Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders hiring assistant and branching out.

15 replies

JELLYJELLY · 31/08/2005 16:00

I am thinking about expanding my business, am alomst full and getting more enquiries by the day.

If i wish to hire an couple of assistants to work in my home when does a childiminding household become a nursery. I dont wish to be a nursery but will in the future.

Also if i buy another house which is possible and make this my childminding house and live elsewhere and as i am planning to have another baby next year and take some maternity leave. What would happen then, would we have to close or could we cary on?

Does the law get more complicated if you hire over a certain number of staff?

Where can i find more information about this, anyone recommend any books on expanding yourself but particular to our field.

Any comments apprecaited.

OP posts:

katymac · 31/08/2005 19:21

JellyJelly - cat me, I'll phone you and we can chat....there is so much info

But some of the stuff you have suggested is a def nono.....

ThePrisoner · 31/08/2005 23:10

You are lucky to be getting lots of enquiries, but would the parents want to send their children to you if you have assistants and more children present, and therefore not offer such as "individual" service?

I don't intend to expand but, out of interest, think I will ask my existing parents for their views!

JELLYJELLY · 01/09/2005 08:17

I dont know how to cat but will find out.

Can you pass the views on prisioner, will ask the parents my end i just wanted to find out a bit more before i mentioned it to them.

OP posts:

katymac · 01/09/2005 08:21

CAT = Contact Another Talker at the top of the page

There are varying ways to expend - it's very complicated

nannynick · 01/09/2005 14:57

Something to remember is that by having assistants, it may not increase your numbers and they can't usually be left alone with the children for very long periods. Co-Childminding, where someone else is also a registered childminder works with you can double your numbers, dependent on size of house and other factors. They can also be left with children as are a childminder in their own right.

When do you become a nursery... hmm not sure if there is a set figure for this, local council town planning would be one interested party, they may say once you have 10 children, maybe 12. Certainly I suspect that 12+ children would mean you are a nursery... so try contacting town planning and seeing if they can offer any advice.

Also if i buy another house which is possible and make this my childminding house and live elsewhere

I think the childminding house would become business premesis rather than residential. This is a change of use so could be problematic... again town planning may know answer to that one.

and as i am planning to have another baby next year and take some maternity leave.

You would need to have someone else do the childminding, not assistants. As you would not be responsible on a day-to-day basis. Thus the co-childminding option is more suitable than getting assistants.

You will need to look at Employment Law in some depth if you intend to have employees. It will also make Tax a bit more fun, as you will be an Employer and need to do Payroll.

There is some information in Registered Childminding - The Secrets of Success about assistants and employment implications.

JELLYJELLY · 01/09/2005 15:49

Thanks nannynick, i am at the start of thinking this through i think i might have to postpone this idea until after we have the next baby and of course call town planning.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP posts:

katymac · 01/09/2005 20:54

JellyJelly are you around now?

JELLYJELLY · 02/09/2005 08:07

Sorry, i wasnt. Will have to call you this weekend.

Speak then
thanks

OP posts:

mumtosomeone · 02/09/2005 08:26

can i have a job?!!!!!!!

Xena · 02/09/2005 08:32

Mumtosomeone are you local to London? I need another minding assistant next year!

mumtosomeone · 02/09/2005 10:49

'fraid not!!!

Mosschops30 · 02/09/2005 10:53

Message withdrawn

katymac · 02/09/2005 21:54

Sounds like me Mosschops, i can understand that some parents don't like it - but my mums do because
A) they are less lkely to need time off -cos the C/Mer can't work
B) my DH is the only male (black & disabled) role model there children will interact with
C)there are greater reassurance with regard to child protection

There are disadvantages as well (but right now I can't think of them - they will come to me later, I'm sure)

ThePrisoner · 06/09/2005 18:16

JellyJelly - have chatted to some of the parents I currently mind for about their thoughts on having a permanent assistant. The children I mind for are aged from 6 months to 10 years.

Without fail, each of them said that they wouldn't be that keen on me having a permanent assistant and having 6 children under 5 years. They have been OK with me having an occasional days or busy days during school holidays which necessitated having an assistant present (albeit one of my family who might be around anyway), but this was only ever for existing minded children, or an occasional overlap of "old" child finishing and "new" mindee starting.

Their views were that if they wanted more of a nursery-type environment, then that's what they would have chosen. I tend to mind for a very wide age-range, and I do think of us as being like one huge family!

Katymac - you obviously have a successful business which works really well (and your reasons for running it like this are sound). The parents can choose you because they know upfront how you work.

I think it would be unfair to suddenly recruit an assistant and present this to existing parents without their prior knowledge (although, ultimately, it is the childminder's choice to do whatever!)

JellyJelly - have you asked views from your parents yet? Would be interested to know what they say!

JELLYJELLY · 07/09/2005 08:39

No i havent because i wanted to find out IF it was possible and IF i wanted to go throught it and i didnt want to scare the parents by suggesting this and then chopping and changing.

I dont think i will be carrying on with this thought because my present house is too small and i want another child next year more than i want to buy another house and convert it for this purpose. So i will thinking of this and keep it on the back burner for another couple of years.

Thanks for everyones help,it was very useful.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?