My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Going rate for nanny in London

9 replies

rickshaw · 29/11/2005 21:15

I'm sure this has been asked loads of times before, but can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay a full-time, live-out nanny in central London? I'm just starting to look for one...

OP posts:
NannyL · 29/11/2005 22:17

at least 350 nett per week for central london... possibly a bit more, maybe £400 net per week

(dep on experiance, qualifications etc!)

hatstand · 29/11/2005 22:31

£6 an hour plus tax and NI - pretty much absolute minimum, with experience and qualifications would be more like £7 or more. take account of tax and ni though - it's HUGE. check out Nanny Tax - a payroll agency with a tax/ni calculator on their website.

Earlybird · 29/11/2005 22:39

Around £8 per hour for an experienced, but unqualified nanny. For a fully qualified and experienced nanny, it's in the region of £10 per hour plus tax and NI.

beril · 29/11/2005 22:56

£8-9 or 10 net, depends on the hours and your experience.

rickshaw · 30/11/2005 09:26

Thanks everyone. Blimey it's expensive isn't it.

OP posts:
acnebride · 30/11/2005 09:28

[buttin in emoticon] nannyshare, nannyshare, nannyshare?

rickshaw · 30/11/2005 12:23

Yep, I'm looking for a nannyshare too. But I'm worried I won't find a family to share with (shortgage of other babies in Zone 1!) so I'm weighing up the cost of an exclusive nanny if it comes to that!

OP posts:
uwila · 01/12/2005 10:25

Ahem.... I think you can find a cheaper if you avoid agencies, do your own research (and be thorough!), and you are prepared to take on a year or two of experience rather than "qualifications".

You do not have to pay a nanny in net pay.
Foreign nannies sometimes work for a bit less than English ones. You might have a go on greataupair.com (but beware of au pairs who have no experience with children masquerading as nannies) or nannyjob.co.uk.

The most important factor (to me anyway) is the qualitiy of the reference, not a nanny diploma.

Blu · 01/12/2005 10:42

Try Simplychildcare - much cheaper than an agency, and there are families advertising for shares, as well as nannies looking for work.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.