Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Skin to skin after a c section

kylierose15 · 29/05/2022 19:50

Baby's die very soon and I'm having a c section due to him being breech.
Am I able to do skin to skin straight away?
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

starpatch · 29/05/2022 19:58

Hi in my experience it depends on the midwife and if they know how to position the baby safely. I was told pre elective yes I could have skin to skin but when the time came the very young midwife just said no.

Please
or

Pawtucketbrew · 29/05/2022 20:03

I was unable to have skin to skin due to last minute needing forceps which meant topping up my drugs so couldn't hold DD. They put her in a see through cot next to me. I was able to hold her as soon as I felt better and bf etc. The nurses then whisked her off during the night to let me sleep and recover a bit. I'm saying that just in case it doesn't turn out exactly how you planned that it was completely OK. DD bf for the next three years so didn't effect latch and she is the cuddliest 9 year old. Sorry if my post isn't helpful. I guess I'm saying go in with an open mind in case things aren't exactly how you planned it x

Please
or

ny20005 · 29/05/2022 20:05

I didn't till I got to recovery. I had bp monitor on one arm & canula in the other so wouldn't have been able to hold them

Please
or

Clevs · 29/05/2022 20:15

The first time I handled my baby he was wrapped in a blanket with a hat on. They lay him next to my face so our cheeks were touching but there was no proper skin to skin. I wish I'd insisted on it but I was so exhausted after a failed induction and I could barely stay awake whilst they stitched me up.

Please
or

Dinosauratemydaffodils · 29/05/2022 20:21

My second emergency section she was on my chest within 4 minutes (delayed cord clamping as well). After the cord was cut, they put her on me and then covered us both with a blanket. Measurements etc were done in recovery a few hours later.

Please
or

Travellingraspberry · 29/05/2022 20:26

With my planned c section I was able to have skin to skin fairly soon after dd was born. She was checked over and cleaned up a little and then put on me for skin to skin.
Think I still had her with me when we were wheeled through to recovery and then dh put her nappy on and got her dressed.

Please
or

Forpoxsake · 29/05/2022 20:40

DH had the skin to skin first on my Emcs, and then baby was placed on me shortly after.
elective section baby was placed on me after cord clamped and weighed

Please
or

maryberryslayers · 30/05/2022 14:50

I made it very clear that it was a priority for me along with delayed cord clamping.
They need to put the monitors on your back not your chest and the pulse monitor on the same hand as everything else so you have one free.
They will check baby over first but then they can come to you as long as all is well. DD lay on me while I was stitched up with DH supporting her.

Please
or

PraiseBee · 30/05/2022 15:12

I had an elective CS and had loads of skin to skin. Baby was delivered by consultant, handed straight to midwife who checked him over and then she put him on me. It was very quick. I said that I couldn't have him on me as I couldn't move but she insisted and positioned him perfectly and it was lovely. He stayed with me from then onwards. Into recovery, with him mewing and confusing the other patients in recovery.

Please
or

ancientgran · 30/05/2022 15:22

I had a GA for EMCS as no time to set up an epidural so I was unable to have skin to skin but as I regained consciousness I was aware of DH removing clothing and trying to get baby to latch on. For a first time dad he didn't do badly. He'd already helped bath and dress her and had been sitting singing to her.

Please
or

FluffMagnet · 30/05/2022 15:23

Have a chat with the anaesthetist team and the midwives as you go into theatre so they can prep your gown in advance to have one arm out. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of having them on my neck/high chest, so had quick cuddle before DH took over. But each time baby was then shoved down my top once I'd been shunted onto the new bed to be wheeled to recovery, and we had skin to skin for hours afterwards. I also asked them to do the newborn checks immediately after birth, so once I had them, no-one was hovering to take them off me later in the day.

Please
or

littledinokitty · 30/05/2022 15:24

I've had two EMCS. Had delayed cord clamping with both then skin to skin while I was being stitched up.

Please
or

StillUp · 30/05/2022 15:32

I had a few minutes of skin to skin minutes after both of my DC were born, and then much longer and their first feed in recovery once I’d been stitched up. That was with a EMCS and ELCS.

Please
or

ringoutthebells · 30/05/2022 18:45

Dinosauratemydaffodils · 29/05/2022 20:21

My second emergency section she was on my chest within 4 minutes (delayed cord clamping as well). After the cord was cut, they put her on me and then covered us both with a blanket. Measurements etc were done in recovery a few hours later.

Same. Dh was literally right there too so no fear of not being able to hold, but didn't worry about this in any case, felt all v safe. All encouraged by staff.

Please
or

NerrSnerr · 30/05/2022 18:53

With my eldest I felt too unwell and wasn't able to hold her. They did offer. My youngest was cleaned, weighed and plonked on me no problem.

Please
or

MagratsDanglyCharms21 · 30/05/2022 19:09

Planned C-section and able to have skin-to-skin almost immediately. Mind you, the surgeon was bloody quick to zip me up!

Please
or

ouch12345 · 30/05/2022 19:13

I had skin to skin straight away after both c sections.

Please
or

MissChanandlerBong80 · 30/05/2022 20:49

Yes. I had delayed cord clamping, which took a couple of minutes, then baby had some brief checks, then they gave him to me for skin to skin while they stitched me up. It was a slightly awkward angle but lovely.

Please
or

nildesparandum · 30/05/2022 21:03

Had my two both by EMCS back in the days when all sections were done under GA. No husbands or partners in theatre either so skin to skin was unheard of.
Got my babies at two days old, all clean, dressed and tidy.
I was born too early.
They are grown up now and one of them is a grandparent, so no harm done.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.