Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

VBAC vs ELCS
4

Chanel05 · 10/05/2022 17:05

Background: had my daughter at 40+2 in September 2020. Had an emergency section at 10cm after 2 hours of pushing and had a major PPH and blood transfusion. My dd was transverse.

I'm due my second baby between 23rd - 27th December. According to my dates (and I was spot on with my dd), most likely 27th.

I'm completely torn between an elcs and vbac. I think I'm a good candidate for a vbac due to going into spontaneous labour and fully dilating but there's a lot to factor in. I'm terrified of another section, especially an emergency. I'll have a toddler to contend with this time. Second babies are often early and I could have a baby born on Christmas Day if I leave it to fate! My dh is terrified of me having another (frightening) emcs and would rather I opted for an elective. I'm on the VBAC UK Facebook group but I don't find it gives balanced experiences of either (obviously - promoting VBAC).

So for those of you that have had to make your minds up about VBAC vs ELCS, what did you go for and why?

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Twizbe · 10/05/2022 17:13

I think with VBACs the ultimate deciding factor is whether you want to experience a vaginal birth. If you do, try for a VBAC. You can always move to an unplanned section sooner rather than later if you find things don't go to plan.

If you don't care too much about having a vaginal birth then I'd go ELEC

Please
or
to access all these features

ChagSameachDoreen · 30/05/2022 19:57

Can I join for advice?

OP, our situations are almost identical. My DD was born Sep 2020 by EMCS. Baby #2 due January 2023 and I'm weighing up the idea of a VBAC versus an ELCS.

Please
or
to access all these features

CBB2021 · 30/05/2022 20:29

My main advice would be that you don’t have to make a decision just yet, and you can wait to see what happens and how your pregnancy progresses.

I had an EMCS with my DD in July 2020 and I am currently booked in for an ELCS next week!

I was induced with DD at 40 weeks due to her measuring big and like you got all the way to 10cm when she showed signs of distress. They said I was a good candidate for a VBAC, but I said that I wouldn’t agree to being induced again. This baby has been measuring really big again and so the consultant advised that ELCS would be the safest delivery given the risk of shoulder dystocia and not wanting to be induced again.

Please
or
to access all these features

FoxtrotSkarloey · 30/05/2022 20:38

My first was ELCS due to breech baby and I had the choice of VBAC or ELCS for my second.

I found it VERY hard to get good guidance and pretty much had a ton of stats flung at me which made me want the baby never to come out! Ultimately, after quite a lot of digging it transpired that because I was by then over 40 (years old, not weeks Smile) the recommendation was not to go beyond 40 weeks if spontaneous labour hadn't started and they would suggest induction. HOWEVER due to the previous c section, they wouldn't use the most common/preferred induction method (sorry I can't recall the details) in case it was too effective and caused scar rupture AND that the threshold for deciding induction wasn't progressing and switching to EMCS is much lower than non-VBAC inductions.

All of which sounded like too many what ifs and my first ELCS had been so straight forward I opted for another, which fortunately also was.

This may be totally irrelevant if you are young and able to go more than 40 weeks plus I think the induction options may vary by Trust, but hopefully it's helpful for you to look into.

All the best to you both!

Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.