Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Breech baby at 37 weeks

flowerpot258 · 16/05/2022 20:49

Got a scan today. Baby is breech. They offered me either an ECV, a breech vaginal birth or an elective c section.

Me and my husband read up on all options and decided to go with the ECS. I'm a bit nervous but feel we've made the right decision.

The consultant on the other hand just went through everything negative about a c section and it's got me worried.

Anyone else have c section due to breech baby. How was it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

flowerpot258 · 16/05/2022 22:05

Anyone?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RebeccaCloud9 · 16/05/2022 22:16

They have to inform you of all the negatives so you can be properly informed. I have had one emergency and one planned section. 3rd section in September!

The planned was honestly great. Quick recovery and well, it hasn't put me off a 3rd!

(My planned c section baby was breach but they didn't know until the op had started!)

Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 09:46

@RebeccaCloud9 - thanks for the reply. Sounds like yours went well. I know several people who've had sections and theirs were all fine, I don't know anyone who's had a breech birth so I'm just not sure why the consultants are so keen to recommend the breech delivery when c sections are much more common and probably safer

OP's posts:
Please
or

RoseValleyRambles · 17/05/2022 09:51

We're breech and having an elective, for a few other reasons too. Risks are there, but are still quite small, and emergency c sections are where they're most likely to occur. I'd sunshine talked you through the risks of a vaginal delivery they're probably pretty scary too.

Search Mumsnet for elective c threads - lots of great stories and positive experiences there to reassure you :)

Please
or

Skinnermarink · 17/05/2022 09:51

I had one too for the very same reason. Very smooth, great recovery, even got to play my Spotify indie disco playlist during the op 🤣

honestly it was really relaxed. No regrets. Was out and home the following afternoon, able to take a short walk in the park the day after that.

Please
or

HSKAT · 17/05/2022 09:53

My friends baby was breech, she also opted for section.
They have to go through the risks. And from what she said her docs were more towards a section for a breech baby.
Planned sections are a lot calmer and people are always positive about them.
Good luck!

Please
or

Tangfastic91 · 17/05/2022 09:54

They'll be keen on natural delivery for a multitude of reasons.. 1) it's cheaper, 2) less staff needed, 3) helps their c section rates look better. I just can't see how it is less risky for mum, and unfortunately research tends to lump in emergency csections with electives when reporting on the risks. Go with your gut (no pun intended) 😀

Please
or

RebeccaCloud9 · 17/05/2022 09:55

One thing I hadn't realised was that breech sections can take a bit longer than non breech. The head holds on tight inside, suctions in and they really had to pull him out! My son had lowish apgar scores when born, but this quickly righted and he was absolutely fine. The op just took a little longer than they were expecting.

Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 17:02

@RoseValleyRambles thanks I will have a look for some stories on here

OP's posts:
Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 17:04

@Skinnermarink - that's awesome lol a personal playlist! Do you know if you have to remove nail polish / acrylic nails? I have acrylics at the moment and not sure if they'll need taken off before the op

OP's posts:
Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 17:06

@Tangfastic91 - those are good points actually. I often feel they do try and put you off due to the cost but sections happen all the time! It's probably more rare for a breech birth. Plus I've read horror stories about breech delivery of baby dying or being starved of oxygen and ending up with brain damage / disabled. Scared the life out of me!

OP's posts:
Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 17:07

@RebeccaCloud9 - thanks/ that's good to know. I'm hoping all goes smooth on the day. Still waiting on my date but they said peobably in 2 weeks time

OP's posts:
Please
or

Littlemissprosecco · 17/05/2022 17:15

I had three breech babies! Tried to turn the first two, they weren’t budging, then needed to stay in for observation overnight both times. Left feeling quite bruised and battered from ECV. Ended up with three planned sections, with no problems at all

Please
or

Passmealargewine · 17/05/2022 17:18

I had an ECV at 37 weeks due to my baby being breech ( it didn't work to turn the baby & I found it really painful) my hospital were all for an elective, they didn't really want to give the option of trying for natural birth.
My waters actually broke 3 days after the ECV & I had a c section, although it was technically classed as an emergency c-sec it was actually a really calm & positive experience. It all felt relatively relaxed & the theatre staff were great at talking me through it & explaining what was happening

Please
or

MarceyMc · 17/05/2022 17:35

I had an elective CS due to breech presentation. My thoughts were - ECV potentially very uncomfortable and not always successful/baby turns back and vaginal breech delivery likely to end up in emergency CS anyway if any complications.

It was so straightforward and the recovery was absolutely fine!

