Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Strep b and penicillin allergy

Georgia2609 · 13/06/2022 22:38

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you have had to have antibiotics in labour for strep b but are allergic to penicillin, I have strep b which I didn’t know about until I gave birth to my son and he got it (really think the NHS need to start testing for it), he ended up in the nicu because he wasn’t breathing when he came out and they did his infection markers and that’s when it was caught, we had to stay in the hospital for a week because he was on a 7 day course on antibiotics and I’ve been told in my next pregnancy I need antibiotics in labour and it’s usually penicillin but I’m allergic, I haven’t been told in details what that means for me so was wondering if anyone else could tell me what happened to you. What you was given, how often they gave it, if it worked, just things like that. Sorry for the long rambly post but Thank you to anyone who answers.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FMSucks · 13/06/2022 22:49

Hi OP. Yes I had strep b and both my sons were delivered early. Unknown to me I had a severe reaction (anaphylactic) to penicillin on my eldest while in labour so my consultant on my youngest just ensured I was given a different antibiotic while in labour and everything turned out fine. It was on my medical records not to be given penicillin.

I am in Ireland so not sure if that makes a difference but if you go into labour early they automatically give you an antibiotic to prevent strep b being passed on to your baby.

HTH and best of luck x

Please
or

Thedogscollar · 14/06/2022 09:42

Hi OP. You will be given Clindamycin it's an alternative abx to Penicillin. Your baby will be observed 12 hours postnatally for any signs of infection.
Reason NHS do not routinely test for GBS is that it is transient.

Please
or

AnotherNC22 · 14/06/2022 09:54

Hi @Georgia2609 - i cant help with your question re antiobiotics, but on your comment re testing, hospitals are currently being recruited for a big trial to see what different testing makes. My DD had GBS sepsis so this is also a cause close to my heart!

I wrote to my MP and she wrote to our local hospitals, one of whom has already signed up 🙌🏻 so you might also want to do the same. Info here: gbss.org.uk/gbs3/ and gbss.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-and-raise-awareness/parliamentary-activity/email-your-mp/

It doesn't help our babies that got poorly but hopefully will help lots of other babies experiencing the same.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.