Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

What is an epidural like?

Dfghy678 · 16/05/2022 20:55

Can I hear your experiences on pain relief? Those who have multiple children how do your experiences compare?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thejoyfulstar · 16/05/2022 21:12

Like an oasis in the desert.

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 16/05/2022 21:14

Like blessed relief after hours of pain.

Please
or

theculture · 16/05/2022 21:16

Excellent! And the main focus of my Facebook announcement that might have also mentioned the birth of my child Wink

Please
or

husbandcallsmepickle · 16/05/2022 21:16

Epidural was awesome. Hadn't planned one but really pleased I had one after all

Please
or

DSawyer · 16/05/2022 21:17

I have only had one child but had an epidural. It wasn’t on my birth plan but was recommended to me by the midwives and I’m glad I had it. I could still feel the surges of contractions and the pressure of the head moving through the birth canal but no pain. You have a little release button / valve to control how much you have. I wanted to feel a bit as I had to do coached pushing. One thing I wasn’t aware of before having it is that it lasts longer than I thought. I thought it would wear off quickly but I still had a numb patch above my bum / bottom of my back for a few weeks that slowly went. Had to crawl upstairs for the first few days after birth and didn’t carry the baby up or down stairs. I would get one again for second baby.

Please
or

Themidnightpig · 16/05/2022 21:19

Mine felt like heaven after hours of agony. I'd planned a natural water birth but ended up needing to be induced so went for the epidural too and I'm so glad I did. HOWEVER it made pushing harder as I couldn't tell when I needed to push so the midwife had to tell me!

Please
or

Pinkchicken85 · 16/05/2022 21:21

Had it for my first after a very very long labour. It dissociated me from the horrendous pain but sadly also from the euphoria after.

Please
or

kmbegs · 16/05/2022 21:22

Mine didn't work 😭. If that happens though apparently they can redo it - I wish I had known to ask for that!

Please
or

pensionconfusion · 16/05/2022 21:23

Well worth it. Pain free and able to relax before the birth.

I had controlled pushing and could still feel the pressure if the contractions but no pain at all.

I think after the birth I was on my feet a couple of hours later.

Please
or

KatharinaRosalie · 16/05/2022 21:24

amazing. Went from sweating panting barely coherent mess to happily reading my book and admiring the contractions on the screen only.

Please
or

DeirdreRashid · 16/05/2022 21:26

Lovely, 10/10, would recommend

Please
or

JustBkind · 16/05/2022 21:27

Hated it. Yes it took away the initial contraction pain but the way the midwives had me laid on the bed, laying on one leg more than the other, left me with great pain when it started to wear off and I was very, very sick with the severity of it! It was their suggestion to have one also, as I didn’t want to. I also believe it has left me with long term back pain.
I had my second child with no pain relief at all and it was an amazing experience…I was in total control and felt the urge to push etc. and could have done that birth ten times over (in theory)!
Do what is right for you at the time. This is just my experience. Good luck! 💕

Please
or

1940s · 16/05/2022 21:27

Mine numbed me so much that I didn't know if I was pushing or not. I couldn't feel a thing and kept being told to push but I didn't have the sensation as to if I was pushing at all. I kept asking midwife if I had done a poo because then at least I knew I was pushing...

Please
or

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet · 16/05/2022 21:28

Bliss!

Please
or

littledinokitty · 16/05/2022 21:29

Like magic. I don't know why I struggled without one for so long.

Please
or

Bluebellsand · 16/05/2022 21:30

It lowered my blood pressure, but a doctor came and fixed it swiftly.

It took away the pain, on first attempt.

Unfortunately, my body didn't want to dilate so I had an emergency c-section.

Please
or

ClearButtons · 16/05/2022 21:31

Absolutely amazing. I can't understand why not everyone wants one 😅

Please
or

artisanbread · 16/05/2022 21:35

After a full labour, DD got stuck and they decided on EMCS. I hadn't had anything but gas and air until that point but they gave me an epidural for surgery. For me, it was amazing and completely took all the pain away.

