Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Induction advice

SickAndTiredAgain · 10/05/2022 12:44

There is no point to this post other than to get rid of some of my nervous energy, and ask some basic questions. If anyone is kind enough to indulge me, I'll be very grateful.

I'm waiting for a call at some point today to go in and start being induced. I'm 37 weeks and being induced due to a small leak in my waters about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had any more leaking since then, and there is still a lot of water round the baby.

If you've been induced, when they call to say come in, is it a "come in now" situation, or do they call and say "come in in x hours"?

Ive been told I'm going to the induction of labour suite and I guess will be moved to delivery when appropriate? But thinking back to labouring with DD, I was in a fair amount of pain before a point where I guess I'd be moved - do you just labour in the ward behind your curtain?

Because it's just a small hindwaters leak, I guess manual breaking of my waters may be involved in my induction - I don't know why but this freaks me out, even though I know it doesn't hurt. When they break them, does it all come out in a big gush, what do they put under you for this? When my waters broke with DD I was already 8cm and they broke like a tidal wave and went everywhere.

I'm very anxious about the whole thing. I've suffered from severe agoraphobia in the past and while it's mainly under control it gets worse when I'm pregnant. I had planned a home birth (as I had with DD) for this reason and the thought of being in hospital for an unspecified amount of time waiting for labour to start is making me very panicky, as is not knowing what methods will be used (I know that is just the nature of it, I'm not blaming anyone for a lack of information or anything). Any general tips for relaxing, or advice for inductions generally?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lavenderfine · 10/05/2022 13:45

Every trust is different In how they induce labour. In mine a date was booked a week or so advance. I went in that morning at 9am and a pessary was inserted, that was left in for I think 6/12? Hours (it was 3 years ago) and then again another one put in, by then I was dilated enough for them to break my waters, but I had to wait for a bed on delivery suite because they won't break your waters on a ward. I waited about 20 hours for a bed (I gave birth in October which is a very busy time of year for new babies apparently) then my waters were broken, I was given an hour/2 to contract on my own but I didn't and was put on a drip. If you ask your midwife she should be able to give you a leaflet on how induction works in your trust which should answer your questions more accurately. Be prepared for it to take a long time, especially with you only being 37 weeks. Take stuff to entertain yourself as it can be a lengthy and boring process x

Please
or

lavenderfine · 10/05/2022 13:47

I did contract by the way and was in a significant amount of pain on the induction ward but I wasn't dilating, hence the drip. They will offer you painkillers if you're in pain but if your progressing you should be moved to delivery suite at 4cm rather than be expected to labour behind a curtain, but again every trust is different.

Please
or

Thesmelloffreshlycutgrass · 10/05/2022 14:01

I was induced due to GD but mine was booked the week before, they just rang me with a date and time.
I went in at 7am, they put the pessary in and then I had to lie down for an hour while I was monitored. After that I was up and about with period like pains but nothing bad. About 2pm, I was watching tele whilst bouncing on an exercise ball and when I stood up, my waters broke.
They put the drip in and took me to delivery about 4pm and DD was born by 7.30pm.

I'd been told it would take longer and DD wouldnt be born that day so I'd taken lots to keep me occupied, films on the ipad, magazines, even face masks to have a pamper but I didnt use any of them!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.