be sure she is. Do you think I should try emailing first or go straight for the call? May seem a silly question but I need as much advice as possible as I've never had this before!
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 18:43
Probably best then as I do waffle sometimes (as if you didn't know that already ). Maybe I'll put something in there about not being sure she's on email so will give it til x and then call as I wouldn't want to presume she got the email and then use her space (type thing) - what do you reckon?
blondehelen · 05/01/2006 22:01
as a parent, i have always phoned cm that I have visited and told them the reasons why I am not going with them etc.... i think its a bit rude not to. I wouldn't mind if a I got a phone call at all and I think you have been quite patient. it wouldn't put me off as i would be more concerned about being without childcare.
Tan1959 · 05/01/2006 22:19
Hellybelly: I have called a couple of prospective mindees parents after they have visited if they had indicated they would call me and didn't; wasnt because I was desperate you understand but did not want to give the place to someone else if they had set their heart on it - I usually called after a couple of weeks if I thought they appeared really keen. In my particular case, I have had three mums call, one who visited and keeps phoning to ask if I can do x y z (overnight care) then I don't hear anything for a couple of weeks and I end up calling her to see whether she will be needing care. Always says yes then same scenario again! and then their is the other lady with the baby who made inital enquiry about 6 weeks ago, her & hubby and of course the gorgeous nearly 12 week old baby finally visited and starts next week but I did call her twice! if it were me, I think I would call, you could say that you are receiving enquiries for the place - good luck if you do
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 22:33
Right, I think I will call otherwise I will be wondering if she's read the email or not - keep changing my mind
Just want to point out she came 10 days before she was due and at the time (different circumstances) I was happy to wait til New Year and didn't intend to put any pressure on until say mid-late January however with household income suddenly down to £6500, things are very different so I need to be careful I don't loose out all together iyswim.
Will try calling tomorrow - she was lovely so I don't know why I'm worrying, just don't like the thought of putting her off!
Thanks for the advice everyone - helps a lot!
Tan1959 · 05/01/2006 22:39
Yes - but not sure if I would be able to take as firstly, I will be over my numbers on two afternoons (can't believe I am saying that after the hardship of the last year) but also not sure exactly when the child will be 12 months ie he is 11 months but I am hope 11 months and three weeks as he too needs care from next week! and will have 12 week old baby from next week too. Just had another enquiry for 12 months old today - I am also thinking of getting relative in to help as assistant if all parents who visit want a place! Have you decided yet whether to ring that lovely lady?
HellyBelly · 05/01/2006 22:47
I really am very pleased for you as I didn't want you to have to give it up - what a turnaround eh! Fingers crossed things turn around for me too!! Can't believe I had 4 mindees a few months ago and had to give notice to 3 (but I had no choice under the circumstances and they all came together so one having to go meant all 3 had to go!). Whilst dh is at home, when he's not on the phone sorting things out it's handy to have him as my assistant (lucky I got that in writing at the end of last year!) as I can work hard on marketing the other business to see if that can bring more money in for now!
Good luck tomorrow - nice to have a choice!
HellyBelly · 06/01/2006 11:19
Great, woke up very bunged up (sinuses again!) and as it my day off and I feel like poo (eye ache, headache, sore throat) I'm still in my dressing gown . Dh was on the phone from 9 - 10.15am and I've just found the ladies number on an email so am plucking up the courage to ring (just hoping to de-bung a bit first! ). Off to get dressed and then may call after that!
Will let you know what happens!
agalch · 06/01/2006 11:59
Helly please hurry and phone her!! I am in same situation as you.Am giving my mum till Monday and will deffo phone her.I don't want to give the space to someone else and then have her phone next week to ask when she can come and do paperwork.I am nervous but i think if i keep it light and friendly she can't object(hopefully)
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.