DC2 was a VBAC. I decided against epidural as I wanted to remain mobile as DC1 was a big baby and I thought it would help. Turns out the only position I was able to push properly in was flat on my back. Then I needed stitches in theatre after she was born so ended up with an epidural anyway. Really wish I'd just had it to start with!

Please
or

Hugasauras · 16/05/2022 21:37

Heavenly.

Please
or

KatharinaRosalie · 16/05/2022 21:39

Oh and mine was a mobile one so I was walking around without any issues. Just without any pain.

Please
or

RoseslnTheHospital · 16/05/2022 21:39

Mine was a release from absolutely non stop contracts caused by a very high level of syntocinon drip due to my induction not progressing. But it initially only went down one leg/side, and then when fixed it felt very disassociative and disconcerting. But at least I could rest a bit, as I'd been unable to lie down without it and had been standing/leaning for many hours. I couldn't connect at all with what was happening contraction wise, it was very odd. But, when it became apparent that an EMCS was needed fairly rapidly it did make that easier to transition to as I was already numb.

Please
or

abbs1 · 16/05/2022 21:41

I had one with my first recommended by Dr and midwife due to hyperstimulation from induction so took it even though I didnt want one and thought it hadnt worked very well as I could still feel every contraction and was really painful. Little did I know it must have worked as with my 2nd baby I only had gas and air that did nothing and the pain was horrendous for me but I had a very quick birth. 5-10cm and baby born all in 20mins after my water were broke after 13hrs of labour via induction.
I would definitely recommend having one to take the edge off at least.

Please
or

Ilovepotato · 16/05/2022 22:03

My first child was induced by pessary. Took 3 of them and had an epidural and all the pain relief you could throw at me in advance of it, there was severe pain before the induction but I could grit and bear it. No screaming. Ended up with ventouse assisted delivery and episiotomy.

My second child was induced by balloon induction and one round of gel. They broke my waters and gave me hormone drip and the contractions ramped up so fast there was no time for pain relief. I begged for epidural! I ended up with uterine hyper stimulation, so baby came out in a flash. It was excruciating pain, honestly horrific, I screamed the building down.

The actual bit where the baby comes out... the actual pushing and the immediate afterwards part... despite feeling like I was dying, was completely better without the epidural. As other remarked, with epidural I couldn't tell I was having contractions, so couldn't push, and the Labour was so long the baby ended up in distress and got pulled out of me. Lots of drama. No skin on skin, baby went away to be treated medically. I needed a catheter and couldn't walk afterwards, longer recovery etc stayed in hospital for 5 days. Without epidural, I was able to push, which felt really awesome, my baby got put on me immediately after delivery, I was able to relax, have a bath, walk back to the ward, was home the same day.

In the moment, I would have absolutely taken an epidural the second time, as I said, I was begging for it, but it was physically too late. But retrospectively actually having felt the feeling of having given birth was so amazing that I'm glad I went through it.

Every birth and women different though... hopefully you are able to read everyone's experiences and decide on what will work best for you!

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 16/05/2022 22:06

Awesome, loved mine

Please
or

Peanutbutterpancakes · 16/05/2022 22:08

Unbelievable!! I was in so much pain, couldn't think clearly, didn't have a clue what was going on around me, and soon as it started kicking in, omg, amazing relief, I could actually enjoy the rest of my labour chat to the midwives and my husband. I was more aware of what was happening, it was all such a blur before the epidural. Don't get me wrong, I had no idea when to push (the midwives keep you right) couldn't feel a thing, but that genuinely didn't bother me at all, the only thing that was a bit annoying was the catheter (although some of the drugs made me so thirsty during labour, think I asked my husband to fill my massive water bottle about 7 times, it was great not having to jump to the loo every 10 mins after little one arrived 😂), but I had no problem peeing after it was removed, some people find it really stingy. I'd do it again for sure.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.