Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Anyone used the Anibal?

1940s · 04/05/2022 16:51

I'm due baby two in July and am tempted for the Anibal to help prevent tearing? Anyone have any stories about using it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

1940s · 05/05/2022 08:29

Hopeful bump.... is it worth the money did anyone use it successfully?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RubyRoss · 07/05/2022 21:58

I just got one, but haven't used it yet as I'm only 32 week. At an antenatal class, the midwife suggested it as an alternative to perineal massage. I also read posts by people who said it helped them understand the feeling of pushing and to have more control over that.

Please
or

H34213 · 07/05/2022 22:58

Used the epi no which is same idea and babies near 9lb with no tearing at all, midwives were amazed as both were very quick labours with 98th centile heads which in their experience can result in tears. Would recommend to anyone, I can’t be sure this helped or if I was extremely lucky but definitely worth trying.

Please
or

1940s · 08/05/2022 19:54

Brilliant!! I'm starting tonight so will keep updated (for anyone who is interested!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

1940s · 08/05/2022 19:55

I didn't 'get on' with perineal massage with my first. I never felt I was doing it properly and found getting the right angle (when massively pregnant) really difficult

OP's posts:
Please
or

H34213 · 08/05/2022 22:15

Best of luck OP, it’s rather odd using it and I never got the full dilation so was worried before labour but thankfully couldn’t have went better so I wouldn’t worry if you don’t reach the full dilation, I’d say using it and stretching the muscle at all was what helped.

Please
or

1940s · 08/05/2022 22:42

I got it 'in' but couldn't manage to 'move' it. Will try again tomorrow but not convinced I gained anything tonight from using it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fizzyfish · 08/05/2022 22:52

Interested to know how you get on op, I'm 27 weeks and have been researching these devices, wasn't sure if they're worth the money

Please
or

1940s · 09/05/2022 09:01

Will let you know!

I'm also a little anxious that all of this activity down below could cause a UTI...

But anything to fry to avoid bad tearing I suppose!

OP's posts:
Please
or

1940s · 10/05/2022 11:23

I'm finding this thing tricky!!

For anyone interested in my updates 😂

The device is shaped a little like a number 8, or rather a snowman. And the idea is that 'half' of it sits inside and half outside so the tension is really on where the baby will crown / tears will occur.

But I can only seem to get the whole thing inside, I can't keep it half in half out - so when I expand it it's expanding inside my vagina rather on the perineum / crowning area.

Anyone used one I'd be grateful if you felt the same....

Baby boy is trending large on growth scans so I'm praying this works!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 10/05/2022 11:28

IME if you've already had a baby this kind of thing is not really necessary.

You have the knowledge of how to push and you are less likely to tear in subsequent births. I tore with DC1 but not DC 2 or 3 :) and I pushed out DS2 so quick they thought I would.

I also think that the idea of stretching the vaginal opening in advance to make it stretch easier in labour is bunk science and unlikely to work. It just doesn't work like that.

Please
or

1940s · 10/05/2022 11:31

First was a crash section and I'm very anxious and am aiming for a VBAC so personally this is helping my pre birth anxiety.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Staggersaurus · 10/05/2022 11:48

I thought this was going to be a baby name post 😂I’m very glad you are not considering Anibal as a name.

Good luck with the birth. Sorry I’ve no helpful advice other than to listen to your midwife at the crowning stage - they do all they can to stop you tearing.

Please
or

1940s · 10/05/2022 11:52

Staggersaurus

I thought this was going to be a baby name post 😂I’m very glad you are not considering Anibal as a name.

Good luck with the birth. Sorry I’ve no helpful advice other than to listen to your midwife at the crowning stage - they do all they can to stop you tearing.

Thank you!!!

