Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Skin to skin after a c section

kylierose15 · 29/05/2022 19:59

Baby is due soon and due to him being breech I'm having a c section.
Am I able to do skin to skin straight away?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 29/05/2022 20:00

Yes absolutely. I did, then they did agpar thing and put dd back without cleaning etc.

Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 29/05/2022 20:01

And actually it was lovely because you don’t have to deliver placenta-it’s all done for you! 😁

Please
or

Porridgeislife · 29/05/2022 20:01

I’ve been assured that skin to skin is possible. You can also ask for delayed cord clamping - they’ll put the placenta in a bowl by your head.

Please
or

FoxtrotSkarloey · 29/05/2022 20:02

Yes, the whip them away briefly to do the checks and weight and clamp the cord and then pop them onto your chest while you get stitched up.

Please
or

wonkylegs · 29/05/2022 20:03

Yes, it was lovely with both of mine they lifted them over the barrier onto my chest. Well lovely except when ds2 wee'd on my head as they were passing him 😂 he thinks that's the best bit about the story of him being born.

Please
or

Tothepoint99 · 29/05/2022 20:04

Haggisfish3 · 29/05/2022 20:00

Yes absolutely. I did, then they did agpar thing and put dd back without cleaning etc.

Did you have to specify no cleaning? I had a section and ds was cleaned up, wrapped up and had a hat put on.

Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 29/05/2022 21:57

I did, yes.

Please
or

NamechangeFML · 29/05/2022 22:00

I had a section and they pulled him out, checked him over, DH cut cord. Hes was lying back on me in a less few minutes it feels like! And baby stays there until you move them

Please
or

iknowthismuchis · 29/05/2022 22:11

If you don't want him cleaning tell them, DS was cleaned and put in a hat as soon as he came out. I didn't mind (and didn't bother about immediate skin to skin, he went in his dads arms, we did skin to skin later)

Please
or

RandomQuest · 29/05/2022 22:16

They offered it to me, I declined in favour of a clean baby, but as long as all goes well and you make your wishes known then it definitely should be possible!

Please
or

bloodyunicorns · 29/05/2022 22:43

It is possible, but I felt so shit (low BP, shivery) that I didn't feel contactable holding dd until we were in the recovery room, when she crawled up me and latched on to bf.

Please
or

Dyra · 30/05/2022 11:53

Usually yes. Especially in electives. I had an emergency, and skin to skin wasn't even offered. He went straight from me (after delayed cord clamping) to be checked over, then came back all wrapped up and given to DH. TBF I didn't ask, and probably looked like I couldn't even hold a baby. It was ok though. We had skin to skin once I was transferred to my ward bed, and got lots in once I was in recovery. Our bond is just fine, and breastfeeding established really well once his jaundice cleared up.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.