Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Large baby delivery advice

BioSpud · 11/06/2022 12:30

I'm currently expecting my first conceived via IVF and throughout my growth scans have been on the 90th percentile. After having to have extra scans due to low lying placenta (which has now moved) baby is now just over the 97th percentile. I'm only 36 weeks and baby is on average 7lbs. Would anyone recommend opting for a C-section due to the size? I've already been told I'm gonna have to have another hospital scan in a week to check the size and they are likely to induce me. Are there any upsides to choosing to have a C-section for a bigger baby?

OP's posts:
Please
or

nightshade · 11/06/2022 12:37

At 36 weeks i was told my daughter was large....she wasn't really...7lb 8oz at birth...

Apparently there isn't that much difference in head sizes which is the main bit...

C sections can bring a whole other set of issues...

But at the end of the day it is yours and the medics decision.

Please
or

121gigawatts · 11/06/2022 12:47

I got told my baby was on 97th. My options were induction at 38 weeks or section at 39. My sisters first was 10lbs with a very large head and ended up a section, her second also big, and she persuaded me to go for the section as she said planned are so much easier than emergency. Baby ended up being born early and by emergency section due to other complications anyway and was big for her gestation but did have a small head but I wasn't aware until I just read PP's post that there isn't really a big difference in head sizes. I just remember my sister being told about how big nephews was! I think I would have managed naturally if DD hadn't have had to be delivered early. I'm now due second but have low laying placenta so will be section again. My recovery was fine, healed really well but I think I still would have liked to experience a natural birth. It's a tough choice.

Please
or

Loulou1712 · 12/06/2022 20:57

I was told at 37 weeks with my first that she was already 7lb, she was born 41+2 and was 7lb 15oz ... She had long legs and a big head so measured big on the scans. Coupled with my short body my bump was also huge as I just didnt have room.
My point is scans/tape measured etc aren't an accurate guide for baby size. Have a look at the naked doula on insta, she explains the baby size thing well x

Please
or

DetectiveChristineCagney · 12/06/2022 21:01

I had a 9lb 2oz-er with forceps in an emergency delivery as I had pre-eclampsia and he wasn’t in a good position for me to push. I didn’t know he was that big before he came out. My poor fanny (but I recovered super fast, I was amazed at how quickly everything went back to normal down there). I was glad I’d not had to have a section.

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/06/2022 21:03

I had several growth scans for DD, all estimating her at 90th+ percentile. She was born on due date at 47th percentile. That's not to say your scans, etc. are wrong, but they are notoriously inaccurate!

Please
or

LilyMarshall · 12/06/2022 21:04

Nobody ever mentioned the size of my baby. He was 10 days late. 10lb natural
delivery. Fast. Gas and air only.

Please
or

Lollypop701 · 12/06/2022 21:07

Both mine 8.7 pounds and very long. Was fine with natural delivery

Please
or

Verbena87 · 12/06/2022 21:08

I had very similar (ivf and 9-something percentile) but consultant said scans are always an estimate. I decided to wait for labour but ended up having to induce because I went to 42 weeks and felt the stillbirth risk made it a no-brainer at that point. He was 10lb9oz, back to back, and got stuck too late for a section so had to have emergency forceps. Was left with lasting pelvic damage.

I think if I was in the same boat again I’d definitely seriously consider an elective section, and if on researching that it didn’t sound good I’d induce earlier. On the other hand, loads of people get flagged for big babies and go on to be absolutely fine in delivery so it is a bit of a guessing game. I think what’s important is to feel fairly sure you’re making the best choice for you and your baby with the information you have, in the knowledge that nothing’s certain.

Please
or

whatabloodyjoke · 12/06/2022 21:10

My 9lb1 baby was much easier to get out that his 7lb sister. But then maybe she paved the way 😅 I'd take growth scans with a pinch of salt. They were exactly correct for me, to my surprise, but aren't for many others.

Please
or

bbqhulahoop · 12/06/2022 21:19

I had a growth scan at 37+5- baby was predicted to be 8lb 7. They recommended induction for unrelated reasons and she was born at 38+1 weighing 5lb 13oz. Growth scans aren't as accurate as they'd have you believe!

Please
or

Somewhereinfragglerock · 12/06/2022 21:23

Growth scans aren't particularly accurate. If you are otherwise considered low risk you will be encouraged to aim for a normal delivery. You'd be better off discussing birth options with your midwife and or obstetrician rather than mumsnet you know.

Please
or

nancynipper · 12/06/2022 21:27

9.1lb & 8.4lb baby. Both "big(ish)" babies, quick, natural births.

No mention of any worries with 9.1lb & labour. Had a midwife joking at one of final appointments saying she couldn't wait to hear how big baby ended up being, bump was massive & she reckoned she would be a whopper ...😆

Friend had a 10lb baby natural too.

Please
or

nancynipper · 12/06/2022 21:31

Also, as pp have said, growth scans were way off with mine for weight too.