My hormones can be blamed for some whacky name ideas but thankfully not that whacky ;)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Eelicks · 13/05/2022 23:02

100 million percent worth it. I tore with my first baby, only 6lb15oz but I delivered the head too quickly. Popped the head out and could feel the ripping :(

Used the aniball with the second -that teaches a different pushing technique (rather than forceful pushing whilst holding breath, you instead relax the pelvic floor on the 'in' breath then gently grip again on the out breath). Its counter-intuitive at first but you get the hang of it. Had second baby at home, 9lb8oz head 98th percentile delivered without a single tear.

When using the technique I could feel my body pushing for me, and the midwive said after she was amazed how controlled the head was coming out. After that experience I'm sure it's more the speed of head delivery rather than size of head that makes a difference to whether or not you tear and the aniball technique is all about strengthening the pelvic floor to control the speed.

As for midwife helping with head delivery - this really does depend on the midwife. I didn't have any help with either and as I say first baby this resulted in head being pushed out far too forcefully and a nasty tear.

Please
or

Eelicks · 13/05/2022 23:14

1940s

I'm finding this thing tricky!!

For anyone interested in my updates 😂

The device is shaped a little like a number 8, or rather a snowman. And the idea is that 'half' of it sits inside and half outside so the tension is really on where the baby will crown / tears will occur.

But I can only seem to get the whole thing inside, I can't keep it half in half out - so when I expand it it's expanding inside my vagina rather on the perineum / crowning area.

Anyone used one I'd be grateful if you felt the same....

Baby boy is trending large on growth scans so I'm praying this works!!

Also just on this- make sure you properly read the instructions through but the aim isn't to expand on the perineum to 'stretch' it. As a PP said it really doesn't work that way. The aim is to expand the balloon inside and practice expelling it in a slow controlled manner, gradually building up the size of the balloon and the strength of the pelvic floor. You need to keep hold of the balloon as well to stop it firing out.

It's different to perineum massage as its a pelvic floor trainer rather than designed to stretch the skin. Sorry I know I sound like an advert for it but I was just amazed how much of a difference it made. 😅

You can use it post-partum too to strengthen the pelvic floor back up so going to start doing that soon too.

Please
or

GalactatingGoddess · 14/05/2022 06:24

I used it from 36.5 weeks (a bit early I know) and yes as a PP said it's less about stretching more about gradual and calm expelling something large-ish from your vagina. You can try condition your perineum with oils as well and massage - just not while or before using the Anibal as it can break down the material which is a risk.

I loved mine. No tears at all!

Didn't know it could be used post partum for strengthening @Eelicks how would that work? I've missed a trick there since DD is 20 m now

Please
or

Eelicks · 14/05/2022 11:47

aniball.eu/postnatal-exercises-with-aniball/

There's def something about it in the instructions too but I've not had a go yet! I'm sure it's better late than never

Please
or

Upsideandundergarments · 15/05/2022 08:01

Just adding to this. I thought I'd failed using mine as I could never properly expel it and didn't get get it fully pumped up but I kept doing it a little focusing on the breathing and relaxing/ holding they recommend. As someone mentioned up thread at first it's really counter intuative. Anyway, despite never getting close to reaching the full size or mastering the expelling bit, when I was in labour I found myself reaching for the same exercises and they were incredibly, incredibly helpful. I felt in control and it felt like it allowed for a gentle, more controlled birth. No tears for me!

Please
or

MoltenLasagne · 15/05/2022 08:05

I used it and didn't tear despite having an epidural. As PPs it's about the technique of not pushing too fast I think and conditioning your pelvic floor, and it seemed it worked even though I couldn't feel it.

Please
or

MrsTrue · 08/06/2022 00:41

I used it but still ended up with a third degree tear and forceps delivery, sadly due to babies position and episiotomy. Learning the pushing technique was a huge help as I was stuck at 10cm for ages sue to home birth and abulance delay, but I knew what I needed to do and what muscles to use when it came to coached pushing. No guarantees but worth it still in my view just to help with feeling in control.

Please
or

RubyRoss · 08/06/2022 13:21

I tried to use it last week and could only just about insert it - deflated. I'm a bit scared to try again now. I used a water based lube as recommended. I can only hope it's easier for things to come out than go in.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.