My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

CHILDMINDER CLUB: Ideas needed

11 replies

bonkerz · 18/09/2005 20:14

Hi girls, need help and advice from you lovely ladies!

Me and 3 other childminders in my area have decided it would be a good idea to hold a Multi Cultural day for other childminders and nurseries in our area. We have managed to secure a room at our local community center for free and i have emailed our local Pre-school learning alliance to ask if any funding or help is available for us to hold this event. We are aiming for the end of October.
What i want from you are ideas of things to do. We have already thought we would have ffod from other countries available ie spring rolls, onion bahjis, poppadoms, prawn crackers etc, things that the children will try and are not too strange for them.
We also thought we could do a few activities from other cultures like maybe tie dying and lots of colouring etc.
What we are aiming for is something that we can tell OFSTED we have done to promote positive awareness of cultues from around the world.
So any ideas etc would be great.

Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
kcemum · 18/09/2005 20:35

What about dressing up, dancing or singing?

bonkerz · 18/09/2005 21:07

thanks for the reply! defo will do stuff like that! Any hints on songs to teach?

OP posts:
katymac · 18/09/2005 21:19

Pick a culture ie chinese or asian(india) or jamaica

Look into the food, dances/music and singing - get books out the library

to do too many cultures might be confusing for you and the children (I think)
These might help you choose

calandar

different one

katymac · 18/09/2005 21:19

Pick a culture ie chinese or asian(india) or jamaica

Look into the food, dances/music and singing - get books out the library

to do too many cultures might be confusing for you and the children (I think)
These might help you choose

calandar

different one

katymac · 18/09/2005 21:21

oops - sorry

karen23 · 19/09/2005 13:04

Bonkerz What area are you in?
Some Ideas
Story corner - different stories from around the world
Dressing up - could be v. expensive though
Have you thought about asking local people from different cultures to do a question and answer type thing (Depends on age range)

RTKangaMummy · 19/09/2005 13:13

What ages are you looking at doing it for?

Is it all under 5 years?

bonkerz · 19/09/2005 17:58

hi all,

age range will be 0-8 i suppose as we are intending to make it an open day for all childminders in the area. We have decided to do dressing up as we all have some bits to use and have contacted local Preschool learning alliance who have said they may be able to help with funding and resources! Story corner sounds great! Will add that to my list!

OP posts:
bonkerz · 19/09/2005 17:58

oops i am in leicestershire

OP posts:
RTKangaMummy · 19/09/2005 18:02

print off some national costume piccy for them to colour in

or patterns from diff cultures

Tan1959 · 19/09/2005 23:59

Hi Bonkerz - how about printing off some 'blank flags of the world' pictures for them to colour then stick onto lolly sticks.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.