Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Best position to give birth in?

Fieldstorm12 · 16/05/2022 12:58

Due my 2nd in a matter is weeks and I really don't want to give birth lying on my back if I don't need to!

1st time I was desperate for a water birth but it never happened, I was in the water for a bit but then had to get out and I laboured on my back for the rest and gave birth on my back .

I would love to try for a water birth again , but failing that I'd like a position that is not on my back if possible, any suggestions please? I don't plan on having an epidural (didn't 1st time) but I'm aware this may change but hopefully I don't need one and I will be free to try different positions !

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

drinkwithanumbrellainit · 16/05/2022 12:59

Mostly laboured upright with my second then on a birthing chair to push. First on my back like you.

Please
or

Fieldstorm12 · 16/05/2022 13:01

@drinkwithanumbrellainit I may be sounding stupid but what is a Birthing chair ? Don't think I've ever heard of this

OP's posts:
Please
or

elliejjtiny · 16/05/2022 13:03

bed with the head raised to upright position and I was kneeling while resting my head/arms on the back of the bed.

Please
or

drinkwithanumbrellainit · 27/05/2022 20:15

Sorry just saw this. Sort of a stool with a hole through the middle. So sat leaning forward with arms braced on legs whilst I pushed, aiming baby through the gap for midwife to catch.

Please
or

HorribleHerstory · 27/05/2022 20:24

I’ve only ever given birth standing up. My body really doesn’t understand the logistics of doing that sitting down and I’ve never laid down in any labour not even for a moment.

Please
or

halfsiesonapotnoodle · 27/05/2022 20:25

elliejjtiny

bed with the head raised to upright position and I was kneeling while resting my head/arms on the back of the bed.

Yes, I second this. Really good position. You're upright but able to sink forwards to rest into the bed head between contractions.

Please
or

calliopea · 29/05/2022 15:47

All fours, standing up, on your side using a peanut ball, leaning over a birth ball, sitting on the loo, squatting - literally any way you like!

I had a water birth at home and spent most of my labour floating on my back and then pushing stage leaning over the side on my knees.

Please
or

BundtCake · 29/05/2022 15:49

Anything upright.

Please
or

Ticksallboxes · 29/05/2022 15:50

I was kneeling upright on the bed with my second - it was a dream birth.

Please
or

Dinotour · 29/05/2022 15:52

Go with your body and see what feels right at the time. It's worth asking the midwifes about the beds though as many now on labour wards and in birthing centres can be moved into all sorts of positions! I had to be monitored so had to stay on the bed but it could be moved into all sorts of comfortable contortions. I was almost kneeling in the end but upper body resting on the bed.

Please
or

BoneWithTheWind · 29/05/2022 16:04

I gave birth laying down with my first 2 babies, and with the third I was absolutely hell bent on doing it on all fours as I've read so much about gravity helping you/ pulling the baby down due to the pelvis being J-shaped.

However, after 45 mins of pushing hard and baby not descending at all, my midwife saw sense and asked me to try laying down. The baby came out within minutes with no tears/ complications.. Seems that my body just didn't want to go along with being upright.

So just always be open to change and adapt during active labour and do what feels right to you. Good luck to you and your baby xx

Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 29/05/2022 16:08

All fours or bent over the sofa have been my positions. Both worked best for me.

Please
or

bakewellbride · 29/05/2022 16:08

First baby - on my side in birthing pool.

Second baby - on my knees on the bed.

Both good pushing stages - big babies but under half an hour and only gas and air. On my knees was the best position for me.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 29/05/2022 16:09

I was on my back with all of mine, couldn’t have stood up if I’d needed to !

Please
or

getoutofheree · 29/05/2022 16:15

Think about gravity. Go from there.

(we're doing it all wrong)

Please
or

speakout · 29/05/2022 16:16

op- good wishes for your birth.
I don't think there is a"best " way to give birth. Do what feels comfortable. What works for one woman is not always the best for everyone.
Sometimes our birth position is not always planned, we may need intervensions- and that may limit our plans.
Paramount is the safetly or ourselves and our child
For what is worth I gave birth to my DS on my back. I was exhausted and full of diamorphime. I gave birth to my DD lying on my side, a slight side twist, upper leg bent. It felt the most comfortable. No stitches or tears.

Please
or

lemondrop72 · 29/05/2022 19:58

First was on my back in a hospital. I hated hated hated it.

Second baby I gave birth at home in a pool leaning forward on the side of the pool. It was amazing. The water and position helped massively!!

Please
or

TommyShelby · 09/06/2022 23:10

On my side, leg on the midwives shoulder in the ‘call the midwife’ position 😂by that point I had a broken coccyx so couldn’t sit or lie on my back in any form which somewhat ruined my plans for the pool. On my side felt instinctive for some reason

Please
or

londonmummy1966 · 09/06/2022 23:32

I had both of mine on a birthing stool - really comfortable - like being on the loo but with a space for the midwife to watch what was going on/catch the baby rather than a loo underneath. It uses gravity so makes life easier for you but I found it less intense that standing/kneeling up. I tried a birthing pool but found that TENS was the best pain relief and you can't use that in the water.

Please
or

Eelicks · 14/06/2022 16:37

All fours - didn't get a choice in it just what my body does! Preferably in a birthing pool

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.