Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

One week away from C section and 13th the old has chicken pox

Loulou377 · 09/06/2022 11:54

Hi, I really didn’t know where to post this so sorry it’s probably not in the correct category. Im looking to see if anyone else has had experience of chicken pox in late pregnancy as my doctor I feel has given me Wishy washy advice and I’m concerned - maybe I should ask to speak to another doctor….

my 13 month old toddler has had spots arrive on his back this morning, they have been confirmed as chicken pox. He’s well in himself at the moment so fingers crossed he doesn’t get it badly. My concern is I’m 38 weeks pregnant and booked in for an elective c section in one weeks time. I had chicken pox as a child so don’t expect to catch it (although I’ve not been offered an anti body test to check for sure). My biggest concern is exposing the newborn to it. Has anyone else been in this position? Any advice welcome! Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThatPosterIsSoRight · 09/06/2022 12:04

Speak to your midwife but I’d think you’ll be ok. You’re highly unlikely to get it if you already had it. And you 13 month old may well not be contagious in 9 days time (a week plus a day or two in hospital).

Who is looking after your child while you are in hospital, and could they hold onto him/ her for another couple of days just in case?

Sounds stressful, good luck.

Please
or

Loulou377 · 09/06/2022 12:07

Thank you for your reply. You’re right worst case scenario my mum and partner could look after my toddler for an extra few days if needed although I’d miss him terribly! Not the best timing but these things can’t be helped. Just hope he doesn’t get it too badly :(

OP's posts:
Please
or

fudgecat · 09/06/2022 12:09

DC 3 had the pox when I went in for the section for DC4, I was under consultant care for other reasons but they weren't worried in the slightest as I had had it as a child and also DC3 was already starting to scab over

Please
or

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 09/06/2022 12:17

We had this when ds3 was born - except that we didn't know that ds1 was brewing chickenpox when I went into labour with ds3. Ds1 and ds2 went off to stay with friends while I had ds3, and when they came back, ds1 had a scab on his ribs. I thought nothing of it, until the spots started popping up, by which time it was too late, and ds2 and ds3 had both been exposed to it (as had the friends who had looked after them - an excellent way to thank them for looking after the boys Blush).

First ds2 and then ds3 went down with it - ds3 was about a month old when he got it, poor thing. He wasn't really ill with it - just hot, spotty and miserable - so even if your baby does get it, @Loulou377, it needn't be the end of the world. I was breastfeeding ds3, and I assume that this, plus any antibodies he got from me, helped to make it a mild case of chickenpox.

Please
or

wineymummy · 09/06/2022 12:18

I believe, though might be wrong, that if you are immune, then your baby also has some immunity for the first few months.

Please
or

ThatPosterIsSoRight · 09/06/2022 12:51

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 09/06/2022 12:17

We had this when ds3 was born - except that we didn't know that ds1 was brewing chickenpox when I went into labour with ds3. Ds1 and ds2 went off to stay with friends while I had ds3, and when they came back, ds1 had a scab on his ribs. I thought nothing of it, until the spots started popping up, by which time it was too late, and ds2 and ds3 had both been exposed to it (as had the friends who had looked after them - an excellent way to thank them for looking after the boys Blush).

First ds2 and then ds3 went down with it - ds3 was about a month old when he got it, poor thing. He wasn't really ill with it - just hot, spotty and miserable - so even if your baby does get it, @Loulou377, it needn't be the end of the world. I was breastfeeding ds3, and I assume that this, plus any antibodies he got from me, helped to make it a mild case of chickenpox.

Watch out that DS3 could get it again, my sibling had it at 4 months (mildly) then again at about 4 years (also mildly), and we were told that was quite common when they’d had it so young. I suppose some of their immunity was ‘borrowed’ first time round.

Please
or

usernotfound0000 · 09/06/2022 12:53

Check with midwife but yes, baby should have your immunity. DD caught it when DD2 was 6 weeks old and we didn't really keep her away and she didn't catch it.

Please
or

SunshineAndFizz · 09/06/2022 13:16

According to the NHS website, once scabs have formed its not contagious anymore, which is approximately 5 days after the spots appear.

Please
or

whosaidtha · 09/06/2022 13:28

My little boy had this two days after I gave birth. Midwife said that the baby has immunity from the mum for a few months. And even better immunity if breastfeeding.

Please
or

Loulou377 · 09/06/2022 15:04

Thanks for all your replies - mind at ease!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.