My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders Club - snack question

14 replies

saltire · 25/11/2005 09:56

I just wondered what other childminders do about snacks for children who only come for a short time.
I have a 4 year old every morning 8am till we get to school. Every day she asks "can i have a biscuit please". The problem is that my two, and the toddler i mind all want one as well. I don't like my two having biscuits at that time of day, but before i know it we've got through 8 biscuits. The other proble is my older Ds, when we come in from school he is always starving, and has usually, a piece of fruit, two slices of bread and jam and a couple of biscuits. Again, the other childminding kids wnat the same. Whilst i don't mind giving them a piece of fruit, or a biscuit, i feel that they are starting to eat me out of house and home. I wondered what other childminders did. It is in my information sheet that i will provide all children with a drink and a snack if they need one, am i just being picky over the morning biscuit thing?

OP posts:
NannyL · 25/11/2005 10:04

IMO children dont NEED a biscuit at 8am (and if they do they should have had more breakfast IMO)

she probably just wants a biscuit, and TBH id probably say no its not biscuit time!

saltire · 25/11/2005 10:07

I don't feel that kids should have biscuits then either, as i said in my first post, i'm not keen on my two having one. However i have tried other snacks but she doesn't want them

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 25/11/2005 10:13

I agree she should have more breakfast if she is hungry so early. Have you asked the parents what she has for breakfast and could they bump it up. I have had a 5 yr old and he never asked for a snack as he has toast in the morning but he did bring a snack for after school and then when he found out i had biscuits he said he had forgotten his snack when he hadnt - i checked the bag and there was the snack.

What time do the others leave - could you give them a healthy snack before your ds arrives home?

I do provide snacks but not many and not at 8am when they should have had breakfast and not if it would interfere with the childrens dinners.

I think helly had a problem with mindees eating loads and i think someone suggesting saying to the parents that if a piece of fruit wasnt enough then they would have to buy a meal, i amsure someone will give you a link.

Good luck

jellyjelly · 25/11/2005 10:17

If she only wants biscuits i dont think she needs them and that she wants them.

I say along the lines of if you dont want them thats fine but you wont get anything else. They normally cry to see if you will give in but i dont then they ask for them back.

I sound mean but i do this to my son when he wants juice in a red cup but have given it in a blue one, he cries then says can i have it back after i have taken it away.

jellyjelly · 25/11/2005 10:17

If she only wants biscuits i dont think she needs them and that she wants them.

I say along the lines of if you dont want them thats fine but you wont get anything else. They normally cry to see if you will give in but i dont then they ask for them back.

I sound mean but i do this to my son when he wants juice in a red cup but have given it in a blue one, he cries then says can i have it back after i have taken it away.

saltire · 25/11/2005 10:20

I have two toddlers during the day, who leave at 4. Hoever after school i have my two and 5year old twins, and thats when the problems with my son started, i sometimes can get through 4 packets of biscuits and a multipack of crisps in four days

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 25/11/2005 10:27

That is alot of junk isnt it?

HellyBelly · 25/11/2005 11:32

Here is the link to my thread which mentioned what was eaten.

You've got to get tough as they don't half try it on!

Good luck

bonkerz · 25/11/2005 11:38

I only ever offer fruit as snack. It is my poilcy that i dont limit the amout of fruit my mindees can have. It is freely available and i have this same rule for my own DS too. Biscuits and crisps are saved as a special treat to be given as pudding if all lunch or tea has been eaten! I find that i do spend alot of money on fruit BUT id rather this than on junk etc.

Booh · 25/11/2005 13:16

I must be SSOOOOOO mean! As I don't even had biccies/crisps in the house! If I did then I would eat them!

Always, always offer fruit and we have toast and marmite/peanut butter a lot as an after school snack as my girls are always starving!

I would do what the others say, and offer friut, but it may be worth checking that she is getting breakfast..........I ahd a little boy for three months who was always hungry, and mum was supposed to have given him breakfast but never had time and never told me! Por mite was starving my 11am! (Oh I now givem him b'fast!)

Or you could try oatcakes?

saltire · 25/11/2005 13:41

I do offer fruit. The twins in the afternoon have it, as well as whatever my DS eats his way through in the cupboard. The little girl in the morning is a different matter, as she just won't take anything other than a biscuit. I don't think i've really made myself clear, as some of you think i just offer biscuits - i don't. I'd hate to think if my children were at a childminder they only got a biscuit. I get through tons of fruit, bread, crisps and biscuits a week. I think i may have a word with her parents. Mind you they aren't the brightest bulbs in the box.

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 25/11/2005 14:01

Im sure you dont just offer biscuits but i would make it very clear to the child that it is this or nothing. I do as i said with all my children and they get it or nothing and touch wood most of mine are good (apart from ds sometimes).

What does she do when she refuses? Scream and shout or sulk?

HappyMumof2 · 25/11/2005 14:05

Message withdrawn

Tan1959 · 25/11/2005 17:04

I'm another one who doesn't have biscuits or crisps in house (much to the annoyance of my two grown up sons! ) but offer fruit or organic rice cakes (only 79p pkt!)with jam, peanut butter or cheese - I have also asked parents not to provide biscuits, sugary drinks or sweets for their children while with me during the day.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.