Please
or

Skinnermarink · 17/05/2022 18:48

flowerpot258

@Skinnermarink - that's awesome lol a personal playlist! Do you know if you have to remove nail polish / acrylic nails? I have acrylics at the moment and not sure if they'll need taken off before the op

I had my toes painted and no one asked me to remove, (good as I had a pedicure specially😂) and they just put some tape round my rings.

Please
or

Skinnermarink · 17/05/2022 18:52

Hmm don’t know about acrylics though.

Just be prepared that you might be waiting a while on the day- I was all excited when I went in at 9am but I didn’t get a slot until after 3- they’d had to bump me down the list because of EMCS coming in.
id been fasting since 9pm the night before! Ravenous is not the word. DH had to go and buy a cheese toastie in costa for me after as they didn’t bring me the fabled toast.

I could have water though.

Please
or

schmalex · 17/05/2022 18:53

I had one with a breech baby and it was absolutely fine. Safest option imo.
Planned c-sections are quite relaxed. My recovery was fine and I breastfed fine too.
I'd definitely go for it if it's an option!

Please
or

csectionmummas · 17/05/2022 19:03

Hi @flowerpot258 haven’t read replies so apologies if I’m repeating myself. Is this your first birth? If so I think the hospital were right to challenge your decision for a ECS but shouldn’t push you if your mind is made up! It’s major surgery, and if your “young” and it’s your first abs vaginal birth is always preferred. Having said that I think you’re making the right decision. ECS are much easier to recover from, and ESV are extremely uncomfortable , can be dangerous for the baby and may not work! I would have a C-section, but understand why they challenged you

Please
or

Petcarb · 17/05/2022 21:47

I've had ECS for breech baby. They didn't even really present vaginal birth as an option, it was mentioned but on the basis of there would need to be an experienced midwife available which they couldn't guarantee so unless I was really keen, they wouldn't reccomended pursuing. It was fine, no one mentioned additional risks for her being in that position. We did have to have a hip scan I think about month after birth as can affect their hips having been on that position and some babies can end up temporarily having to be in a cast I think. But it was just a precaution. I did try ECV as felt like I ought, it was fine for me not painful but know that not others experience, but I think I was also 37 weeks and first baby chance of success isn't that high. She wasn't budging! Good luck with it all

Please
or

flowerpot258 · 17/05/2022 21:52

@csectionmummas - this is my second baby. First was 2 weeks overdue, has to be induced and have forceps as baby was a bit stubborn and just wasn't for coming out!

If I had a choice I would opt for vaginal water birth with gas and air but it's just not worked out that way. Another stubborn baby who isn't willing to move and has lay in the same position for the majority of the pregnancy. They said if baby has moved round at the time of the section then it'll be cancelled and I'll be left to go naturally which I'm okay with

OP's posts:
Please
or

barneymcgroo · 17/05/2022 21:57

I had an Elcs for breech baby. Found out quite late, so ECV carried out quite late too. They didn't really try, to be honest - the consultant said DS was STUCK - confirmed by the surgeon who did the section!

I didn't find ECV uncomfortable or painful.

ELCS was fine. Have since had VBAC and massively preferred, but in similar circumstances, would do again.

There are umpteen threads on here about what to do to plan for a section - lots of v useful info.

Good luck with the baby! X

Please
or

AnotherCF · 23/05/2022 03:14

My 2nd baby was breech at 37 weeks. Opted for ecv. Hardly felt a thing and turned first attempt. No complications at birth.

I did a lot of research in case the ecv didn't work. My NHS hospital offered v breech birth and I would have chose that.

My understanding is where a mum has had a v birth before, the hospital have the skills to delivery v breech, and theres no high risk reason a baby is breech the risks of c section and v birth to breech babies are similar. Outcomes for mum are statistically worse via c section than v birth but that's true breech or not.

Everyone has different ways of thinking about risk. Do whatever you are comfortable with. Good luck!

Please
or

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 23/05/2022 03:26

this is my second baby. First was 2 weeks overdue, has to be induced and have forceps as baby was a bit stubborn and just wasn't for coming out

Snap! Well almost, I was 11 days over and didn't need to be induced, but the rest is the same!

My second baby was breech, tried an ecv at 37+5, didn't work, and was booked in for an ELSC fircsgen i was 40+1. My waters broke at home at 38+4, so it was turned an emergency section instead, but it was totally fine.

And I say that as someone who was dreading a section. It really wasn't as bad as I'd thought, Best of luck!

Please
or

Thirdsummerofourdiscontent · 23/05/2022 04:18

I had a C-section with second baby after having a preterm breech for my first. Definitely happy with my decision. The CS wasn’t that bad tbh a lot less stress for both me and baby.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.