Please
or

ohidoliketobe · 12/06/2022 21:39

Lots of people will (and have on this thread) tell you that growth scans are inaccurate. I had growth scans for various reasons for my 3 and they were all absolutely spot on predicted birth weight (within oz or two). They werent larhe babies so I cant help personally with your conundrum. I just to gifhlight that for some people theu are accurate. And they must be for a lot of people otherwise they wouldn't bother with them!

Two of my cousins had growth scans for suspected large babies. Again spot on with predicted weights, one had an induction at 39 weeks and he was 9lb, the other didn't want induction, went into spontaneous labour at just over 40 weeks. Had to have c-sec due to slow progress and her chunky baby was 10lb.

Please
or

ohidoliketobe · 12/06/2022 21:40

• I just wanted to highlight
Please
or

dizzydizzydizzy · 12/06/2022 21:46

I had two whoppers DC1 was 9lb 2oz and DC2 was 9lb 11oz. DC2 had to go in SCBU and was almost too big for the incubator and had to go straight into some big nappy size.

Both born vaginally. DC1 took about 5 or 6 hours and DC2 4 hours.

I am tall so probably have a wider pelvis than the average woman...... but still I don't see why you necessarily need a C section. Discuss it with your midwife.

Please
or

MayMi · 12/06/2022 21:47

They thought my baby was 8lb 2oz on my final scan, but when she came out she was 7lb 4oz! They consistently thought she was measuring big as well, not sure why as her head size and body length turned out to be perfectly average too. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yours might be big but they might not, I know now is a apprehensive time for a lot of reasons but try to not worry about the size ❤️ your healthcare team will look after you and your baby. If they think a planned caesarean would be better for you then they'll say so. Talk to them about your concerns, they'll guide you through it. Good luck ❤️

Please
or

sjxoxo · 12/06/2022 21:47

Haven’t read all the replies but I had very regular growth scans and was told baby 97th percentile. Induction was booked a week before due date to get him out before he was fattened up.. well he had other plans- came two weeks before due date, still quite big but not enormous. Still he couldn’t get through my pelvis so had emergency C sec. It was a code green so not dire emergency but god I was relieved. C section was bloody brilliant and I’d absolutely have another one.

i feel like I’ve had the best outcome possible; I went into labour naturally and experienced waters breaking and contractions etc; but now if I have no.2 then it will be a planned section so none of that horrible stress leading up to the birth. I had a fab recovery, first few days not comfortable but I had own room and bathroom in maternity unit and stayed in for 5 days with DH and baby.

if I could go back and talk to pregnant me; to sum up I’d say: the fear did happen - he was big and he did get stuck! But he came out eventually and the C sec was ten million times better than what I thought it would be! Xxxx

Please
or

Lindisfarne1 · 12/06/2022 21:48

Mine were 9lb 11 and 10lb I had them normally no drugs just gas and air it was bearable. They were both early one 2 weeks the other 1

Please
or

Spyke · 12/06/2022 21:51

I was induced on my due date because of a large baby, I birthed him vaginally at 10lb 2oz. Forceps and an episiotomy. I recovered well but as you can imagine things aren’t quite the same down there. I think that’s always going to be the case with a first baby though regardless of size. Obviously a c-section is no walk in the park either so it’s a serious decision and I would ask the doctors questions like what do the nice guidelines advise, what would you do in my shoes, what are the main concerns with either course of action. And take some time to make sure you’re totally happy with the decision.

Please
or

Spyke · 12/06/2022 21:52

I was induced on my due date because of a large baby, I birthed him vaginally at 10lb 2oz. Forceps and an episiotomy. I recovered well but as you can imagine things aren’t quite the same down there. I think that’s always going to be the case with a first baby though regardless of size. Obviously a c-section is no walk in the park either so it’s a serious decision and I would ask the doctors questions like what do the nice guidelines advise, what would you do in my shoes, what are the main concerns with either course of action. And take some time to make sure you’re totally happy with the decision.

Please
or

Polpetto · 12/06/2022 23:24

2 big babies here - 8lb 13 and 9lb - both born vaginally, very quickly, with just gas and air. So glad I didn’t opt for a section as they were really pushing it with my second, even though I’d already had a big baby first time.

Please
or

MrsBungle · 12/06/2022 23:30

My dc2 was 8.5 which I know isn’t massive but he came out very easily in 3 pushes. My dc1 was 7.5 and was a bloody nightmare to get out!

Please
or

scrivette · 12/06/2022 23:32

I was told my babies would be very large, 7lb 4, 9lb 6 (he was big but the easiest birth) and 8lb 4.

The day before I went into Labour with DC3 I was told she would be well over 9lb but she wasn't.

Please
or

sunshine271 · 12/06/2022 23:37

My LB was 9lbs 2oz and was 2 weeks early.. they had the chat with me about inductions, episiotomy, shoulder dystocia etc

I declined an induction, baby came naturally and although I had a long labour, pushing for just under 3 hours, I got away with a very minor tear and baby was perfect

No one can decide what's best for you but you however. So do your research and see what you think

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.